Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Given the past, you would suspect Sancho wouldn't go to City.

So in terms of moves to English clubs, it's likely Chelsea, United or us.

I wonder if we could have discrete conversations with him, with a view to saying "look, stay at Dortmund another year, we will come in for you at the end of the 20/21 season.

Things will hopefully be more "normal" by then and we may be due the next Alisson/Van Dijk style signing, ie someone who truly lifts the level of the first 11-16 players.

In a "normal" market we can surely sell a few unwanted players in the £10m to £15m range and supplement those sales with some sponsor/revenue generated cash to muster up a £90m or whatever bid that Dortmund probably take, negotiate some incentives in the small-print about "dibs" on players for loan and so on, keep the relationship good as we do with the Red Bull clubs.
    I'm hoping he'll stay at Dortmund for a bit longer, I feel that he may have been one of the reasons why Jude Bellingham signed for them.

Didn't we try that with Werner?

Doesn't work when another club tells you they'll build a team around you and offer another £100k a week. He'll be a Utd player before the new season starts.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.........and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post

Doesn't work when another club tells you they'll build a team around you and offer another £100k a week. He'll be a Utd player before the new season starts.
    With Werner there was the added complication of Covid-19. We'll never know for sure.

Sancho might fancy time with United - they have plenty of English players and a young, England-centric attack. So perhaps you are right.

We might know a little more by the end of Sunday though.

Rushie knows...

Liverpool legend Ian Rush says Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp’s focus on bringing academy stars through will make him as successful as if he spent vast sums on new signings.

The Reds ended a 30-year wait for a league title this season, lifting the Premier League trophy on Wednesday.

However, Klopp has already faced questions about the potential of exciting new additions at Anfield next season. Indeed, the club’s reluctance to pay Timo Werner’s release clause fuelled such talk.

Klopp has insisted in recent weeks, though, that the financial impacts of the pandemic have skewed his side’s transfer plans.

What’s more, he has also boasted about the potential of youngsters such as Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliott and Neco Williams.

According to Rush, Klopp will still continue to breed success if he goes down the academy route as opposed to adding marquee signings.

“Werner is a great player and people said they should have got him but there is a reason they didn’t get him,” Rush told the PA news agency.

“I am sure he would have loved to come to Liverpool but I think Klopp is right in what he is doing. They should want to come not for the money but because of Liverpool Football Club.

“Liverpool have their principles and everyone wants to play for them but at the end of the day they have to be the right player.

“Look at the front three. Is someone going to come to play second-fiddle to them because I’d be surprised if anyone would get in front of those three?

“If you look at the defence the two full-backs are fantastic and you have [Joe] Gomez and [Virgil] Van Dijk. The midfield is fantastic.”

Quote Originally Posted by toneata View Post

This.

Chelsea need to buy defensive help, United would be the likeliest fit for Sancho. We won’t pay the price and we need LB, CB, striker more anyway.

Love seeing us continue to target prospects. They either become good enough, can be sold at a profit or if they don't work out, can be sold at minimal loss.

Emiliano Buendia is 23 and has 34, 38 and 40 goals in his last three seasons, so seemingly not injured a lot.

Could likely move Shaqiri and Origi on and have Buendia hoover up the appearances of both players - and that would work out financially quite well for us whilst improving the average age of the squad.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Love seeing us continue to target prospects. They either become good enough, can be sold at a profit or if they don't work out, can be sold at minimal loss.

Emiliano Buendia is 23 and has 34, 38 and 40 goals in his last three seasons, so seemingly not injured a lot.

Could likely move Shaqiri and Origi on and have Buendia hoover up the appearances of both players - and that would work out financially quite well for us whilst improving the average age of the squad.
    Did you mean appearances? Otherwise that is a fantastic goal-scoring record!

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Did you mean appearances? Otherwise that is a fantastic goal-scoring record!
    I did mean appearances yes, sorry - I'm impressed by his (non-) injury record and it's one of the first things I look at in any potential transfer solution.

Goals ? Games ...
    He would replace who in the starting line up ?

I assume , front 3 !?

1 goal in the premier league hmmm

We need goals from the front 3 not wind.
    “We have to change, from doubters to believers—now.”