Page 210 of 659 FirstFirst ... 110160200203204205206207208209210211212213214215216217220260310 ... LastLast
Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Was Klopp's downfall at Dortmund because the owners failed to back him after selling star players ?
    Randomly remembered this post so I dug something out that might be relevant to your interests -

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.html

Jürgen Klopp was in his third week as Liverpool’s manager, in November 2015, when the team’s director of research, Ian Graham, arrived at his office carrying computer printouts. Graham wanted to show Klopp, whom he hadn’t yet met, what his work could do. Then he hoped to persuade Klopp to actually use it.

Graham spread out his papers on the table in front of him. He began talking about a game that Borussia Dortmund, the German club that Klopp coached before joining Liverpool, had played the previous season. He noted that Dortmund had numerous chances against the lightly regarded Mainz, a smaller club that would end up finishing in 11th place. Yet Klopp’s team lost, 2-0. Graham was starting to explain what his printouts showed when Klopp’s face lit up. “Ah, you saw that game,” he said. “It was crazy. We killed them. You saw it!”

Graham had not seen the game. But earlier that fall, as Liverpool was deciding who should replace the manager it was about to fire, Graham fed a numerical rendering of every attempted pass, shot and tackle by Dortmund’s players during Klopp’s tenure into a mathematical model he had constructed. Then he evaluated each of Dortmund’s games based on how his calculations assessed the players’ performances that day. The difference was striking. Dortmund had finished seventh during Klopp’s last season at the club, but the model determined that it should have finished second. Graham’s conclusion was that the disappointing season had nothing to do with Klopp, though his reputation had suffered because of it. He just happened to be coaching one of the unluckiest teams in recent history.

Isn't there another financial uncertainty that has come up in the last couple of weeks? The Chinese broadcasters withheld their final payment for rights to the Premier League content. They did this because of the Covid disruption and claimed what they got wasn't what they paid for. The amount of money was not small - I believe they withheld something like £140 million from a total of around £510 million. Something like that. In retaliation, the Premier league has cancelled their access to the football.

What will the knock on effects be? How much less money will be coming from China and elsewhere next season? I doubt anyone knows but this kind of thing does have the potential to contribute towards liquidation for those teams that are stretching themselves on the basis of future income. Aside from all the panic and disappointment that we haven't signed the same big names as Chelsea, some consideration has to be given to riding out this storm. A time may come where we are thankful we didn't overspend unnecessarily.

Cheers for that Sid. Is there sure a thing as luck or do you make your own luck ?
    Now we're getting deeeeep !!!!

Actually no one is really spending anything apart from Chelsea and Man-city, but whats new there?? they done it for last 20 years.. (Chelsea first 10 years)
    Man-United and Arsenal have done some business but nothing major.. Everton like Man-city and a bit part Chelsea are being backed by wealthy owners and the money isnt coming from the club itself. The rest have done nothing as far has i'm aware.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Football without fans is an awful spectacle. Bloody awful to watch and there's no way it can sustain the huge amounts it's receiving from tv companies. Especially now IPTV is the way forward. Which is why I can see Facebook and the like getting involved with match rights.
    People especially kids need everything instant and social media platforms give them that.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Actually no one is really spending anything apart from Chelsea and Man-city, but whats new there?? they done it for last 20 years.. (Chelsea first 10 years)
    Man-United and Arsenal have done some business but nothing major.. Everton like Man-city and a bit part Chelsea are being backed by wealthy owners and the money isnt coming from the club itself. The rest have done nothing as far has i'm aware.
    ?????

Even newcastle are spending money half the clubs are.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Cheers for that Sid. Is there sure a thing as luck or do you make your own luck ?
    Now we're getting deeeeep !!!!
    Hahaha - remember Suarez hit the post (a record number of times?) semi-constantly in...was it 11/12?

Hitting the post and the ball not going in is still technically off-target, but that was definitely an "unlucky" time!

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Isn't there another financial uncertainty that has come up in the last couple of weeks? The Chinese broadcasters withheld their final payment for rights to the Premier League content. They did this because of the Covid disruption and claimed what they got wasn't what they paid for. The amount of money was not small - I believe they withheld something like £140 million from a total of around £510 million. Something like that. In retaliation, the Premier league has cancelled their access to the football.
    Indeed - touched on that on the previous page (this thread is improving faster than Aquilani) and I think LFC will lose out on £25m - who knows if there will be further loss from other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    ?????

Even newcastle are spending money half the clubs are.
    How much have they spent ?????????????????????? loads? who else? come on clever clogs

I see the Spanish media are at it again. Now we are linked with the diver Griezmann..I wouldnt touch him with Kevs two inch bargepole