Page 389 of 659 FirstFirst ... 289339379382383384385386387388389390391392393394395396399439489 ... LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,890 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

If we don't finish in the too four I think it will have serious implication, potentially for the foreseeable future. If we don't make the top four, not only is it going to give FSG yet another excuse to spend little to f-all (relatively speaking), but also a few players who might have been interested in joining us will probably look to go elsewhere. I know some will say "well if they don't want to join us because we've missed out on the CL, we don't want them, and are probably better off without them", but I don't think we are in a position to assume or be ok with that.

I was already expecting a very disheartening summer transfer window for us, but if we finish outside the top four I think I'm going to ignore the comings and goings in the world of football as I can see a lack of quality additions to our team/squad combined with others making serious 'statement of intent' signings royally peeing me off.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    I think we will sign 3-4 players who will challenge the first team.

In my head they will be 25 or under as well to get youth in the squad.

There is talent out there always has been its finding the right fit for how we play or want to play thats is the tricky part but that is what we employ scouts for.
    What makes you so optimistic that we will go out and get quality players.

'Eezer Goode 'Eezer Goode He's Ebeneezer Goode

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    What makes you so optimistic that we will go out and get quality players.
    I dont know mate its just a gut feeling.

I mean a £40m player two years ago might be £25m this summer so as not much money is around fees will be lower for most players.

Of course if City sign Haaland or Kane then people are going to sulk about it.

Would not be surprised or disappointed if we sign Kalajdzic from Stuttgart.
    23 years old, 6' 7" but just 12 stone.
    Probably will cost £15-20 million.
    Seems to have recovered from a cruciate injury and has scored his fair quota of goals (1 every 2 games) this season in the Bundesliga.
    He has gone on record to say he wants to join us.
    Don't think he will always play but could be a great impact sub (or perhaps start then be subbed) dependant on how the game is going.
    He is not a Lewandowski or Haaland (certainly not yet anyway) but has time to develop.
    Would give us another dimension.
    Someone to get on the end of our crosses or long balls forward and cause a bit of panic in the penalty area.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    If we don't finish in the too four I think it will have serious implication, potentially for the foreseeable future. If we don't make the top four, not only is it going to give FSG yet another excuse to spend little to f-all (relatively speaking), but also a few players who might have been interested in joining us will probably look to go elsewhere.
    There's always players out there with quality wanting a move up in the World and we are pretty high up the proverbial Food Chain.

I can understand an apprehension about the "what if" but even when things aren't looking fantastic, there's always an opportunity to glance back and get perspective.

It's not so long ago that we didn't have Salah and were super-reliant on Mane. I think (when Mane was injured at the back end of a season) we have had matches (West Ham was one) without our star player/s in the past (Mane in this case) where we have had to throw weird options at it - this one match I am thinking of I think our front three was Origi, Sturridge and Lallana! Eeesh!

We're always capable of fine tuning. Tactical tweaks, someone developing at the right time, knocking it out of the park with a clever purchase - we'll find a way and we'll still be here.

Besides. 3 wins on the spin in the League and a decent performance (minus clinical finishing) against a side that's about to play a Champion's League semi-final. That tells me we have every chance against Leeds and we'll see, once again, where we are.

With the backdrop of how the season has panned out, Top Four would be a pretty good achievement. People worry about the Arsenal mentality of "Top Four is everything" and I hear those folk, but we (generally) don't qualify for Europe just to be knocked out really early - indeed, 2 of our 4 Champion's League Finals in the past 2 decades have come in the context of fairly average seasons in the League.

Let's just see. Summer is around the corner and we will know more.

On 5 Live they have just been talking about us and what we need to do in the summer. Darren Fletcher said that we need to sell either Salah or Mane in order to refresh the team/squad as we "are not awash with money", which is total sloblocks. He then goes on to say that sources he had spoken to have said that we/our benevolent overlords want to spend money on developing the stadium instead, which if 'true' means that FSG have already got their excuses ready for when we spend little-fa this summer.

I would expect us to sell this summer...Keita, Shaqiri, Ox, Minamino, Matip, harry Wilson, Origi and one of the front three. that should free up loads of money and reduce the wage bill. That's eight players.
    I would like to se us buy A centre back (Ben White or Konate), a midfield no 10 (Odegaard?) , maybe Neto , (is he injured now?). Plus if Salah or Mane goes , then a top striker (but who?)

How about FSG backing the manager , and let him build the squad with top quality players and not exspect him to pull rabbits out of hats with bargin basement players.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    On 5 Live they have just been talking about us and what we need to do in the summer. Darren Fletcher said that we need to sell either Salah or Mane in order to refresh the team/squad as we "are not awash with money", which is total sloblocks. He then goes on to say that sources he had spoken to have said that we/our benevolent overlords want to spend money on developing the stadium instead, which if 'true' means that FSG have already got their excuses ready for when we spend little-fa this summer.
    Lots of pundits from rival teams ALWAYS say we should sell our best players to refresh the squad.

I don’t think we will do that unless the offer is ridiculous this is not the Rodgers era, Klopp has only lost one major player and we got £140m for him.

Don’t worry what d*ckheads on the radio/tv say we will sign good players this summer you see.

Like one poster just said we can make £50-60m selling squad or players on loan.