Page 344 of 659 FirstFirst ... 244294334337338339340341342343344345346347348349350351354394444 ... LastLast
Results 3,431 to 3,440 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Gomez is poor in the air, was beginning to be targeted for this by opposition sides searching for a chink in our armour and he's just not a good defender, put him in a foot race to a ball knocked into an area and he's great, but put him in a situation where the opposition have good possession in our half and there is actual real defending to do, reading what's on taking great positions and he's an outright liability.
    Im not sure what real defending means you can either defend or you cant.

He has played regular football for us since he was 19 years old you dont do that if you cant play.

He is still very young for a CB also and nowhere near his peak and he also has a wealth of top level experience.

Well over the last 2 seasons they havent exposed him that much as we barely lost any games as 97 and 99 points shows.

The ONLY thing that stops he reaching his full potential is injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post

He has played regular football for us since he was 19 years old you dont do that if you cant play.

He is still very young for a CB also and nowhere near his peak and he also has a wealth of top level experience.

Well over the last 2 seasons they havent exposed him that much as we barely lost any games as 97 and 99 points shows.

This from planet football 23may2020
    https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/comparing-liverpools-record-with-and-without-joe-gomez-at-cb-since-2018-19/
    Our record with Joe was pretty good till then over a substantial period.
    Defence performance has been poor since restart including vvd.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/comparing-liverpools-record-with-and-without-joe-gomez-at-cb-since-2018-19/
    Only loss with him this season was at Villa Park.

Cant blame him alone for that we were all over the place that night and even Virgil played that game.

That was the same day United lost 6-1 at home to Spurs and City lost 5-2 to Leicester around a week before which shows how BCD and lack of pre season can affect the best teams.

He hasn't played that regularly, mostly played at LB and RB too, real defending is what most CBs spend a good few seasons doing to become top CBs, playing in sides that aren't the best sides, in which the opposition dominate and they have to do a lot of defending against better sides with lots of possession in and around their final third, and those are the exact situations in which Gomez regularly shows his lack of ability

He's already at his full potential, need to bring another commanding CB in. or two and send Joe out on loan to an expected low end of the table club where he'll have plenty of real defending to do
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Stats stats and more stats, if you want to look at stats, look at the run of games when Fab was out and our press and counter press was as good as it has ever been under Jurgen and the amount of chances we restricted so many opposition sides to, and look at the defensive contributions, that show both Cbs had barely anything to do in so many games

I actually think Virgil lost some of his form because our press and counter press was so fucking good, he barely had to do any defending for most of so many games

Gomez does daft things, I've seen him give 3 or 4 goals away when there's a player in between him and Trent that Trent can never get the right side of, the opposition have a player running at Virgil, who also has the option of the other player to cross to, you know, that Virgil who went an entire season without anyone dribbling past him and Gomez has gone charging over to Van Dijk, leaving the man between him and Trent, the players put an easy ball in, goal - That's an example of him being required to do real defending

Other examples are of him getting dry bummed by Sterling and others when having to defend one v one

He's not a good defender, brilliant in a foot race, but for me, he will never ever be a top CB

He hasn't played that regularly, mostly played at LB and RB too, real defending is what most CBs spend a good few seasons doing to become top CBs, playing in sides that aren't the best sides, in which the opposition dominate and they have to do a lot of defending against better sides with lots of possession in and around their final third, and those are the exact situations in which Gomez regularly shows his lack of ability

He's already at his full potential, need to bring another commanding CB in. or two and send Joe out on loan to an expected low end of the table club where he'll have plenty of real defending to do
    You have said he hasnt played many games than state you would like us to sign someone who has played even less in Schurrs.

Gomez will NEVER EVER be loaned out he is FAR too good.

Gomez would like much better if he played for a bus parking team like Burnley/WBA/Newcastle they pretty much play 5-4-1 systems with a CDM so if they do balls up someone is close by to help.

Playing in a very attack minded team like us its much harder as a CB imo as we dont have a line of defenders.

I just think people over rate other teams players at times you play for us/Utd you are under the spotlight every game you dont get that at bus parking crap.

Matip is better we know that but its not easy to get better than him unless you pay big.

Stats stats and more stats, if you want to look at stats, look at the run of games when Fab was out and our press and counter press was as good as it has ever been under Jurgen and the amount of chances we restricted so many opposition sides to, and look at the defensive contributions, that show both Cbs had barely anything to do in so many games

I actually think Virgil lost some of his form because our press and counter press was so fucking good, he barely had to do any defending for most of so many games

Gomez does daft things, I've seen him give 3 or 4 goals away when there's a player in between him and Trent that Trent can never get the right side of, the opposition have a player running at Virgil, who also has the option of the other player to cross to, you know, that Virgil who went an entire season without anyone dribbling past him and Gomez has gone charging over to Van Dijk, leaving the man between him and Trent, the players put an easy ball in, goal - That's an example of him being required to do real defending

Other examples are of him getting dry bummed by Sterling and others when having to defend one v one

He's not a good defender, brilliant in a foot race, but for me, he will never ever be a top CB
    I have seen him also completely destroy Sterling too and his reward for that was to be attacked the following day on England duty by the prick.

You have said he hasnt played many games than state you would like us to sign someone who has played even less in Schurrs.

Gomez will NEVER EVER be loaned out he is FAR too good.

Gomez would like much better if he played for a bus parking team like Burnley/WBA/Newcastle they pretty much play 5-4-1 systems with a CDM so if they do balls up someone is close by to help.

Playing in a very attack minded team like us its much harder as a CB imo as we dont have a line of defenders.

I just think people over rate other teams players at times you play for us/Utd you are under the spotlight every game you dont get that at bus parking crap.

Matip is better we know that but its not easy to get better than him unless you pay big.
    Schuurs was brilliant in both games v us, happy to be left and play one v one against Mane for the full 90 of both games and did so brilliantly, if you put Gomez one v one for 5 minutes against Mane, Mane would absolutely destroy him

I have seen him also completely destroy Sterling too and his reward for that was to be attacked the following day on England duty by the prick.
    When he came on at RB for the last 15 minutes of our 3-1 win, hardly destroying him is it?

I think the exact opposite, I think pairing the best CB in world football with our high line and with our press and counter press at its best reducing almost any defending he has to do to a foot race to attempted balls over the top or through the channel or looking to win headers from such attempted balls is the best use of his limited ability and makes many believe he is actually a much better player than he actually is, it's when opposition sides actually get good possession in our half and he has to take the right positions and make the right decisions that it all goes wrong for Joe

That our press and counter press when he has played in the last couple of seasons have prevented practically every team we've played having any periods of sustained possession in our half and reduced most opponents to playing attempted balls over the top and hopeful longer balls down the channels has protected his inexperience a lot