Page 629 of 659 FirstFirst ... 129529579619622623624625626627628629630631632633634635636639 ... LastLast
Results 6,281 to 6,290 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I sense cynicism

Would you have us not pursue youth players before they have developed further?

What do you make of our development of lads like Harvey Elliott or Kaide Gordon?

Are you pleased that through the development of younger players we have lads like Gomez and Trent in our starting XI or should we have been trying to buy the likes of Maguire and Wan-Bissaka for big fees?
    Elliot came through Fulhams academy . Gomez didnt come through our academy either.. They turned out ok.Im all for signing potential. But thats down the line.. In a few years. I'd rather deal with today. because in a few years we may be nowhere near the top
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by fagin View Post
    Grealish only cost City 40 mill on the books 60mill in transfers as yet ( LFC Echo for one)
    who have the sold in transfers??
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Elliot came through Fulhams academy . Gomez didnt come through our academy either.. They turned out ok.Im all for signing potential. But thats down the line.. In a few years. I'd rather deal with today. because in a few years we may be nowhere near the top
    I know (on Elliott and Gomez) but we have still developed them further.

I get what you're saying about the present and I do think we'll occasionally do it to supplement our main approach. Bringing in first-choice stars is very, very expensive though, so to my mind, it makes sense to bring in those that can grow into roles for us as the stars of others wane, or are sold.

For example, in terms of players that can help now or in the not-too-distant future, our age profile doesn't look too bad. Four years from now some lads on our books will look like this, age-wise -

Alisson - 32
    Trent - 26
    Gomez - 28
    Konate - 26
    Jones - 24
    Elliott - 22
    Jota - 28
    Gordon - 20

Elliott and Gordon have development to do and there's no guarantee they'll "make it" as it were.

But Alisson is unlikely to go anywhere and is one of the world's best in his position. Trent one of the best in his position too. Gomez is an excellent centre-back, while Konate has absolutely enormous potential - with Klopp to coach him and Van Dijk/Gomez/Matip to learn from for now.

Jones is (arguably, I'll concede) the 4th-choice midfielder, ie first in line after Henderson/Thiago/Fabinho should we rotate and he too is surrounded by excellent role models in midfield. Jota is absolutely hammering on the door of the first XI should Firmino get swapped out for a game and Jota score.

So we're talking about 6 players that are very likely to be able to contribute plenty going forward. A young player only needs to look at us as a club that gives youth a fair shot (Gomez, Trent, Jones) and we'll become even more appealing to those young starlets out there who want actual game time, where they'll struggle to get it elsewhere.

Provided there is the occasional "star" to come in to supplement things and we can further our own Academy's capacity to produce players (some to reach out first XI, others to generate funds for us as home-grown players are more expensive) I just don't find a lot to stress about in terms of how we do business - but that's a personal view, I'll concede.

To contrast that (us investing in our future) you have the likes of Barca who have over-reached in terms of investing in the present.

- Messi is 34.
    - Griezmann is contracted until he's 34 as well I believe.
    - Busquets and Aguero are contractually tied down until they're 35.
    - Alba is tied down until he's 36.
    - Pique is tied down until he's 37.

All of these lads are on £200k or more per week. A few of them are on much more than that £200k threshold. Besides the financial waste, they block the routes of younger players to the first team. We on the other hand seem to be managing the balance relatively well and are willing to give lads a chance, rather than seeking to buy "peak-age" players.

To bring Man United into the equation again, the financial disparity between Gomez+Trent versus Maguire+Wan-Bissaka is enormous, yet we would almost all unanimously agree on which combo we'd want at our club. I'm all for our way of doing things.

Mohamed Bouhafsi@mohamedbouhafsi·18m
    Lionel #Messi has chosen to join #PSG - 2 years + 1 on option for the contract - the club is looking to wrap up the signing over the weekend, and is set to meet with Jorge Messi in the next few hours.

Pretty easy to chose the only option on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Pretty easy to chose the only option on the menu.
    January will be interesting should Mbappe have not signed a contract. Whichever club manages to get him is in a great position.

Same for Haaland - he'll be months away from his release clause being £64m - and he is as safe a bet as there is in World Football right now when it comes to attacking options.

Another club not spending because of the affects of the pandemic

Tottenham have signed Argentina defender Cristian Romero from Atalanta for about £47m.

The fee is the second highest Spurs have paid for a player behind the £53.8m for Tanguy Ndombele in 2019.

Romero, 23, who won the Copa America with Argentina earlier in the summer, was voted the best defender in Serie A last season.

He becomes Spurs' third summer signing and takes their outlay leading up to the new season to nearly £70m.

Winger Bryan Gil joined from Sevilla in July while Pierluigi Gollini signed on loan, also from Atalanta.

Spurs doing a Villa and spending their money before they sell Sir Arry.

But Kane only cost £20m as they sold Goater and Horlock 15 years ago to boost the coffers ����

Aguero wants to leave Barcelona