Page 384 of 659 FirstFirst ... 284334374377378379380381382383384385386387388389390391394434484 ... LastLast
Results 3,831 to 3,840 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    VAR is crap for everyone nobody wants it but its clear we are not getting the same decisions as others....I dont want wrong/unfair ones in our favour I want the right decision.
    We've had ten goals disallowed since the start of the 2019/20 season - almost twice as many as any other team - a couple of other teams have had 6 disallowed I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    We've had ten goals disallowed since the start of the 2019/20 season - almost twice as many as any other team - a couple of other teams have had 6 disallowed I think.
    Exactly and I dont have the stats.

Two seasons running we have scored two late winners against Villa after being done over by perfectly good Firmino goals.

It really does need to go imo but it wont

I am just waiting to see if we can climb to the dizzy heights of 13th highest net spenders in the league by the end of summer 2021

Will give us a chance to at least slow the rate we are losing ground.

But don’t worry - with fans in the ground the 6 straight losses turn to 6 straight wins. We are actually a shite team that just rely on our fans to scare the crap out of the oppo...

Just a joke - but you get the idea.
    Last edited by Steveo; 12th April 2021 at 09:53 PM.

Well Steveo we will find out in a few months if we can climb higher than 13th !

To be fair it’s a big ask, they’re mostly Europe’s elite above us.

Well, wages did rise from £166m to £310m (these are approx figures) so FSG have "spent" there, the worry for FSG will be that the growth of the wage bill - 87%- outstrips the growth of the club's revenue - 79% - over the same accounting period - plus funds set aside for stadium development.

Plus player amortisation was up (paying off of debt over the length of a player's contract) but I can't recall by how much. I'll hold my hands up and say I'm not arsed to dig for the nitty gritty of it all having put it up before and it only leads to people viewing themselves (or "opponents" in debate) as being in one of two camps when the reality is probably that all of us are happy for FSG to spend "smart" but also want them to back the Manager a bit more as needed, provided we don't go into debt.

It would be interesting to know how much went out on contract-related bonuses. I'm sure (not that it's something we should ever dwell on for too long as it ruins the footie almost as much as VAR) it was quite a lot - but knowing how it was structured (talking about winning the League and Champion's League here) would be interesting - did players and staff get lump sums? Or percentages of their contract topped up? Would that have been small (like 2% or so?) or quite substantial (like 20% of wages?) because if it was the upper end of the hypothetical it would be quite the cost - 20% for example of £300m-ish would be an outlay of £60m.

I don't want my OCD leading me down the financial rabbit-hole again so I will say that I hope Klopp is suitably backed in the Summer without us doing anything crazily unsustainable. Wouldn't want to Spurs ourselves!

Stirring stuff.

All salaries are rising for all Premier league clubs.

Seems to me that those who would defend, FSG’s “spending” strategy are inadvertently confirming my suspicions that the current owners cannot afford to pay for a premier league club that is winning the big prizes - unless they stagnate on transfers.... thus rendering any success short term.

In reality FSG haven't 'spent' lots more money on wages, namely because not only are these wage increases down to bonuses paid to players as a result of our recent successes, but are also down to a few players (including some of these recently successful players) signing new contracts, which for successful teams/players are nearly always going to be bigger than ones that preceded them.

On top of that, this increase in wages would be paid for by our increased revenue, which has come about via increased TV money, bonuses from existing deals, and money now coming in from a lot of new/bigger sponsorship deals we've signed as a result of our recent success, including the Nike deal, which is one of the biggest ever sponsorship deals and one which could potentially be the biggest.

People may say there is a disparity between our wage bill and increase in revenue streams, but even if you take any one set of figures/what FSG tailor our accounts to show as gospel, it's as clear as day that we make much more money than we spend on wages, so whilst the wage increase may be bigger than our revenue increase percentage wise, the latter more than offsets the overall increase in our wage bill.

It's been mentioned numerous times by myself and a few others than over the last five years we are only the fourteenth highest spenders in the PL. That would be damning enough on its own, but a couple of days ago I read that over the last few transfer windows (I can't remember exactly how many) the likes of Man City, Man Utd, and even Spurs have spent around or above £200m, whilst during the same time frame we spent £80m.

If any Liverpool fan still can't or doesn't want to see FSG's raison detre and their modus operandi, they need to give their head a serious wobble, though if they've got this far without seeing the light, I doubt any kind of head wobbling will make any difference, no matter how vigorous it may be.
    Last edited by RedNoodle; 13th April 2021 at 12:04 AM.

Like Steveo says salaries are rising for all clubs in every league so its not an excuse and certainly not exclusive to Liverpool.
    Wages have to be the biggest issue now facing clubs and you do wonder where it will end, it cant keep climbing like this. It is simply jot sustainable alongside being purely obscene in every sense.