Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Playing like Champions

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    When the first 11 is available maybe thats when the passing game starts to work?
    Its clearly not working now and is costing us.
    It might not be a bad thing if Thiago starts being used less frequently.
    Tees I posted this thread on 1st September, strongly warning against ditching our direct style and rather building on that with Thiago as the more attacking mid of our 3 to prompt and develop new variation of movement, It's not Thiago that's the issue, we started the passy passy tappy tappy overplaying crap at the end of last season and were very obviously trying to play like that and ditched our direct style that won us four trophies all the time he was out
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Tees I posted this thread on 1st September, strongly warning against ditching our direct style and rather building on that with Thiago as the more attacking mid of our 3 to prompt and develop new variation of movement, It's not Thiago that's the issue, we started the passy passy tappy tappy overplaying crap at the end of last season and were very obviously trying to play like that and ditched our direct style that won us four trophies all the time he was out
    To me it’s not just tactical. It’s mental. The amount of quick passes to supporting players on the gallop that we turn down now in favour of recycled possession is unbelievable. The polar opposite of our successful periods.

Yep, continually stop and check back instead of pressing forward. We have become so easy to play against surely the coaching staff and manager can see it’s just not working

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    To me it’s not just tactical. It’s mental. The amount of quick passes to supporting players on the gallop that we turn down now in favour of recycled possession is unbelievable. The polar opposite of our successful periods.
    It absolutely IS tactical, they are being told to play like that, to try and develop a tappy tappy passing game, in Trent's recent interview with Sky he gave the game away totally "We changed quite a lot this season, probably too much"

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    It absolutely IS tactical, they are being told to play like that, to try and develop a tappy tappy passing game, in Trent's recent interview with Sky he gave the game away totally "We changed quite a lot this season, probably too much"
    Yes. That quote absolutely illustrates it.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Yep, continually stop and check back instead of pressing forward. We have become so easy to play against surely the coaching staff and manager can see it’s just not working
    They've fucked up royally, it isn't working, it was clear it wasn't working when we started with that crap at the end of last season, why the fucking hell would you ditch what won you four trophies almost entirely, play all your best players out of form and break down all the relationships built through playing a certain way over the last four seasons? It is absolutely fucking ridiculous

You bring Thiago in, play him as the more attacking midfielder of the 3 as one of our 3 always operates and build up greater variety of movement and ways to break teams down and gradually build that up over time naturally while retaining and still using all your ability at being direct

We should revert to our direct approach for the rest of the season a do what we should have done in the first place and save possession tappy tappy for when we have a 2-0 plus lead, the opposition HAVE to come and press and at that point shift Thiago to CM where he can play his passes that take 3 or 4 players out of the game to create another goal, those brilliant passes he makes from deep don't work against park the bus sides, they are specifically suited for use against sides that are pressing you and trying to attack you, but his other passing can played as our more attacking midfielder,

we are a well oiled machine which functions with all its parts working in harmony.

robbo and trent both have stopped assisting to the levels of the past two seasons.

robbo has vvd behind him and fab to his left as well as mane all covering and pressing when he attacks. total confidence which means freedom.

the opposite flank, trent has gomez with his pace covering and hendo to his side. even salad covers and all press. again, total confidence and freedom.

take the whole cb pairing away and the knock on effect is felt right across both flanks.

then you have the lower defensive line and the midfield pushes back resulting in an ineffective geggenpress.

we are not a team like city reliant on individuals but individuals reliant on the system to help them.

when that system breaks down, you’re going to struggle.

it’s a shit deal we have got but it is what it is.

Dropping our direct play almost entirely and overplaying and trying to play through teams with pick the lock football when all our movement and positioning and automation of doing things was built up and focused through being so direct and we don't have the midfielders or time built movement to play pick the lock football but were devastatingly effective at smashing down doors with a sledgehammer is as big a reason for our dramatic loss of form as VAR and our injuries

Has it been deliberately dropped? If so why are we persevering with it when it's having such disastrous consequences? You'd think we would atleast try and go back to being direct with what we've got in an attempt to stop this malaise.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Has it been deliberately dropped? If so why are we persevering with it when it's having such disastrous consequences? You'd think we would atleast try and go back to being direct with what we've got in an attempt to stop this malaise.
    We've got no-one in the middle of the park to play those more direct playmaking passes now Hendo's out and no-one at CB either now Virgil, Matip and Hendo are out, unless he brings Davies in and has Trent and Robbo play more switches and attempt those balls over the top