Page 434 of 659 FirstFirst ... 334384424427428429430431432433434435436437438439440441444484534 ... LastLast
Results 4,331 to 4,340 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Think we need an attacking midfielder with more or different skill sets to Ali, better passing, better through balls, better crossing, Ali's main skills come playing behind a forward and making runs into the box, our midfield shake up needs to see more players with better ability with the ball come in, that isn't Ali
    What did you think of Henderson when he arrived?

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    I thought he needed to get his head on swivel and constantly scan the pitch to know where all the players were, and he developed that in his first season with us, that's why he's brilliant in our press and counter pressing game, because he knows where other players are all the time, why? Because he's constantly scanning to know where they are and where he needs to be and when he can go a make a challenge if another of our pressers has missed one and when it's best to stay with the player closest to him and buy time for other players to recover their positions, and when he can move off that player to the player who evaded a tackle because one of our other players is now placed to move onto his player, and he's brilliant at it, it's a skill Fab desperately needs to learn, all of that are where Fab's major weaknesses lie
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I thought he needed to get his head on swivel and constantly scan the pitch to know where all the players were, and he developed that in his first season with us, that's why he's brilliant in our press and counter pressing game, because he knows where other players are all the time, why? Because he's constantly scanning to know where they are and where he needs to be and when he can go a make a challenge if another of our pressers has missed one and when it's best to stay with the player closest to him and buy time for other players to recover their positions, and when he can move off that player to the player who evaded a tackle because one of our other players is now placed to move onto his player, and he's brilliant at it, it's a skill Fab desperately needs to learn, all of that are where Fab's major weaknesses lie
    And Delle Ali can't get his head on swivel etc as you put it?

Thought he was a bit shit tbh
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Anyone actually think FSG will learn from their mistakes and start investing heavily in a team with Klopp at the helm?

I don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Thought he was a bit shit tbh
    That is a more direct answer for an 'at the time' scenario.
    19x's reply was basically
    'if this new player turns out good I will like him'
    We all surely feel like that.

And Delle Ali can't get his head on swivel etc as you put it?
    But he's a different type of player, he's an attacking midfielder, and we need a lot more from an attacking midfielder, we need through balls and a far better range of passing, we need crossing, we need dribbling, we need goals, we need a player who doesn't stand admiring any pass or cross they made, but has perpetual movement and is immediately moving to support the ball he played himself, we relentless work ethic - We need Rodrigo De Paul

Ali simply doesn't have any of the qualities the best attacking mids have, getting his head on swivel would be a start, but that's not suddenly going to give him all the attributes De Paul and other top class attacking midfielders have

That is a more direct answer for an 'at the time' scenario.
    19x's reply was basically
    'if this new player turns out good I will like him'
    We all surely feel like that.
    No it wasn't, it was clear Henderson had numerous highly beneficial attributes, but without scanning and developing greater awareness he wouldn't be able to bring them into play in games

He was a central box to box midfielder, we used him mostly on the right until Jurgen arrived

But he's a different type of player, he's an attacking midfielder, and we need a lot more from an attacking midfielder, we need through balls and a far better range of passing, we need crossing, we need dribbling, we need goals, we need a player who doesn't stand admiring any pass or cross they made, but has perpetual movement and is immediately moving to support the ball he played himself, we relentless work ethic - We need Rodrigo De Paul

Ali simply doesn't have any of the qualities the best attacking mids have, getting his head on swivel would be a start, but that's not suddenly going to give him all the attributes De Paul and other top class attacking midfielders have
    I think he had all these abilities-at his peak-but lost his way. Fabinho is our defending midfielder, Thiago our quarter-back/ player maker - we bought Keita as an attacking, goal scoring midfielder - that's Alli's skill set. Henderson covers lots of positions but he's not good enough as an attacking midfielder. We need goals - I think Alli - at his best - can do it. He's also familiar with the premier league and opponents (and I believe a boyhood LFC fan - could be wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyLFC View Post
    I think he had all these abilities-at his peak-but lost his way. Fabinho is our defending midfielder, Thiago our quarter-back/ player maker - we bought Keita as an attacking, goal scoring midfielder - that's Alli's skill set. Henderson covers lots of positions but he's not good enough as an attacking midfielder. We need goals - I think Alli - at his best - can do it. He's also familiar with the premier league and opponents (and I believe a boyhood LFC fan - could be wrong)
    It's not Ali's skill set though, his skill set is incredibly limited and always was, he can't dribble, he can't play through balls, he can't play more expansive balls, he can't cross, at his best Ali's skill set comprised of playing just behind Kane before Kane's injuries when he played more as an out and out No9 and when Kane had got the ball and spread play wide and was heading into the box, Ali would arrive in the box later than Kane in a position that complimented Kane's and to arrive onto crosses