Page 485 of 659 FirstFirst ... 385435475478479480481482483484485486487488489490491492495535585 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,850 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

I'm expecting at least 2 more signings confirmed by Sunday when the international transfer window officially opens, chop chop Mr Edwards, De Paul and Daka as the next 2 to be announced and confirmed on Sunday or Monday at the very latest, then you can focus on getting the midfield controller who can also operate at DM in to replace Gini
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Aye - Jones not the answer yet.

Still lamenting the loss of our Gini but De Paul and Daka would be sweet as a nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    And no answers on what the catalyst was that finally got us to a first major title since 2005... I see. Never mind
    There were number of catalysts, including bringing Klopp in. But I believe the major catalyst has been the purchase of the club by people who know how to organise success.

We’ve had some ups and downs - Brendan, we sold Suarez for a large fee remember.

But no, the whole history of our success is not down to selling Coutinho in my opinion. Clearly we did sell him, got a large fee. Invested it well. Get over it, Steveo. It’s just a part of the story.

Yawn...

The reasoning that Klopp got the better of Rafa over 2 legs - when it wasn’t over 2 legs. Your opening gambit. Both games were group stage... 1 win each and 3 points apiece.

Go back and see what we were discussing dude. I was using Rafa ( cited as unable to do his job by a certain someone ) as an example of how a top manager can still do well - despite appalling owners. In fact he did almost as well as Klopp has done.

I am not putting Klopp down at all but we won nothing until we got the cash to splash from Coutinho’s sale.

This isn’t opinion but fact. And you won’t find a bigger fan of Jurgen Klopp than me - they don’t exist! It was me defending him against multiple daft suggestions during our terrible run this winter.

Can see why some people just don’t bother posting. Such a monumental waste of time.
    This is what I posted

"In their only head to head of note klopp won over the 2 legs albeit in the cl groupstages, Rafa Napoli and Klopp Dortmund.

It would be a cracking game to watch.

Better keeper, best cb, better fullbacks for me. Midfield Rafa, attack klopp, though the systems would be different."

First bit, their head to head record.
    I excluded Newcastle v LFC as they are obviously not close enough in terms of assets at their disposal.
    Napoli and Dortmund had similar points per game in their respective leagues, both won a domestic too iirc.
    By stating it was in the cl group stages I think it goes without saying it wasnt a cl ko stages fixture.
    But that over those 2 fixtures Klopp would progress from those 2 results. The geoupstages has a head to head element in so much as you play home and away.
    It's the best and only case worth mentioning in their head to head record to date.

We were discussing their best LFC sides playing each other, an impossibility.
    Over the 2 times they met with rough parity of teams, klopp narrowly beat Rafa.

With respect to their LFC sides I then gave my assessment of the players.
    Klopp has a better keeper, the best cb (pairing too), better full backs, Rafas midfield and klopps attack for me.

I do think, if we could, it would be a cracking game to watch.
    It's an interesting discussion imo for a football forum, perhaps worthy of a poll.

As per you return to this coutinho debate, my points to you were simply that you cant use coutinho's departed wages and transfer fee to cover wages and fees above that value.
    Just little pointers regarding the slant of taking away from klopp and giving to Rafael without doing it both ways.
    So take away the income from Rafael which funded spending. Give him his nearly won list and give it to klopp too. Give them their dues for what they both actually won.

There was very little in my post you replied to regarding anything other than Rafa 08 v Klopp 19 discussion, hypothetical musings.

For me it's Klopp 2018/19 side which wins it. A team with an incredible defensive record, scoring goals galore, finishing second in the league on an incredible points tally (worthy of a league title) whilst winning a champions league title.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Berks at the Echo prattling on about Curtis Jones being the answer to the Keita nd Oxlade dliemma, never read such horseshit, he is NOWHERE NEAR ready, he takes too long on the ball, doesn't complete successful dribbles as they suggest, does not move the ball forward quickly as they suggest, he's like our own Ray Fucking Wilkins, takes too long on the ball, goes backwards or sideways most of the time when there's a forward ball, often that were he brave enough to play it, could lead directly to an assist on, he's useless in the press too and doesn't have the pace, engine of drive and physicality yet we need in a midfielder, he is desperately lacking in any form of dynamism

Bench player and cup game player against lesser opposition is the best I can say about him, and not a bench player to bring on and change anything, a bench player to give another player 20 minutes rest when we're already at least 2 goals ahead in games
    Think that's a bit harsh, whilst not having Ginis arse strength they both have the habit of taking too long on the ball.
    Curtis seems to take more of the ball though and pass more.

For me hes a lad who has the ability to do a lot better, held back somewhat by himself.
    Needs to be more aggressive and quicken up his play.

Overall whilst he frustrated me over this last season at times, that's mainly down to the ability he has but isnt getting out.
    Think he did very well in a topsy turvy season. Quite proud of the lad.
    Imo needs to start taking the bull by the horns and pushing himself more.

@Taksin

There you go again - arguing against your own postulation.

I asked what the catalyst was. I did not say it was all down to selling Coutinho - that is what you seem to be arguing against.

The catalyst was allowing a manager as good as Klopp to use the funds to get his primary targets.

It hasn’t happened since. It needs to happen again and it shouldn’t have to be sell to buy.

Either way - for everyone’s sake - let’s drop it. It’s a bore.

The catalyst was allowing a manager as good as Klopp to use the funds to get his primary targets.
    Ah, so now it was the allowing that was the catalyst. A slight change in argument.

And the bit about him getting his primary targets.

On two counts you are giving a nod to FSG.
    Firstly that they have undertaken the action of ‘allowing’, which is therefore a choice. One you seem to think follows ‘disallowing’, which is the crime they are guilty of in your imagination.

Secondly you assume the targets were Klopp’s and not FSGs. We know for example that Salah was probably the third choice for that role when he came in. Remember, Steveo, that was back in the days when FSG didn’t allow the manager to buy decent players. Before the catalyst happened.

But we also know FSG have instantiated a highly developed scouting system that requires players to fulfil a well worked out set of conditions in order to become targets. Much has been written about this and how it lead to appointing Klopp as well.

So yes, FSG were at the heart of your catalyst. And I don’t see much has changed since. Just because you want more signings doesn’t mean Klopp isn’t happy with the way things are being organised.

It obviously has happened since - Jota, Thiago, Konate. They are all first choice players that the manger is pleased with. For some reason we have to go through the farce of pretending the only time we signed decent players was the Van Dijk / Alisson moment, in order to pretend this squad is not well put together.

And Andy Robertson has been an incredible signing by the way. £7 million wasn’t it? I suppose you think that was all Klopp’s idea.

But the fact that he cost so little means he isn’t a real quality signing. Not the type you like anyway. It’s all about the big numbers with you.

Dear Taksin. I get it - you just have to be seen to be right even when you are wrong.

You and your fellow FSG cheerleaders can believe whatever you want. You can hold onto the flawed belief that owners trump managers in terms of success, and that Coutinho’s sale was not absolutely key to Klopp getting Virgil and Alisson, which absolutely did make the difference in our 2 major titles - despite almost every man and his dog knowing it was.

My faith is in Klopp - it’s rock solid - my faith in the owners is anything but. Leave it be.
    Last edited by Steveo; 4th June 2021 at 06:15 PM.

Ok, Steveo, I’ll continue with my flawed beliefs and you can continue with your correct beliefs.

With all due respect Chaps how about starting another thread for this debate?