Page 104 of 659 FirstFirst ... 45494979899100101102103104105106107108109110111114154204604 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

The quality of cover in some positions is debatable but the quantity of cover is there for every position except for left back. I would be very surprised and disappointed if we don't sign cover for Robertson at the very least

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I'm still fascinated by what we will (or won't) do in the upcoming window and how well our squad will (or won't) respond to any action or lack thereof.

On the one hand, there is a clamouring for an "upgrade from a position of strength" methodology which I totally get and Man United of the 90s and 00s are often cited as an excellent example of doing this to great effect to maintain a dominant position.

On the other hand, there was also a time where Ferguson sold off Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes, "replacing" them by buying a back-up keeper from Man City (Tony Cotton) and bringing through Scholes, Butt, Beckham and Neville, supplementing their squad nicely. This would have been a source of derision at the time if social media was around, but it wasn't.

As for us, we have Elliot, Jones, Williams and Brewster at different stages of development, with forgotten man Marko Grujic to be assessed as well - or sold to bolster transfer funds. Will they be able to contribute via 10-15 starts in all comps with minimal negative effect on results? Time will tell - but I trust Klopp's capacity to develop players and I trust Michael Edwards when it comes to negotiating sales that can help us out.

Whether we spend or are conservative with funds (this Summer) I'm quietly content. The lads have put together two fantastic seasons, which will include a League title and a Champion's League, which are the two "biggies" we go for - does this squad have a "Threepeat" in it before changing things a little? Time will tell - but if anyone can wring it out of them, it's Klopp.
    Well put, I'm still in the dark/unsure as to whether the club are going to spend (be it one big transfer or a couple of players to come in and challenge). They have thrown a couple of surprise transfers out over the last few years (maybe not last summer although Elliot was a surprise when it happened). As you say, they (or Jurgen) could be planning on getting the youth/younger players to step up and maybe offset that with a big signing? If players like Shaq, Wilson, Grujic and Lovren go we will still need left back and centre back backups. Big Div is a strange one, is he happy to sit on the bench or does he want to be a starter for another team? i'd be happy to give Brewster his spot if he is also happy to get very limited game time (fingers crossed no major injuries to the front 3).

Been loosely linked with Lewis of Norwich and Kelly of Bournemouth over the last few days, not seen much of both but heard promising things about Kelly when he was at Bristol City (think he's been injured a bit this season).

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    The quality of cover in some positions is debatable but the quantity of cover is there for every position except for left back. I would be very surprised and disappointed if we don't sign cover for Robertson at the very least
    Yup. I will be stunned if we don't sign a left back. There's even talk of Milner going back to Leeds.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    Yup. I will be stunned if we don't sign a left back. There's even talk of Milner going back to Leeds.
    And Larouci wanting out, we'd only be left with Gomez, Williams and Lewis who can play there with Lewis being the only left footer. Think there's another promising young left back in the U19's called Norris but it's way to early for him!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1988 View Post
    Been loosely linked with Lewis of Norwich and Kelly of Bournemouth over the last few days, not seen much of both but heard promising things about Kelly when he was at Bristol City (think he's been injured a bit this season).
    Apparently we tried to sign Kelly last year but he chose Bournemouth. Although, like Joe Gomez, he's said to play "anywhere across the back four" so might be useful.

Ake linked to City for 35 million. Do they have amounts of money that small?

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Apparently we tried to sign Kelly last year but he chose Bournemouth. Although, like Joe Gomez, he's said to play "anywhere across the back four" so might be useful.
    Have you seen him play at all? I think he's naturally left footed so he could cover Robbo and be our 4th centre back instead of Fab.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    Saving the big money for another £60 million fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    It's something like £193m spent on full-backs alone since Guardiola joined them.

Wonder what it's like to be in his shoes and look at what we accomplish with Trent and Robertson.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay