Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 223

Thread: Jota

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Kev, do you maybe want to take a moment to bring your thoughts in order and then get back to me? This is gibberish.
    Hilarious!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    City of Self Doubt
    Posts
    16,837
    Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Hilarious!
    It wasn't meant to be. I really didn't get what he was talking about. Upon reflection I assume I have a decent idea, but I'd still rather hear it from the man himself, rather than try to piece it together from how I think his brain might work.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    It wasn't meant to be. I really didn't get what he was talking about. Upon reflection I assume I have a decent idea, but I'd still rather hear it from the man himself, rather than try to piece it together from how I think his brain might work.
    I don't know what's hard to understand? is it because you're foreign? torresgoalgoals? (I joke you little cutiepie)

    Quote from IAN

    "Because they make up the best front 3 in world football ?"

    Then you go on to say so was pele and coutinho-

    Best 3 in the world? - hence "are you drunk" coutinho in the same sentence? as pele / best in the world?

    Or have I misread ?? - but why would you say so was pele coutinho etc when Ian just said what he did.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    City of Self Doubt
    Posts
    16,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    I don't know what's hard to understand? is it because you're foreign? torresgoalgoals? (I joke you little cutiepie)

    Quote from IAN

    "Because they make up the best front 3 in world football ?"

    Then you go on to say so was pele and coutinho-

    Best 3 in the world? - hence "are you drunk" coutinho in the same sentence? as pele / best in the world?

    Or have I misread ?? - but why would you say so was pele coutinho etc when Ian just said what he did.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Os_Sant%C3%A1sticos
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    City of Self Doubt
    Posts
    16,837
    And yes, of course it doesn't guarantee we'll find the same quality for the same price again. No guarantees in football.

    However, it shows that it can be done and we've been amazing in the past transfer windows. No reason to shift away from the strategy that's made us a force to be reckoned with once more.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    And yes, of course it doesn't guarantee we'll find the same quality for the same price again. No guarantees in football.

    However, it shows that it can be done and we've been amazing in the past transfer windows. No reason to shift away from the strategy that's made us a force to be reckoned with once more.
    Bali - you think the strategy is what has made us a force?

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    City of Self Doubt
    Posts
    16,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Bali - you think the strategy is what has made us a force?
    Yes. Probably not exclusively though. Doesn't matter how good your strategy is if you don't have the people and resource to properly implement it and vice versa.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Yes. Probably not exclusively though. Doesn't matter how good your strategy is if you don't have the people and resource to properly implement it and vice versa.
    Ok but then it is all rather ambiguous.

    I would be inclined to ask - who's strategy is it? Klopp OR perhaps a committee inside the club?

    Might be a good time to also ask what you think changed at United after that Mark Robins goal.. Was the club strategy ( or Fergusons ) good at that point? Did it change after that goal? did United suddenly change strategy when Ferguson stood down?

    Were Napoli amazingly well run when they earmarked the GOAT to come and play for them? Was it club strategy that took them to the only league titles they ever won.. or perhaps the absolute brilliance of Diego Maradona..?

    Was Liverpool FC's strategy the major reason why Shankly took us from the second tier and to the very top? Wasn't it Bill Shankly the manager? His vision and the projection of his will and philosophy running right through the club?

    Arsenal - Was it Wenger or the club strategy?

    I am not saying I know BTW just putting this out there


    I am leaning towards the belief that the only genuine strategy (beyond hitting the jackpot with a manager) that can almost guarantee success is the pumping in of ridiculous amounts of money allowing you to buy whoever you want..
    Last edited by Steveo; 24th September 2020 at 12:49 PM.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16,837
    Oh in that case.. ok a mis-understanding.

    I've never heard of another coutinho tbh

    I'm surprised you have!

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    City of Self Doubt
    Posts
    16,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Ok but then it is all rather ambiguous.

    I would be inclined to ask - who's strategy is it? Klopp OR perhaps a committee inside the club?

    Might be a good time to also ask what you think changed at United after that Mark Robins goal.. Was the club strategy ( or Fergusons ) good at that point? Did it change after that goal? did United suddenly change strategy when Ferguson stood down?

    Were Napoli amazingly well run when they earmarked the GOAT to come and play for them? Was it club strategy that took them to the only league titles they ever won.. or perhaps the absolute brilliance of Diego Maradona..?

    Was Liverpool FC's strategy the major reason why Shankly took us from the second tier and to the very top? Wasn't it Bill Shankly the manager? His vision and the projection of his will and philosophy running right through the club?

    Arsenal - Was it Wenger or the club strategy?

    I am not saying I know BTW just putting this out there


    I am leaning towards the belief that the only genuine strategy (beyond hitting the jackpot with a manager) that can almost guarantee success is the pumping in of ridiculous amounts of money allowing you to buy whoever you want..
    I mean... yeah, of course it's ambiguous, what did you expect? It'd be naive to even hope to be able to point to a single thing / entitiy / aspect of a football club and proclaim "there, that's why they won things".

    Even asking whose strategy it is might be a tad simplistic. It's not as if there's one big boss (or committee of bosses) sitting up there in the clouds saying "this is what we'll do" and everyone following their words to the letter. Different figures inside the club work together to come up with a way forward - at least that's the impression LFC leaves on me. Klopp, Lijnders, Edwards, Moore (or whoever replaced him) and many more are all a part of that. The notion that you can view strategy and the people who shape it as two separate entities is just wrong. When Klopp leaves the club and many of those who determine the club's actions will remain. Then we might start to see what exactly Klopp's input was. Or better yet - how the club's strategy changed when he joined might give us a decent indicator of what role he plays there (modulo other changes at the same time).

    Whatever strategy made Napoli sign the overrated junky worked out for them, at least domestically. Whether or not it was a good idea at the time is anyone's guess. Too much info would be needed to pass judgement on that.

    Edit: Even saying something like "strategy" requires a lot of explanation. Strategy pertaining to what? It's huge and very convoluted topic. It's natural that we can't understand it - I don't know how to characterise ours for example and you can't see past it being tantamount to hitting the jackpot with a manager.
    Last edited by Balinkay; 24th September 2020 at 01:20 PM.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •