Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    I'm sure other clubs will have a problem to keep important players due to contracts right?

No of course not.

Christ we must be the poorest in the league.
    Important players approaching 30? Probably - one of them is our currently vice captain, though that wasn't down to his wages I'd assume. I can FSG not wanting to give him 200kpw for example.

Especially when we're already paying as much as City in wages but have nowhere near the squad depth.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    My only concern about it all is that the money we should certainly have in reserve has not been taken out of the club and into the general FSG coffers
    Its always said they dont take money out..
    Profits in the last few years would cover the new stand and training complex costs entirely.

The idea we are some form of lidl football club doesnt hold much water imo.

We should be buying younger players who are also first team ready so we can turnover the squad and improve our player pool.

VVD Hendo Gini and the front 3 arent exactly old now but they are the areas where we could add smartly.

I know one young talent who can play across the front 3 positions. He alone would be a good addition.
    A young leftsided centreback who could play left back would be a nice bonus.

The thiago rumour doesnt make much sense at all imo given the clubs strategy to date.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Its always said they dont take money out..
    Profits in the last few years would cover the new stand and training complex costs entirely.

The idea we are some form of lidl football club doesnt hold much water imo.
    Also the losses in yesteryear prior to Klopp werent massive and more than offset by the value increase of the club and more general revenue stream increases.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    The thiago rumour doesnt make much sense at all imo given the clubs strategy to date.
    Think it's one of 2 things.

1. Us putting Wijnaldum under a bit of pressure to commit his future by putting a link out there.

2. Bringing in another incredibly experienced footballer that will benefit the youngsters, is excellent in his role, is possibly statistically under-valued by his club and has a reputation as being the man who helps foreign talent integrate when it comes to the dressing room. Alcantara may be a "too good to ignore" player (our data analysts and Klopp will know the answer there) and it's very possible that he excels in metrics that could give us an edge in our continued evolution. He certainly progresses a ball insanely well and offers up chances on a plate by taking multiple opposition players out of a team - which could make the difference for us in Champion's League ties.

[QUOTE=Insidious;2640585]Think it's one of 2 things.

1. Us putting Wijnaldum under a bit of pressure to commit his future by putting a link out there.

2. Bringing in another incredibly experienced footballer that will benefit the youngsters, is excellent in his role, is possibly statistically under-valued by his club and has a reputation as being the man who helps foreign talent integrate when it comes to the dressing room. Alcantara may be a "too good to ignore" player (our data analysts and Klopp will know the answer there) and it's very possible that he excels in metrics that could give us an edge in our continued evolution. He certainly progresses a ball insanely well and offers up chances on a plate by taking multiple opposition players out of a team - which could make the difference for us in Champion's League ties.[/QUOTE
    r
    I think Gini is probably going, for a last payday. he has won everything at the club and maybe wants a new start somewhere. Thiago is almost a like for like replacement, maybe a bit bettre, but he is 29 isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Lallana gone.
    Clyne gone.
    Lovren to be confirmed.
    Shaqiri - ???
    Origi - ???

Would be some serious saving if we enter 20/21 without them all. Without looking it up (can do later) that would be between £400k and £450k per week that could surely be put to better use than currently, with all due respect to those involved.
    All of them bar Clyne have had useful contributions this season so I’d hope if they all went that a few more come in.

As I've always said, we should try to improve our team/squad in multiple ways i.e. through our academy/youth system, through good bits of business/value players, and by buying one or two big name/top quality players.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Think it's one of 2 things.

2. Bringing in another incredibly experienced footballer that will benefit the youngsters, is excellent in his role, is possibly statistically under-valued by his club and has a reputation as being the man who helps foreign talent integrate when it comes to the dressing room. Alcantara may be a "too good to ignore" player (our data analysts and Klopp will know the answer there) and it's very possible that he excels in metrics that could give us an edge in our continued evolution. He certainly progresses a ball insanely well and offers up chances on a plate by taking multiple opposition players out of a team - which could make the difference for us in Champion's League ties.
    1. Makes sense, but Thiago could be a replacement for lallana and/or Milner.

2. All very nicely described but hes still bucking the trend and our previous signings who were younger, they have all matured and developed.

Milner is the only former signing that would be like Thiago (both 29 yo) and its hardly like our group needs his leadership qualities as one could have argued with Milner back then.

Could well do.

Just seems at odds with the hiterto plan. Weve got the squad leaders already. If gini were to leave im not sure theres a dearth of leaders to drive the culture and push the younger lads.

Milner will leave as well though. If Gini goes, we're left a bit short on experience in the middle of the park. If the money is right, I'd be all for Thiago, even at his age. The man's class.

It does seem a bit odd, but if it's value for money, I'm all for it.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non