Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Thiago, the man who makes gaps appear

Quote Originally Posted by fiordearg View Post
    OK since he's returned to the team we've been dogshite at home. 5 losses in a row!
    Think he's been playing as he's our only midfielder other than Hendo who 'should' be able to play the switches, balls over the top and pick out our forwards runs in behind, but on the evidence of him trying to do that and be more direct the last few games, it turns out he isn't even close to Hendo's ability to play those more direct balls, along with all our other midfielders

Nothing much we can do to change it, Naby and Milner are our best bet for actually creating something with a forward pass from midfield at the moment, neither can play the switches or balls over the top either, but they can potentially thread one through, or maybe Shaq too, with the overplaying bollocks it seems most of our players have got into the terrible habit of taking too many touches though

it's like back to basics, learning to play again, when that gap is there to thread the ball through, they need to be playing it, if the forwards on his heels and not alive to it, it's at least prompting them to be alive to it next time, try it again, repeat
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I remain convinced that Thiago is an excellent footballer. Whether or not he is the right fit for us is a question that is regularly rearing its head now though.

I do want to see him OR Wijnaldum play for a couple of games. They seem to end up trying to occupy the same sorts of spaces at times when trying to show for the ball.

Also, to be fair to Thiago, he does tend to play several progressive passes towards Firmino, the eye test telling me he does it more in the early part of games - not sure if people stop showing for the ball or if it's some weird tactical nuance but it seems to drop off as a game progresses.

Wish we had seen him for a run of games in a midfield three of Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson as that feels like it would be nicely balanced but we aren't getting it this season. Hope it works out for him with us - too many question marks just now.

As I said when we signed him he's what I call a 'bits and pieces playee' - capabale of the sublime but more often than not doesnt do a great deal. A bit like Luis Garcia.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    As I said when we signed him he's what I call a 'bits and pieces playee' - capabale of the sublime but more often than not doesnt do a great deal. A bit like Luis Garcia.
    At least Luis would get a round of Sangria in.

Will judge him when the teams at the standard we all expect, not completely fucking shite

if we ever get to that standard ***

I’m going to do what I should have done a long time ago and start backing our opponents. Champions league and 2nd here we come. Ye can thank me in may.

That was more like it last night, A big game player turning up. He just needs to be reminded we expect that kind of performance in every game. Thats how we became the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    That was more like it last night, A big game player turning up. He just needs to be reminded we expect that kind of performance in every game. Thats how we became the best.
    Having muscle next to him in midfield help. The midfield was so balanced. Gini could run with the ball. Fabinho the shield and Thiago could be a disruptor and bit in challenges knowing that there is cover. His passing was at his level.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    He was Boss last night. Having a better midfield three will have helped, he has calmed down the more erratic tackles and if/when he makes a mistake now, he'll be further up the pitch with Fabinho covering, so mistakes should be less costly in theory.

It's a treat watching him. Also loved that he had a couple of Crane kicks last night including that pass to Salah. Thiago was Kung-Fu fiiiightiiiing, nah nah nah nah nah nah, nah nah naaaah!!!!!

Lets not get carried away. the opponents played a very high line as well last night.. Im yet to see how he can influence an intense game of football in the premier league..Its all about winning an high percentage of games.. But in the middle of the park. Im unconvinced that hes the answer.but time will tell
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century