Page 215 of 659 FirstFirst ... 115165205208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222225265315 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,150 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Also the point that we've spent fuck all since Klopp joined is simply not true. Our net spend is very low, but our expenses have ballooned.

And "eventually" pay for itself... even by your logic that surely means we don't have the money from it right now, right? So we're still in the red from that expense. Simply hand-waving that away is not prudent.

E.g. you get a new car for 1000 pounds that uses 10 pounds worth of gas less than your current car each year. You sell the old car for 500. You're currently 500 pounds worse off, even if your car pays for itself in 50 years.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 7th September 2020 at 10:07 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Perhaps you should just disregard the rest - I'm not that good with finances and am not really interested in a discussion about the topic. Just answer me what it would take to convince you that LFC is investing pretty much everything it's earning back into the club.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 7th September 2020 at 10:20 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Lets wait until the end of the transfer window before we get our knickers in a twist.

That might be a good idea, but tbf to we can probably make a well educated guess as to how much we'll sign based on the previous three windows.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Lets wait until the end of the transfer window before we get our knickers in a twist.
    I'm sure we'll end up with Fati Haland Neres

That's it, sell the front 3 time to think of the future

maybe FSG could pocket some money too if we get big offers!! Can go towards the midfield re-work

Now I can see this argument from both sides to a certain extent but what I would say is FSG need to be very careful.
    The main reason we are currently worth so much more than when they bought us is down to our success on the pitch.
    And while I accept we have reinvested much of the increased revenues in salaries etc if they don’t maintain the squad depth and quality our value as an asset to FSG will soon drop back from whence it came.

All that said, the best line from your to and fro with Noods, Bali is this..

“And I'd ask you not to bring my age into this - in my experience it's usually a sign you've got nothing of actual value to say, which I highly doubt is the case with you.”

Good to see respect where it’s due is not totally dead on the internet.
    Good way to debate a point Bali, people who get personal usually do so because they don’t have a valid argument.
    Even though I agree with Noods about the folly of youth .... hahahaha

Well put, miller.

You're right that our on-pitch success is a large (probably the largest) factor in the club becoming so much more valuable. As Noods pointed out the other day, it's actually probably a decent time to sell. FSG will be aware of that I recon, which might be one of the reasons they're playing their cards close to their chest.

As much as we all want investment, we can all agree we'll be fine even if we buy noone in the next two seasons in the sense that we'll be favourites to get into the CL and thanks to winning the league, we should get a navigable group in the CL and potentially a slightly easier draw in the first knock-out round this year.

That's the minimum we should be aiming for each season to keep the club in the good financial spot where it currently resides.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Having finally won a Premier League, I would enjoy a 7th Champions League this season far more than I did No6.
    How about a double ...

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Noods, with the greatest of respect as you know I love the fact you're on this forum, I'd love to agree with you, I really would, but given what little I know about the club's finances, I simply can't.

Your entire, and I mean entire, argument is based on the feeling that we should be spending more money. It might surprise you to hear that I share that feeling.

You say we have plenty of money, but what do you base that on? These two summaries are the most understandable for a normal person ones I've come across. If you have something better, please share it - if FSG are screwing LFC over, I'd love to know it.

Now it seems that your opinion that FSG are underspending cannot be disproven by the numbers (since they're all lies apparently and / or the work of the devil). What would it take to convince you that LFC is investing pretty much everything it's earning back into the club?

I highly doubt you'd want the club going into debt, so let's stick with that question formulation ^.
    Based on feeling? Not at all. Wanting us to spend money/beef up our squad is based on a combination of things (but certainly not 'feelings'), namely prudence, logic and common sense. Have you never heard of the idiom "never put all your eggs in one basket"? That is what we are currently doing, and it is both very risky and unnecessary given that we are a position where we don't need to do such a thing.

I have already given you reasons as to why our finances are in much better shape than you or FSG would have us believe. On a very basic level just imagine a set of scales. On one side put all the things adding to our finances, then on the other side put those things which might reduce the amount of money we have to spend. The things on the 'plus' side far outweigh those on the 'minus' side, and I'm sorry but anyone who cannot see that the 'plus' side far outweighs the 'minus' side is to put it into a single definition 'beyond help', either because as I mentioned before they are either incapable of seeing/comprehending the reality of our position/situation, or they simply don't want to.

FSG are not "screwing over" LFC, but they are doing what almost all businesses (especially big businesses) do i.e. trying to maximise profit, often as in this case by reducing costs (other than things that add to the overall value of the business i.e. fixed assets) as much as they possibly can without affecting the quality of the product too much, something which can leave you on a knife edge. Have you ever eaten/drunk something only to find id didn't taste as good as it once did despite supposedly being recently advertised as being "our best ever recipe"? That's down to the company trying to do what FSG are doing and reduce costs as much as possible.

Football is not a 'business' in the normal sense. Unless you keep investing, eventually (sometimes immediately) you can go from being right at the top of the tree to an also ran, and when that happens it can take a very long time to get back up to the summit, which is something we should know better than virtually anyone else.

I want to see FSG investing a level of money that is commensurate with not only a club of our standing, but with one that is in the position that we currently are both off and on the pitch. Do I expect us to go out and spend say £300m on players? No. Do I expect/want us to go out and invest enough to make sure that we have a squad that matches our standing, which is one of the biggest clubs in world football who are the current league champions, the most successful club in England, and are one of only five clubs to have their own European cup/CL trophy? Yes I do.

We are currently in a position where possibly just one injury to a key player could completely derail our season. We should not be in that position. If we do go into the new season with that being the case (which it currently does look like we will), I'm sorry but that is negligent in the extreme, and based on what we/FSG have 'spent' on transfers since they came in, it seems that they are doing this because first and foremost they are businessmen looking to do things on the cheap and that is not good news when it comes to football, especially when you are competing with clubs who are not being run as a business.

It's a good thing we have Klopp, who is a master of working with on a limited budget. I dread to think where we'd be without him, and I am dreading what is going to happen when he leaves because most other managers/successful clubs need sizeable budgets in order to become/remain successful.

There must be more to it than success on the field on why the club is worth alot more, we have only won 3 trophies in the 10 years since they bought the club. Chelsea City and United have all won more in that time.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.