Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Playing like Champions

Maybe playing like underdogs might be more appropriate given circumstances

I think there's been a bit of confusion among our players as to what this actually means, since winning the league there has been a lot of fannying around attempted fancy flicks that never seem to come off and an foul smelling air of complacency, they've not been playing like Champions at all.

To me playing like Champions means first and foremost playing with the same intensity, hunger, desire, work ethic and absolute beligerance in doing all those things and having an unshakable resolute determination that you will NOT be beaten and nothing less than a win in every single game is good enough.

I feel it is incredibly important to not start with the fancy flicks, showboating, over playing and over complicating of things uneccessarily and to never lose sight of what made you Champions and look to improve on doing the things that made you Champions even better rather than trying to do different things.

For me what made us Champions was first and foremost an incredible hunger and desire and work ethic, an attitude that we will never be beaten and no game or situation was ever lost or beyond being won and an absolutely incredible press, never ever letting the opposition having the ball easy and never ever having time on it when they did get possession.

Play wise and why I don't like all the fancy flicks and over playing we've seen since we won the League, the press came first and foremost, we weren't and aren't an all singing all dancing expansive football side, but what we do is devastatingly effective.

We test teams in every imaginable way, switch balls to release or find our full backs and forwards on either side of the pitch in space are an absolutely essential part of our game, to find those players of the quality they are in isolation, in space or in a position in which the LCM RCM LB or RB will quickly be in support of them so we can play a ball they can chest or head or lay off to one of those other players first time before making their runs in behind is so so important to our continued success.

The other crucial part of our game in combination with our press is the constant runs in behind and playing those long balls over the top of opposition defences, even when they're camping on their 18 yard line and playing them to such a level of quality that we either find the forwards run or the ball is so near perfect the defender can only half clear it and we win any second balls and quickly form and attack form there or quickly work it to one of our full backs to put an early ball into the box with the oppositions line slightly disturbed and our forwards able to take positions to make their second runs escaping their markers attentions while their focus is on where the half cleared ball will go.

For me together with our set pieces and Trent's right to left switches to find Robbo making runs in advance of our midfield and forwards at times (Robbo needs to start returning that favour at times) they are all the things that made us Champions and I feel it is incredibly important we do not lose sight of that

I 100% stand by this post and believe it is especially relevant after todays game and was after the City game at the Etihad, sure add a bit of cuteness over time, add more midfielders with passing ability to play the right type of passes for our forwards and full backs of the required quality for fucks sake and then let the passing game side of it evolve naturally, trying to force tappy crappy, unnecessarily overplaying and forgetting to do what made us Champions League winners and Premier League Champions in games like today isn't evolution
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Playing like champions doesn't mean we always win every match.

And it certainly doesn't mean crying when we draw or giving up.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Playing like champions doesn't mean we always win every match.

And it certainly doesn't mean crying when we draw or giving up.
    I'm not giving up, but for me there's been too much trying to prove a point in a few games, about signings, about how we approach games against certain sides, and that trying to prove a point has cost points, and although last season's loss of all our senior Cbs did put a spanner in the works, for me we've not made a good job of our evolution from where we were in 18-20 and our overall strengths then that should have been built on not ditched

And before anyone says it I'm getting bored of the look where we are line, we have a squad with strength in depth for the first time this season that has enabled us to try for both domestic cups, with the players we have, if we were still in a position where we had to play pretty much our best 11-14 players every game, you'd expect us to be high on the list of favourites and challenging for the Premier League and Champions League and just not challenge for the domestic cups

Are we as good as we were at our peak in 18-20 not even fucking close, not even close, we just have a stronger squad now, current best 11 plays 19-20 best 11 all players fit, current best 11 gets trounced

"bored of the look where we are line".
    Spot the irony competition, all entries in by 3pm today.

We probably arent as good for a start our forwards are all older and have lost a yard.

Van Djik is not the same since injury either.

We might lose but we dont get hammered that is mad talk.

We were 14 points behind at christmas so we have pulled it back you think we are the best but the league table says otherwise, City are the team to beat at the minute.

We are in two more cup finals imagine supporting Southampton/Wolves they dont have much to enjoy really we do it could be worse the owl could be manager !

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    you think we are the best but the league table says otherwise, City are the team to beat at the minute.
    Take away their 4 points they got for 2 wrong VAR handball calls and give us our 2 for the first Spurs game non pen and who is the best really - Or tell me where you think those 3 very wrong, even by Mr Refs Association Gallagher's verdict decisions have been evened out elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Take away their 4 points they got for 2 wrong VAR handball calls and give us our 2 for the first Spurs game non pen and who is the best really - Or tell me where you think those 3 very wrong, even by Mr Refs Association Gallagher's verdict decisions have been evened out elsewhere
    No idea its not worth worrying about as I cant change it.

You have been saying we need to take refs and VAR out of it which you do to some degree but if you get a few dodgy decisions ie Spurs away you are going to be angry.

Oil clubs are up to no good imo we all know this and it will get worse with Newcastle as they make City look paupers.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    No idea its not worth worrying about as I cant change it.

You have been saying we need to take refs and VAR out of it which you do to some degree but if you get a few dodgy decisions ie Spurs away you are going to be angry.

Oil clubs are up to no good imo we all know this and it will get worse with Newcastle as they make City look paupers.
    I CANNOT see how those 2 handball decisions, both unquestionably wrong, no doubt, were given as they were unless 'up to no good' now includes bribing officials

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I CANNOT see how those 2 handball decisions, both unquestionably wrong, no doubt, were given as they were unless 'up to no good' now includes bribing officials
    VAR should work but it kind of can have the reverse effect too if you have an idiot/cheat in control it can/does change a result.