Page 469 of 659 FirstFirst ... 369419459462463464465466467468469470471472473474475476479519569 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Coutinho dosh... I have alluded to this before - a few stars aligned for us.

1. Barca with a crazy bid.
    2. Chelsea hamstrung by transfer ban and owner in exile.
    3. City under FFP investigation.

We haven't seen spending in that bracket before or since. That is the biggest problem.

Come on uncle John - let's see the dough bro..

That is the biggest problem.
    What has Chelsea's later transfer ban got to do with that timeline.
    As I recall they were buying and selling players throughout the 17/18 and 18/19 season.
    Lampard managed them through the transfer ban, so I'm not sure how you connect the future transfer ban onto that timeline.

City under GDP investigations similar. What relevance does that have to this timeline ?

Barca had a crazy bid all right having been flabbergasted that neymar left and PSG activated his buyout clause.

Come on - the Coutinho dough came in January 2018. Payed for Virgil, Allison and Fab primarily.

Look at the profit in summer 2019.
    These fools will never live it down. Best manager in the world. The chance to bolster the team that took 97 points and missed the title by a single 1..

Criminal negligence
    Those players feed and wages all exceed the wages and fees involved for that 3.

How can you seriously state more wages and fees were paid for by lesser wages and fee.

Criminal negligence seems a hit harsh for a team that won a league title.
    I'd have liked us to add in summer 2019 too.

And Naby Keita was signed in summer 2017 too - batshit crazily to start the 2018/19 season.
    Clearly at the behest of Jurgen, who was raving about Naby Keita. Who himself was in high stock at that time.
    The owners backed Klopp on that signing, seems harsh to be dragging them for backing Klopp and ensuring he got his guy.

We were in for Virgil long before psg buying neymar triggered their interests in Phil.

If we just take the 2 big prizes on his watch that will be negligence.
    What the hell
    You're handing out titles to united and posting about Klopp not winning any more titles, behave ffs

We're up against a state run club, who draws on the wealth of an oil rich nation. Theres a reason they have dominated the league in this last decade.
    Not even Roman, a considerably richer man than JwH has managed to keep Chelsea's dominance to the fore.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    What has Chelsea's later transfer ban got to do with that timeline.
    As I recall they were buying and selling players throughout the 17/18 and 18/19 season.
    Lampard managed them through the transfer ban, so I'm not sure how you connect the future transfer ban onto that timeline.

City under GDP investigations similar. What relevance does that have to this timeline ?

Barca had a crazy bid all right having been flabbergasted that neymar left and PSG activated his buyout clause.
    Chelsea knew of their impending punishment well before the ban kicked in - like City they were just waiting - and Roman was persona non grata. Chelsea were for once very ponderous in the market with good reason. They couldn’t capture Alisson - would have likely started a bidding war in normal times - then spunked it all on panic but Kepa. Alisson says he snubbed Chelsea but Roman would normally have made it worth his while.

It was all pretty good timing is all I am really saying.

Yes Barca’s bid for Couts was inflated cause of Neymar. The transfer that ruined the market.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    The fans at old Trafford are just like anywhere else. Once they have success they don't expect it to stop. I never thought we would go 30 years in between titles. Fans are greedy and don't like it when another team comes along and bags the trophies that they took for granted.
    I largely agree, but I like to think (perhaps naively in the social media era?) that some fanbases are more patient than others and have the capacity to appreciate a "project" unless the House of Cards came tumbling down.

We're in a "cycle" at present and as we approach the end of it, there's the potential for a slight dip for a couple of seasons as the next set come through. I think most Liverpool fans (when that happens, roughly 23/24-25/26 could be projected as a transitional phase) will be able to cope with it, provided nothing silly happens, such as missing Top Four in back-to-back seasons etc.

A side like Man United could - COULD - totally scrap their way of doing things and start giving out lower-paid, incentive-based contracts to younger, hungrier players and the spare capital they would have (on the back of years of the Sky/marketing/big stadium stuff) could afford them to buy the occasional "piece of the jigsaw" that takes you up a level (Van Dijk/Alisson) or semi-guarantees short-term success (Van Persie) but for years they've had these really bloated situations instead - such as when they had Rooney, Falcao, Mata, Di Maria, Van Persie, Herrera all on your books at the same time - just think what they could have done (transfer fees, wages) getting a whole load of talented youth in and so on.

Thankfully they're more likely to try and buy Ronaldo again than do anything sensible.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    We were in for Virgil long before psg buying neymar triggered their interests in Phil.

If we just take the 2 big prizes on his watch that will be negligence.
    What the hell
    You're handing out titles to united and posting about Klopp not winning any more titles, behave ffs

We're up against a state run club, who draws on the wealth of an oil rich nation. Theres a reason they have dominated the league in this last decade.
    Not even Roman, a considerably richer man than JwH has managed to keep Chelsea's dominance to the fore.
    Coutinho was touted to Barca long before any mention of a Virgil to us.

And Roman has been out of the game for nigh on 3 years until last summer dude. Last summer back with a bang - and they are Champions of Europe

.Please read about his status.
    Last edited by Steveo; 2nd June 2021 at 10:19 PM.

Stop cutting up posts. It’s barbaric.

Don’t worry about a Barcelona. They will be just fine.

Please leave that to those who think they know what is going on. Why would we even care. Debt is not a problem right now - in fact it is a pretty good time to be in debt.

There is a reason some clubs are revered the world over.

I am getting on a bit now Taksin - maybe I am losing my marbles but I honestly think we can do so much better than these owners. They are a million miles better than H&G but they aren’t top dollar are they? That’s before we look at the shite they have tried on. Ticket prices - trademarking the name of the friggin city FFS. Big Pictures - and the ESL...!

My modus operandi is to put as much pressure on them as is possible. Make sure they make good on their promise to redevelop the ground - not just a stand - and make sure they give whoever is manager everything they need to be successful.

Totally inept - I mean it.

Inept in summer 2019 - inept during last summer - letting Lovren go without replacement. Half a player in Matip amd Gomez ( always a risk ) and Virgil... that’s it for senior CB’s 2.5! For a title defence!!! ?? WTF Inept

Then again this January - Left it till February to bring in nothing.. Nothing an invisible man ( does he even exist ) and a kid from the bottom of the Bundesliga...

diabolique. Barring that miracle 26 points out of 30 with No senior CB’s we aren’t close to top 4!!

Shocking
    Barca have had a lucrative nike deal for some time.
    They have also looked for a ESL so as to continue to fund their footballing ventures.

When LFC signed with nike you were aghast and further condemned LFC for their greed.

It seems you hold two entirely separate outlooks on the same matter.
    You want the club to run on social justice principles and yet spend vast fortunes on players and wages so as to stop all others from sharing in the dividend of titles.

I hold a rock solid view.

You either invest your own sodding cash into the club or you fuck off.

You don’t run it like a fucking business because a football club is much much more than that.

That is for Yanks who don’t know the game and only want to profit.

Chelsea knew of their impending punishment well before the ban kicked in - like City they were just waiting - and Roman was persona non grata. Chelsea were for once very ponderous in the market with good reason. They couldn’t capture Alisson - would have likely started a bidding war in normal times - then spunked it all on panic but Kepa. Alisson says he snubbed Chelsea but Roman would normally have made it worth his while.

It was all pretty good timing is all I am really saying.

Yes Barca’s bid for Couts was inflated cause of Neymar. The transfer that ruined the market.
    Dont you believe that players really want to work with Jurgen.
    Seems odd to think that Roman is so great that he can override the desire to play for klopp.

Also that summer the spent 3 big transfers on Kepa, Pulsiic and Jorginho.
    The claims you make dont really fit with the historical record as I see it.