Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Teams Make Their Own Advantages

Great Teams Make Their Own Advantages

I remember back when Utd were dominant I would watch MOTD and so many times a team would have an easy chance to score against them, miss the chance and it would inevitably be followed by a Utd goal and victory.

I also remember a lot of late Utd goals and penalties.

I had to acknowledge they had great teams but would always think that they were also such flukey bastards with more luck than other teams.

I now see a lot of opposition fans acknowledge that we are a great team but also have the same luck along with it that I thought Utd had.

Only now watching us be dominant in almost every single game and see the same things pretty much happen, do I now see that I was wrong about Utd and the same would apply to all great teams. There is very little luck or fluke to any of it.

I can imagine that when a team is capable at any point of finishing a game off in just a small amount of time like we now are that when the opposition striker gets their easy chance, putting aside the fact that both Schmeichel and Alisson are great keepers that they have to beat, and it might be the only chance they get all game, subconciously how could the striker also not be knowing that if they miss their chance the story of the game will probably end up "Player xxx misses sitter, Liverpool go onto win".

This must add more pressure to converting the chance than when they play other teams.

With the penalties, it's logical that if a team is dominating the game then they are also likely to be spending much longer over games/seasons in the oppositions penalty area, and with the tricky strikers that great teams have of course there would be more chance of them being fouled and penalties given and conversely the opposition having so little time in our penalty area have less chance of being given penalties.

Same with late goals, apart from the fact that there is no logical reason for a goal to be more likely scored in one minute of the game than any other, you then have to add to that the fact that if a game is being drawn or the opposition are winning by a single goal they're bound to spend the last 10-15 mins desperately trying to hold out for a 'great result against Liverpool', so naturally the way teams do this is to sit deep and let us have nearly all the possession in their half. Add to this that we tire teams out with the way we play but have superb fitness levels ourselves and it's no real surprise that the pressure mounts and mounts and they eventually succomb to a goal from us.

None of it is luck, it's all natural consequences/advantages that a team gains from being dominant.

It was never really luck for Utd and it's never really luck for us (or at least extremely rarely).
    "Wilfully ignorant since 2012"

Im a great believer in You make your own luck in life. If you work hard there's a greater chance you will succeed in what ever you do.plus You can't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket.

I do wonder (if we're assuming there is no foul play) why there was a penalty disparity last season.

I can't remember the final tally, but there was a point where we had had 5 penalties while United were up to 13 - if we're so much more dominant, you'd think those figures would be switched.

But again, we'll assume all is normal and there's no agenda - is it the Nature of our goal threat, or the balls from wide, as opposed to drives into the box where a knock at speed sends a player flying?

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Im a great believer in You make your own luck in life. If you work hard there's a greater chance you will succeed in what ever you do.plus You can't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket.
    Yes - this is so true.

Think it was Gary Player.? When quizzed about why he got so lucky with tough shots playing out of bunkers - quipped. “the more I practise - the luckier I get’.

A lot of the filthy's late late goals were in what the Murdoch media called Fergie time, time added on that shouldn't have been, it's another example of how our media normalise things through adverse CBT to get the general public to accept things that they never should have

There were also many many penalties they had that weren't penalties and many that should have been given against them that weren't, that isn't making your own luck, unless by making your own luck you mean David Gill being balls deep in the refs association
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Agree - but a very different thing to luck.

I would add the constant free kicks and a huge procession of erroneous decisions against most teams at Old Trafford.

People used to say we got all the major decisions when we were winning titles, especially at Anfield. Like the thread suggests, great teams make their own luck. The best teams don't always win the cups, but they always win the league. No-one will ever come close to Fergie's 13 titles as they don't get that much time now, but i'm pretty confident this team could reach 21 titles before they do. We have the right man in charge to achieve it.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

We had the - “it’s tough to get a penalty at Anfield” - label thrown at us at our peak - and statistically - it did look like there might be an issue but it was not even close to the weight of decisions that United were accused of benefitting from: With good reason too.

They had David Gill sat on the FA board FFS.. A total shit show. Referees were scared of any bad decision against United being highlighted AND of being lampooned by Fergie on TV.

They had some great sides but also some very ordinary ones - they were winning regardless. They made their own luck at times but benefitted hugely from Outside influence/pressure.

Incidentally Gill is STILL an FA board observer.

Worth noting - Rick Parry joined the FA Board just a year ago - acting Chairman of The English Football League
    Last edited by Steveo; 10th October 2020 at 08:05 AM.

I still can't get over Masch's insane red card against them in 2010(?).
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

This is an interesting take - from an Arsenal perspective - but it was at times so glaringly obvious that these rumours persisted.

You will always get the good citizen type - the ones who believe what they are spoon fed - those who STILL don’t like to think about the dodgy Dossier - WMD HOAX and the unfortunate “Suicide” of Dr David Kelly. They believe what is easiest to digest. We are talking about the majority of people sadly. They don’t want to believe that this happens therefore it does not and they look for any example they can find to debunk the mention of it.

But corruption is endemic in sport and football is the most lucrative... To believe this doesn’t happen and didn’t happen is to be Uber naive.

https://untold-arsenal.com/archives/31602