Page 331 of 659 FirstFirst ... 231281321324325326327328329330331332333334335336337338341381431 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,310 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Would surely cost an extortionate amount - if we were in a position to go as big as that, he wouldn't be top of the list by any stretch.
    Probably end up on the bench half the time. His body has taken some punishment.

Tactics and fitness have moved on so much that individual flair players struggle to shine like the 80s and 90s. Too much tactics involved now and not enough brilliance IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Tactics and fitness have moved on so much that individual flair players struggle to shine like the 80s and 90s. Too much tactics involved now and not enough brilliance IMO.
    Tactics have changed as the rules have changed. No tackle from behind is HUGE - as is cameras in every concievable place. means the more cynical part of the game is far harder to profit from.

Attacking players have it miles easier today.. Not only in terms of career longevity but also in goals. think of all those free kicks and penalties - red and yellow cards that never were. Every generation thinks it's own football is unique - and in some ways it is - BUT what makes a great player still makes a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Tactics have changed as the rules have changed. No tackle from behind is HUGE - as is cameras in every concievable place. means the more cynical part of the game is far harder to profit from.

Attacking players have it miles easier today.. Not only in terms of career longevity but also in goals. think of all those free kicks and penalties - red and yellow cards that never were. Every generation thinks it's own football is unique - and in some ways it is - BUT what makes a great player still makes a great player.
    Agree. The point I’m making is that currently great players seem to be players that can pass and move and locate space where there is none. I’d imagine Diego would be unbelievably press resistant in a midfield but I don’t think he’d get as much opportunity to just slalom through defences like he did. Yes he wouldn’t be getting the legs kicked off him but he’d be dealing with players with tactical knowledge, a game plan rather than just kick him and speed. Of course he will adapt his game too. No one around that even imitates his style these days.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Agree. The point I’m making is that currently great players seem to be players that can pass and move and locate space where there is none. I’d imagine Diego would be unbelievably press resistant in a midfield but I don’t think he’d get as much opportunity to just slalom through defences like he did. Yes he wouldn’t be getting the legs kicked off him but he’d be dealing with players with tactical knowledge, a game plan rather than just kick him and speed. Of course he will adapt his game too. No one around that even imitates his style these days.
    Perhaps but he played at the height of the Italian league and its meanest defensive setups. Most tacatically astute league known at the time and perhaps in history. Really think todays press would be heaven to him. That was all he wanted really - - just press me please.

The modern game wouldn't be the modern game with a player like him around IMO. It has evolved with more mortal humans like Messi and Ronaldo players you can stop legally.

Players were way more technically gifted in the past they had to be playing on mudheaps. If you werent that good. you'd spend half your time running after the ball after you miss controlled the possession. (maybe thats one reason they played long ball a lot,but that's a side issue). Now a days 1 footed players get away with being 1 footed.They dont have to worry about the ball bobbling onto their opposite side..

I do think modern day footballers would end up winning over all due to fitness. But then again the human body hasnt changed much in the last few decades. so there no reason players in the past couldnt have been come physically up to the same levels.
    Its an interest thought on who was better now or then. One thing is for sure talented players have always existed.
    They usually stand out and head shoulders above the rest.. no matter what era they played in.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Players were way more technically gifted in the past they had to be playing on mudheaps. If you werent that good. you'd spend half your time running after the ball after you miss controlled the possession. (maybe thats one reason they played long ball a lot,but that's a side issue). Now a days 1 footed players get away with being 1 footed.They dont have to worry about the ball bobbling onto their opposite side..

I do think modern day footballers would end up winning over all due to fitness. But then again the human body hasnt changed much in the last few decades. so there no reason players in the past couldnt have been come physically up to the same levels.
    Its an interest thought on who was better now or then. One thing is for sure talented players have always existed.
    They usually stand out and head shoulders above the rest.. no matter what era they played in.
    I think the complete opposite. Think technical ability is far more apparent now. Dribbling less so. Tactics back in the 80s in England anyway was 442 get outside the full back and sling in the cross for the hatchet man storming through the middle. Cbs jobs was to tackle head and hoof. Now you have to be able to step out and play. It’s just a completely different game now. Less room for individual brilliance though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Aye he is dead (for all of a few months) but shouldn't stop people being able to see.

The tactical debates on here are funny and boring in equal measure. - especially when you know it's by people who haven't even played at the top level.

This is what entertainment looks like Kev.. If it bothers you - then I am not sure you are a real football fan.

Watch and learn

Wow....but what's with the awful track????

Mbappe is only interested in joining Real Madrid or Liverpool, should he leave PSG this summer. (L'Equipe, via Mail)

Liverpool and Manchester United have contacted West Ham midfielder Declan Rice's agent, with interest in the 22-year-old England international rising as Chelsea step away from a transfer bid of their own. (Star)