Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The sad demise of Tot Ten Ham Hotspur

I agree but knowing the media frenzy and PR disaster for his parent club after all that went before - it was a calculated love bite surely..?

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    By the way, I think Hicks and Gilette were actually doing a decent job up to and after the Milan final. The 2005 final was heavily against the odds but we were getting stronger and stronger after that point. We signed Torres after Athens and things were looking very promising.

It was after that point when things started to fall apart. They fell apart upstairs - Rafa was still a good manager, but everything lost its shape. The owners fell out with the manager - they weren't giving him what he needed, or they weren't able to assure him that they were working with him. They contacted Klinsmann to take his position after the falling out, undermining the direction of the club fatally. The ownership structure had lost its integrity at that point.

It took about tree years for Benitez to leave from that point and the club was thereafter destabilised, eventually severely. The sickness was in the board room and it wasn't until we got some health back into the core of the club that we were able to build for success again.
    Hicks and Gillete didn't come in until 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I agree but knowing the media frenzy and PR disaster for his parent club after all that went before - it was a calculated love bite surely..?
    An interesting concept Steveo!

Former Liverpool owner Tom Hicks has blamed his former partner George Gillett for their collective failure to deliver success at Anfield. The Americans took over the Reds in 2007 but sold three years later to John Henry and New England Sports Ventures group via a court ruling.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    You don't think he would strengthen them?
    He will get goals. But on counter attacks i think he will be easier to defend against... Rather than a forward who can hold the ball and run with it. I think Citys attacks will break down easier
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    He will get goals. But on counter attacks i think he will be easier to defend against... Rather than a forward who can hold the ball and run with it. I think Citys attacks will break down easier
    Personally I think he will spend a lot of time on the bench if he joined Man City .
    That may suit him or nay not.
    Could be effective if it is employed that way and he will no doubt get a few trophies.

I think he would play most games, they have just lost Aguero and Jesus wouldn't score as many as either of them.

My personal preference is that he is priced out of a move and stays at the Spuds. Would want him to stay well clear of Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Hicks and Gillete didn't come in until 2007
    yes true. They were there in the months leading up to the final against AC Milan. They had promised to have the new stadium started within 60 days and to back Rafa with whatever he needed in terms of signings. Their relationship started to sour around the time of the winter transfer window, about a year in.

My comments about the period after 2005 are incorrect. Even though Moores / Parry were making some important signings, they were losing control of the finances and did not know how to catch up with United, which is why the board recommended selling to Hicks and Gillette

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    yes true. They were there in the months leading up to the final against AC Milan. They had promised to have the new stadium started within 60 days and to back Rafa with whatever he needed in terms of signings. Their relationship started to sour around the time of the winter transfer window, about a year in.

My comments about the period after 2005 are incorrect. Even though Moores / Parry were making some important signings, they were losing control of the finances and did not know how to catch up with United, which is why the board recommended selling to Hicks and Gillette
    Surely this belongs on a different thread by now!