Page 219 of 659 FirstFirst ... 119169209212213214215216217218219220221222223224225226229269319 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Based on feeling? Not at all. [...]
    The rest of your post very much suggests otherwise though. At least in my view.

I won't go through it line by line, but broadly you say you've given reasons as to why our finances are in much better shape. You haven't. What you give is "we won the league => we should be flush with cash". Sounds decent but it's a bit of a non sequitur. You've not looked any deeper as to why that might not be the case. By that same logic I can (somewhat baselessly) assert "we won the league by 18 points => we've got the best team and don't need to add to it". Or "we have some of the best players in the league, of course we're broke - we're spending it all on wages!".

Our dependency on individual players does not play a role in this discussion. We can talk about that, but it would dilute the current post. Broadly I agree with you.

You talk about scales but refuse to actually put anything beyond what you call "common sense" on either side. Then you proclaim one side weighs more. Put some numbers there and let's weigh them - this is exactly what was done in the two sources I provided - it would seem they do exactly what you want, but for some reason you think they're paid FSG shills. Or that FSG are cooking the books I guess? You don't trust the numbers. You trust your gut on purely financial matters above all else. Which is precisely why I consider your view to be based not on facts but on your personal feelings.

This is why I asked you what would convince you that you're wrong - a simple answer to that question would get us a long way to understanding each other's position I think. What I'm currently getting is that your view cannot be changed by any means, which is, in my book at least, an incredibly bad thing.

So, Noods, what would convince you that you're wrong?
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

We've now linked up with Cadburys chocolate as an "official partner"
    All these partners and seemly no money to spend on players. Someone is telling porkies me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    All these partners and seemly no money to spend on players. Someone is telling porkies me thinks.
    Liverpool v Bournville would be a sweet game

hat/coat
    Once a Red,
    you'll never walk alone

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Can you please explain how net spending £76 million over 5 years or £15 million a season has left the club with no disposable income ? [...]
    I'll try, CC, but I'm no financial expert, so I might not be reading this correctly.

@SwissRamble
    #LFC posted an impressive £42m pre-tax profit in 2019, which meant £207m profits over last 3 years (£40m in 2017 and £125m in 2018). This was the second highest in the Premier League in that period, only surpassed by #THFC £278m, but twice as much as the next highest #MUFC £110m.
    However, worth noting that this £207m pre-tax profit is entirely due to £207m profit on player sales. Excluding these profits, #LFC would have broken-even. #LFC have spent everything they earned on expenses: revenue £1,353m less operating expenses £1,338m plus interest £15m.

To reinforce this point, #LFC operating profit was just £1m in 2019 and £15m over the last 3 years. That said, most football clubs actually lose money at the operating level, though #THFC and #MUFC are exceptions to the rule with £205m and £120m respectively over last 3 years.

The big factor we as fans apparently haven't really been thinking enough about is "player amortisation". As you can see it's cost us 250m over the last three years. From my limited understanding player amortisation is basically PA = (player transfer fee / length of contract). So not basically not paying all the money when you sign the player according to the books (even if you do), but reporting him costing you PA per year. Player sales are reported as "all da moneez come in at once" I think. Which is why we had such a huge transfer profit in 17/18.

This is a decent piece on it I think: https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

Your last question (how can we afford more before Klopp vs after Klopp) seems to not reflect reality. From what I can tell. Money is dirty business and one I don't understand particularly well.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    They should give us a Boost

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Brilliant. I won't even try to beat it, so here's a photo of Barnsey instead.

I bet you can squeal like a pig!

There was a good article in The Athletic about FSG and the transfer market etc recently and I can’t find it now unfortunately. But one thing I remember was they are very concerned with the coming wage renegotiations/new contracts coming in the 21/22 season since many of our best players are out of contract in 2023. Looking at the current wages and contracts table is helpful. It’s now in the top four most expensive in the world as of the end of last season.

https://www.sportekz.com/football/liverpool-players-salaries/amp/

TAA and Robertson are on low wages considering their importance. TAA making same wage as Origi must rankle him privately. Fans want transfers every year no matter where they finish. Wish we had more cover on the bench and I wish we had gotten a veteran CB, but I understand how/why the owners are going about it the way they are.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    Hopefully that boost will have a ripple effect
    Once a Red,
    you'll never walk alone

Quote Originally Posted by worldpanel View Post
    Hopefully that boost will have a ripple effect
    Too Flakey for me

I'm all for giving it a Twirl
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century