Page 401 of 659 FirstFirst ... 301351391394395396397398399400401402403404405406407408411451501 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,010 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Am I right in saying accounts this year only account for 3 months with no fans ?

Next year will be this season figures which is pretty much no fans at all.

Mind we'll all be happy when PSG give us £100m for Origi ��
    I believe they do it on a calendar year basis rather than the 'Season' calendar fiscal year.

Because the club still has functions running even during the offseason that have to be taken into account and in thebooks, right?

So the most recent losses are reflective of the 2020 calendar year business operations rather than the 2020-2021 football Season (or at least the 2021 Calendar year portion of it).

Which means next year's books will look just as bad - unless fans come back in the fall, and even then, considering the lack of Champions' League football we're expecting....
    ...it's going to sting.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    To be fair I dont think anyone is making a profit so its to be expected.

Well maybe Man City might !
    Not the Prem league but Swansea posted a 2+million profit

Quote Originally Posted by fagin View Post
    Not the Prem league but Swansea posted a 2+million profit
    Good effort by them that.

Got an ex red as manager too in Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    So the most recent losses are reflective of the 2020 calendar year business operations rather than the 2020-2021 football Season (or at least the 2021 Calendar year portion of it).

Which means next year's books will look just as bad - unless fans come back in the fall, and even then, considering the lack of Champions' League football we're expecting....
    ...it's going to sting.
    Yep, next year's accounts will not be fun reading in the slightest.

In terms of expenses, we have to have a serious think about where we are getting value, especially in the wages department. Origi for example gave us one goal this season that I can recall, the last of a rout against Lincoln. Shaqiri has shown bits and pieces of imagination when playing, but isn't what you'd call irreplaceable. I'd fathom (even though it may not be best for his development) that Elliott could relatively easily replace the combined contribution of those two for the 21/22 season at a fraction of the upkeep cost, with some cash (even if not a huge amount) coming in for the sales - if we can find buyers.

Much as we like to play hardball, there will be one or two where it's best to take the money and run - you get the cash injection from a sale plus you remove some "dead" upkeep costs. We need wages to count.

Identifying fringe players we want to move on is easy. Where the difficulty will come is how ruthless we are prepared to be about sales of players that have contributed during their time here - players with 2 years left on their contracts - who do we negotiate with to keep, who do we aim to sell and how many can we "afford" to let their contracts run down?

We want to avoid the Emre Can/Wijnaldum situation as often as possible. Yes, wages off the bill is good, but wages off the bill and cash from a sale is better. Where reasonable offers are made, particularly in an altered market, we should take what we can get - to some degree.

Loans (wages paid by other club and a nominal fee for the pleasure) for those who prove difficult to shift. We'll probably have to make signings with clever deal structures - speak to clubs who are happy to receive smaller increments over a longer period to protect our future.

It's all very achievable and Doom-and-Gloom isn't upon us - but we do need to buy/sell smart if we want to get back to where we should be. Minimal mistakes in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Yep, next year's accounts will not be fun reading in the slightest.

In terms of expenses, we have to have a serious think about where we are getting value, especially in the wages department. Origi for example gave us one goal this season that I can recall, the last of a rout against Lincoln. Shaqiri has shown bits and pieces of imagination when playing, but isn't what you'd call irreplaceable. I'd fathom (even though it may not be best for his development) that Elliott could relatively easily replace the combined contribution of those two for the 21/22 season at a fraction of the upkeep cost, with some cash (even if not a huge amount) coming in for the sales - if we can find buyers.

Much as we like to play hardball, there will be one or two where it's best to take the money and run - you get the cash injection from a sale plus you remove some "dead" upkeep costs. We need wages to count.

Identifying fringe players we want to move on is easy. Where the difficulty will come is how ruthless we are prepared to be about sales of players that have contributed during their time here - players with 2 years left on their contracts - who do we negotiate with to keep, who do we aim to sell and how many can we "afford" to let their contracts run down?

We want to avoid the Emre Can/Wijnaldum situation as often as possible. Yes, wages off the bill is good, but wages off the bill and cash from a sale is better. Where reasonable offers are made, particularly in an altered market, we should take what we can get - to some degree.

Loans (wages paid by other club and a nominal fee for the pleasure) for those who prove difficult to shift. We'll probably have to make signings with clever deal structures - speak to clubs who are happy to receive smaller increments over a longer period to protect our future.

It's all very achievable and Doom-and-Gloom isn't upon us - but we do need to buy/sell smart if we want to get back to where we should be. Minimal mistakes in the market.
    We should have sold Origi last summer transfer window.
    That much is now clear.
    I can't remember if there was interest in him in the market ( i seem to recall some interest from Germany), but at the very least we could have sent him out on loan to get the wages off our books, and on his end to possibly give him playing time ahead of the postponed Euro Championships where he could put himself back in the frame for Belgium.

It was never going to get better for him than his champion's League exploits and then winning the league the following year.
    He gets to leave a winner and a legend in the fans' eyes and we get to start our rebuild by bringing in more potent cover for the front three ( I suppose kind of did with Jota, but then we saw what happened when he got injured).

And yes, I agree we should definitely get Elliot back here next season.
    I hate to do this sort of thing, but I really do see a young Sterling in the making in some of the way he plays and if only we could nurture him properly and get him really entrenched into the team, we could actually get a young promising product from within our own system who even decides to stay rather than go ply his trade elsewhere.
    Together with the likes of Jones (and possibly Koumetiio down the line after some more seasoning) we could get the foundations for a nice spine for the team in the future- IF we handle them right.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Elliott is such an exciting talent Crimson, really is. In an ideal World I'd see us invest in someone like Sancho and begin the process of making us a hub for young English talent (for a multitude of reasons) but it's easier said than done.

As for sales, we certainly have plenty we can shift - for me it's all about value, which shouldn't be confused with being cheap. Alisson and Van Dijk for example were excellent value despite costing about £140 between them as the true total value is probably closer to £200m or so. Equally someone like Keita, who clearly has talent, has proven to be poor value due to inconsistency, injury rate and so on.

We have several players who aren't contributing very much. Not saying this to be cold (some are young and they're human beings with dreams) but if we look at some of the following names, how much on-pitch brilliance do we see ourselves getting from them over the next couple of years? -

Shaqiri
    Ox
    Keita
    Rhys Williams
    Neco Williams
    Origi
    Wilson
    Grujic
    Ojo
    Woodburn

I genuinely think (life isn't Football Manager, sales aren't always simple) that you could shift the above, "replace" them with, say, the signing of Bissouma and the promotion of Elliott - and probably see little to no loss in on-pitch performances, leaving us with some wage flexibility, a new face in the midfield for the future and a new option in attack to develop further.

That's before weighing up tougher calls (sell one of the front three? consider moving Matip on if there is a taker?) with a view to looking at beginning the next "cycle". This is even before deciding what we're doing with the likes of Minamino.

We'd have to make signings of course. That's a given. But there are plenty of opportunities for intelligent acquisitions. Playing a "normal" season with a pre-season should also reduce the injuries and fans will be back. We just need to recruit intelligently and hopefully get fans back in the ground. Also rest some players this Summer!

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Suarez couldn't wait to leave, I wouldn't want him back.
    Got to admit though when he was here he didn't let us down.....if he wanted to come back and was willing to fight for his place I'd rather bring him off the bench than some of our other options....just make him wear a muzzle...

I dont want him back. his antics we can do without.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

There's a 20% VAT tax on transfer fees too. Which is interesting as this takes no account of net spend. It's total spend that counts.

I remember seeing Alan Sugar interviewed when he was at Spurs and he said 'I've looked at the maths, there's no money to be made in football'.

What's been happening lately is inflation gives investors another reason to invest - to prepare the investment for future changing of hands. That is the model that has developed across all industries in recent decades, the hedge fund model. It has led to the absurdity, for example, of Pizza Express carrying one billion pounds of debt. they have been asset stripped and are as good as bankrupt. A zombie company.

The bad news for FSG and for all owners really is the the era of inflation may be ending now. The quantitive easing is still elevating share prices but the market is dying. Entertainment and Sports have peaked and Covid is a sucker punch in that process.

If LFC keep making losses and if the value of the club fall steadily, there will be no reason to hold onto the asset and it will become liability. There is no milking of the cow, as far as I can see.