Page 656 of 659 FirstFirst ... 156556606646649650651652653654655656657658659 LastLast
Results 6,551 to 6,560 of 6589

Thread: Summer transfer thread

Ben Davies getting loaned to Sheffield United.

Quote Originally Posted by 3underpar View Post
    Buy to let.

Quote Originally Posted by 3underpar View Post
    Fingers crossed that one works out for us.

Tyrone Mings impressed a lot with Villa when he was on loan to them (think it was from Bournemouth) and they (Villa) ended up buying Mings for a decent wedge.

If Davies has a good spell with Sheffield United (fingers crossed!) then he might increase his value and we get a bit of income from someone we're not using to put toward a purchase of a more pressing need next Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Fingers crossed that one works out for us.

Tyrone Mings impressed a lot with Villa when he was on loan to them (think it was from Bournemouth) and they (Villa) ended up buying Mings for a decent wedge.

If Davies has a good spell with Sheffield United (fingers crossed!) then he might increase his value and we get a bit of income from someone we're not using to put toward a purchase of a more pressing need next Summer.
    What if we win the league this season? Based on your previous statement, a league winning team (albeit two two seasons ago) doesn't need further purchases?

Joking aside, kinda feel for the fella. Not sure who was responsible for the purchase, if it was Klopp, he would have played him ahead of Kabak at least?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    What if we win the league this season? Based on your previous statement, a league winning team (albeit two two seasons ago) doesn't need further purchases?

Joking aside, kinda feel for the fella. Not sure who was responsible for the purchase, if it was Klopp, he would have played him ahead of Kabak at least?
    Which previous statement specifically? I post regularly enough on here and my memory isn't the greatest. I will say in general terms that additions are generally ideal, but they need to be the right ones. I do feel there's a massive over-emphasis on transfers in the sport as a whole as opposed to more emphasis on working with what you have. I'd also rather "create" squad/rotation players via the Academy/purchases at youth level/free transfers as often as possible so as to free up funds for improving the first team or those who will seriously challenge/are likely to be the first-teamers of the future.

You also plan around departures and contract situations related to age for me. Next summer I'd say we will see Milner depart plus will probably (if offers arrive) call time on one of Ox or Keita due to their injury records. This will open a door for a midfielder to come in (hopefully a serious challenge to our first-choice mids) whilst still allowing breathing room for Jones to develop - plus we'll know more as to what Klopp's plan is for Elliott. Pre-season suggests him getting some chances as more of a no.8 than as a wide forward and if he succeeds. Equally we won't want to see all of our front three hit 33 or so simultaneously so I foresee succession planning of sorts and the arrival of a forward next season, even if they are "only" in the £15m-£30m range with a view to eventually phasing out, say, Firmino.

It's not that I think we never need transfers. But this season (when I look at last) I do see doors opening for players who were unlucky last season and want to trial them before bringing more in -

- Jones is further developed
    - Elliott got a great loan
    - Keita and Ox have good pre-seasons under their belts
    - Tsimikas needs his chance
    - Thiago better understands the League
    - Konate is a new signing
    - Minamino has an actual pre-season and (presumably) more English.

That's 8 players who, through different circumstances, now have opportunities (even if they don't all take them) to either contribute this season, or contribute considerably more than last. I want to give that a go, then see where we are in a more settled market next season when another squad space or two has opened up.

Just how I see it - appreciate that others may massively disagree, which is totally fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post

Klopp did not want Davies.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Clarkson joining Blackburn on loan for the season great move as he is a talented player and we obviously trust them with the work they did with Harvey.

Clarkson is a very good prospect. If he continues to develop the way he has, he’ll be back next season for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Clarkson joining Blackburn on loan for the season great move as he is a talented player and we obviously trust them with the work they did with Harvey.
    Smashing. It would be wonderful to further his development. Always good to have an eye on the future and loaning him out is of no detriment to us in the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Smashing. It would be wonderful to further his development. Always good to have an eye on the future and loaning him out is of no detriment to us in the present.
    Its a good move for him and he is from Blackburn too.

Championship is a very good league to learn your craft and Mowbray likes to play proper football too.