Page 477 of 659 FirstFirst ... 377427467470471472473474475476477478479480481482483484487527577 ... LastLast
Results 4,761 to 4,770 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Why would it be a crime to actually have some owners that spend on one of the biggest most sucessful clubs in the world?
    It would't be a crime

We will always come a very distant second to the red sox. That's what happens when you have owners from another country, and who already owned a team from a different sport. Ideally I would like a local rich businessman who loves and supports the club. There must be many about but no one's coming forward. That guy from redrow homes tried to buy us, but when that failed, he put his money into Wolves instead, when that happened I questioned his love for the club. If I was lucky enough to have that much money, I wouldn't invest in any other club.

Theres big rumours we are about to sign Patson Daka.. don't know much about him. But says hes a number 9 from things i have read.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Theres big rumours we are about to sign Patson Daka.. don't know much about him. But says hes a number 9 from things i have read.
    Probably false.. or just another load of Red Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    If only you were exposing fallacies, Steveo, we might have something interesting to read. Instead all we have is your firmly held opinions.
    You think anyone else is reading this boring guff?

I agree with this and have made the point often. Although it's interesting that you say 'one of the best' and not 'the best'. In doing so, you admit that there are other ingredients involved in success. Even though, when you don't want to admit defeat in an argument, you avoid stating what these other ingredients are beyond 'money'.
    Erm - so you do agree but can't bring yourself to be nice about it and have to invent a point of difference. Strange fella..

No, I don't think this is right. The owners have to manage a budget that they are instrumental in accruing by their clever running of the club. The budget goes on other important things like medical staff, community development, the stadium, television rights, shirt sales in the Far East, computer modelling of potential signings, a throw-in coach, youth development policy and training facilities etc.
    In the case of Man City, their clever running of the club includes fraudulent sponsorship deals. In the case of real Madrid, it includes bailouts from the King of Spain. In the case of Barcelona it includes going one billion pounds into debt. If you are happy with getting the players in by all means, I think you are being short-sighted (see Barcelona's outlook) and also unethical.

Erm - this is called running a football club and again you have to bring worst case scenario to justify what is essentially maintenance..

Liverpool's era of success was shared by four managers. What stood behind them was stable ownership. Now, most historians that I have come across believe that the Moores family failed to keep up with the times. When the new ear arrived, we fell behind at the level of ownership, not choice of managers. Benitez is an example of 'one of the best' managers unable to do his job because the ownership is more important than the manager in terms of success. That is my case. You have not exposed it as a fallacy.
    Erm think I have...because IF Rafa Benitez could win a European Cup - (reaching 2 finals and beating far better than Spurs ) , then a FA Cup under the out-dated Moores ownership and then come within a whisker of a title in ( 2009 - far more competitive league and one of United's strongest ever sides ) - with Liverpool FC ranked the top dogs in all of Europe... a team that destroyed Real Madrid 5 nil on aggregate... with the worst blood sucking owners in our history - then where does it all leave your case... Hmm

Ferguson arrived when Man U were modernising their operations and they were both lucky to have each other. They eclipsed us because they had a better club model. My belief is that club has lost its way since Ferguson left. Perhaps the rot started earlier and perhaps they will get their act together soon, who knows. They have tried appointing the best managers they could but it didn't work. There are a number of reasons for that and 'underinvestment' probably isn't one of them.

So, again, must do better.
    United are suffering from the fallout of a huge dominant legacy - one that had no natural continuity after megalomaniac Ferguson left. He still still looms over them like a bad smell.. Long may that continue I say.

And if you think trying to trademark the name Liverpool (the name the club is widely known by) shows the owners to be clowns, your lack of basic sympathy for what they were trying to do again reveals your irrationality when it comes to thinking about our owners.
    Aw poor FSG - unable to trademark the name of a City which has 2 clubs one of them Everton whose original home was Anfield... 10/10 for knowledge and decency.. Or should I say - hell yea - way to go..

Scored 40 goals last season. Surprising he isn't as hot as Haaland with a record like that.
    Allegedly LFC,West Ham interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

The "right owners" cannot make a team a dominant one without having one of the best managers in place.

Erm - so you do agree but can't bring yourself to be nice about it and have to invent a point of difference. Strange fella..
    This is just disingenuous, Steveo. Either you know it or you are unable to be logical. Given that I was pointing this out to you by making the very point, you must have misunderstood. Let's spell out the logic..

You said the right owners are not enough. They need a decent manager
    I agree and that is what I have said many times. I think Klopp is a genius
    However, this says nothing about what role the owners play
    My claim is that they have the more important role to create success
    So I believe you need good owners and a decent manager for success
    Therefore your lofty dismissal, which you later claimed some victory from, was missing the point of argument.

What you are now arguing is that this era is essentially the same as the Benitez era. We have terribly delinquent owners and the success we have had is due to the manager, Klopp, who is winning despite that fact.

Perhaps you'd like to ask this question to the forum to see if anyone agrees with you?

Were the teams of 2018, 2019 and 2020 of the same order of wild inadequacy as the team of 2005, rescued by a great manager against all the odds?

Or were they actually part of a brief pinnacle of dominance and excellence in the history of British football, extremely well put together and highly functioning?

Which one is it, Steveo?

Would be a very good signing, would give us the players to play 2 different formations also as we seem to be looking at a few wingers, although, as we saw with England last night, I don't think 4231 works for us as we lose too much from our full backs, when you have attacking full backs as good as ours, it is inevitable that the left and right of the 3 in a 4231 play in the space that the best attacking full backs use and them being deeper than the inside forwards means there aren't the same runs in behind which opens up the space for the attacking full backs and gives them more time to pick their pass or cross and the other players more time to make their runs

Daka looks a very good forward though, scores all kinds of goals, the majority in the box, no real screamers from outside or just outside like Malen, but headers, left foot, right foot, very good at getting across defenders to get to balls in ahead of them, another Afcon player mind, although Zambia haven't qualified for the finals
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

If we bring in a top midfielder and a top forward, we are looking at an outlay of around £100 million this summer. That seems like a lot of money seeing as the income streams are plummeting due to Covid and the future sanity of world governments is not certain at all. Being in debt now is a very bad idea as we may be entering a deflationary period where the value of all assets drops. Add to this a real possibility of a big spike in interest rates and I would not want to be in Barcelona's position. It is potentially catastrophic.

I think if they spend £100 million it will be seen as a heavy investment that is dependant on much lower spending over the next 24 months.

If we bring in a top midfielder and a top forward, we are looking at an outlay of around £100 million this summer. That seems like a lot of money seeing as the income streams are plummeting due to Covid and the future sanity of world governments is not certain at all. Being in debt now is a very bad idea as we may be entering a deflationary period where the value of all assets drops. Add to this a real possibility of a big spike in interest rates and I would not want to be in Barcelona's position. It is potentially catastrophic.

I think if they spend £100 million it will be seen as a heavy investment that is dependant on much lower spending over the next 24 months.
    The club could claw back about half of that amount if they were lucky enough to sell all the sick notes we have at the club.