Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Gini

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    "Georginio Gregion Emile Wijnaldum (né Boateng;

Wijnaldum was born and raised in Rotterdam, South Holland.

When he was six years old, his parents, who are both of Surinamese descent, went through a divorce resulting in his mother moving to Amsterdam.

However, Wijnaldum decided to stay in Rotterdam and moved in with his grandmother, where he lived for the remainder of his childhood.

In Wijnaldum's younger years, he never showed interest in football. He never played with a ball or watched football on TV. His ambition was to become a gymnast or acrobat.

This changed when Wijnaldum's cousin asked him to come to Sparta Rotterdam's opening day with him; then he was invited to the Sparta Rotterdam youth academy and his love for football started to grow slowly.

Wijnaldum was formerly known as Georginio Boateng, but following his mother's divorce, he took her maiden name (Wijnaldum)."

I guess the gymnastic side of him gives that tonic and robust ever fit side.
    Thank you Dicko. Great story. Maybe helps explain his great athletic longevity.

We'll miss him, honestly he seems the only midfielder that go forward and dribble with the ball, very good at not losing too....

obviously there's a few others we have but they're never fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    We'll miss him, honestly he seems the only midfielder that go forward and dribble with the ball, very good at not losing too....

As an outside left-field thought..
    Could Firmino drop back into a more predominantly midfield role?
    He has the class
    Was not always a striker
    For example Ray Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    As an outside left-field thought..
    Could Firmino drop back into a more predominantly midfield role?
    He has the class
    Was not always a striker
    For example Ray Kennedy
    Aye you never know, firminos always been more of a AMC to me than a forward, I believe that's what he was before? if you had 2 solid midfielders behind him that know how to tackle or next to him, it could work v some teams at least, and with a proper forward up top.

Aye you never know, firminos always been more of a AMC to me than a forward, I believe that's what he was before? if you had 2 solid midfielders behind him that know how to tackle or next to him, it could work v some teams at least, and with a proper forward up top.
    Think he started as a defender

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Think he started as a defender
    Correction Kev0909. Started as DM.

I'm incredibly sad to see Gini leaving, he hass many more abilities than for the purposes we used him, and made great sacrifice to play the specific controller role Jurgen wanted him to, using his immense physical fitness, power and strength, ability to work in tight areas and drive the ball forward and reading and understanding of the game to play off all our other mids and defenders in his role and did an incredible job in it that was drastically under appreciated by far too many.

The reason I remain keen on Soumare as his replacement and still hope the we do snatch Rodgers signing from under his nose at the last, is that with Gini, we took a player more accustomed to playing a more attacking role who had all the above attributes to play our controller role successfully and the only thing Gini lacked in the role was medium to longer passing ability. Soumare is a player who has all the attributes Jurgen identified in Gini to play that role, but he has equal levels of natural fitness, greater power, strength and speed and better medium to long range passing ideal for the role and has grown and developed playing in that role -AND unlike Bissouma, he doesn't have the Afcon issue, so to me, it's a no brainer
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Yes I don't understand why he got any criticism.
    What did people expect him to do? what Coutinho did?

His ball retention under pressure is incredible and I think overall he's our most complete MF.
    I cant remember any occasions where he was poor and most other players weren't even worse. Just a shame his goal contribution was not the same as with the national team. Yes I know his position is different but his shooting seems better for the national team.
    22 in 73 for them, 22 in 178 for us lol
    Last edited by toshin; 28th May 2021 at 03:14 AM.

Don’t know how he’s expected to manage on a penny less…

“According to Dutch outlet De Telegraaf, the French giants have offered the box-to-box midfielder an annual salary worth more than £8.6million (after tax) on a three-year deal.“

Basically £165,000 AFTER TAX. So probably more like £300k a week.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Don’t know how he’s expected to manage on a penny less…

“According to Dutch outlet De Telegraaf, the French giants have offered the box-to-box midfielder an annual salary worth more than £8.6million (after tax) on a three-year deal.“

Basically £165,000 AFTER TAX. So probably more like £300k a week.
    Bet his agent has had a nice pay day too.....

Still, I look at boxing and it makes me feel better about football, so corrupt and completely about £££££ stupid fights against a youtuber, nets you 35m LOL.