Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Gini

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Lovely, silky smooth footballer. I used to think he disappeared in away games but the last two seasons he has become much more consistent. I hope there’s a chance he might stay
    I hope that too, we already need to get one CM in during the summer while having a clear out of the 4 failed attempts to sign a productive attacking midfielder, if FSG let Gini go, we need 2 high quality CMs, one attacking, one to fill the huge void Gini will leave who can also provide cover for No6
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

“I’m fighting against tears right now. The people in Liverpool have shown me love during the five years. I will miss them, you know?”

Soon after he signed for us I began to realise what a gem he was, not just on the field of play but the man himself.

Every player in the squad loves him and it’s so clear to see. Klopp adores him and it really isn’t hard to see why.

I must admit I was holding back the tears too as he bid farewell to the Kop. We are losing more than a player.

A total one off...

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/0...new-adventure/

Virtually an ever-present fur us over those 5 seasons.
    178 PL appearances out of a possible 190.
    Remember being very worried about him playing against us when he was at Newcastle.
    So glad when he joined now so sad that he's leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    “I’m fighting against tears right now. The people in Liverpool have shown me love during the five years. I will miss them, you know?”

Soon after he signed for us I began to realise what a gem he was, not just on the field of play but the man himself.

Every player in the squad loves him and it’s so clear to see. Klopp adores him and it really isn’t hard to see why.

I must admit I was holding back the tears too as he bid farewell to the Kop. We are losing more than a player.

A total one off...

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/0...new-adventure/
    Has anyone come out and said why he is leaving. What is the issue/reasoning?
    Does he just want to try something new?
    Is it down to the Contract? If it's the contract then it's very short sighted by the club.

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Is it down to the Contract? If it's the contract then it's very short sighted by the club.
    That very much depends on the details, which we don't know.

He'll be 31 in November. He was on roughly £90,000 per week. Some talk in the background a while back is he wanted parity with the other mainstays of the team. If we use Thiago's wage packet as a yard-stick (£200,000 per week) and Wijnaldum wanted to be quite close to that (let's say £150,000 per week as it's a neat, concise figure) along with the talk that he wanted a 4-year deal when we had offered a 3-year deal, then you're talking about committing (£150,000 per week for 4 years) a sum of a little over £31m in wages for a player who is more likely to give 2-3 good years rather than 4 and that is depreciating in value should we ever wish to sell.

I'm all in favour of having the odd player who is a bit "older" around the club, but you don't want to make a habit of it. Gini is excellent now but if we had him and Henderson hitting 33/34 at the same time in the future, it creates a problem. More often than not it's better to prevent too many members of a squad from hitting certain ages at the same time.

It's up to the club to make good use of the "saved" £31m or so over the coming seasons - the capacity to tie down Van Dijk and Salah for example (if talking wages) or boost Trent's income - or whoever it is - or to have the money for 4 instalments for a £30m player spread out over a 4-year period (most of Konate's fee right there) is what the club are likely looking at.

Hopefully it proves to be the correct call. We do have to look to the future now and then.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    It may well be a contract issue but personally I think it may be also a little to do with having put in such a shift over 5 years for a Klopp team in what is probably not his favoured role.
    Amazing he has remained pretty much injury-free.
    A remarkable athlete.
    Perhaps he feels it was time for less lung- busting stuff and a time, while there is still time and still injury-free, to show his undoubted skills in a different role.
    Thank you Gini.

Apparently he wanted 4 years and club offered 3 years..3 years is a long contract. Don't know why he didn't take it personally
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Apparently he wanted 4 years and club offered 3 years..3 years is a long contract. Don't know why he didn't take it personally
    Agent probably, the scum of the earth, so many people in this world make obscene amounts of the money off the back of other people's abilities
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Agent probably, the scum of the earth, so many people in this world make obscene amounts of the money off the back of other people's abilities
    Some players have disregarded their agents altogether when they really want something.

Won’t consider him as a “legend” just because of his two goals against Barca, nor will I consider him one because he was never injured. Far too many mediocre and subpar performances. I guess he’s like Lucas, fan favourite because when was always available.

Milner will be kept until he's 36. I don't know if anyone is as fit as Milner but Gini comes close so I don't see his age as a big issue. Milner is on £140,000 per week. I think we need a bit more creativity in midfield but if we can sign that player and keep Gini then that would be ideal.