Page 1 of 32 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Firmino 20/21

Firmino 20/21

So.

Bobby.

Hasn't been great of late. Was just thinking - he plays so, so many of our games and plays plenty for Brazil.

When we consider our League games, Cup games, European games then the international friendlies, Copa America and so on, he must have something like 250 games in him in the last five years, with relatively minimal breaks.

Could he simply be a bit burnt out and in need of a few weeks out of the side? He has purple patches with us and thus quiet patches too, but could he use a genuine break?
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    So.

Bobby.

Hasn't been great of late. Was just thinking - he plays so, so many of our games and plays plenty for Brazil.

When we consider our League games, Cup games, European games then the international friendlies, Copa America and so on, he must have something like 250 games in him in the last five years, with relatively minimal breaks.

Could he simply be a bit burnt out and in need of a few weeks out of the side? He has purple patches with us and thus quiet patches too, but could he use a genuine break?
    We have no-one at the club who could do what he does. They could try other ones there but they wouldn't be as effective.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

I don't have any issue with Bobby, he does fantastic work, like most things in our team he functions best when our press is functioning as it should be, when it isn't, he gets the good possession between their midfield and defence but is allowed to be crowded out with no-one showing for him

He was slated in the game v Chelsea, but provided the assist for our opener, he was slated last night. but provided an assist for Mo despite being overrun and not very well supported by the midfield through the entire game. He is also a player who isn't as effective when we don't have a midfield playing the switches, as when they are played is often when he moves to support that play and finds more time and space
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

He was drunk v Villa. Hasn't been at his best for a while, but that was comically bad.

And he still managed to get an assist.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    We have no-one at the club who could do what he does. They could try other ones there but they wouldn't be as effective.
    For clarity's sake, I love Bobby and the uniqueness of his role is fascinating, but he isn't at his best and hasn't been for a little while - and I think it's quite okay to point that out - he's still one of my first picks on the team sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I don't have any issue with Bobby, he does fantastic work, like most things in our team he functions best when our press is functioning as it should be, when it isn't, he gets the good possession between their midfield and defence but is allowed to be crowded out with no-one showing for him

He was slated in the game v Chelsea, but provided the assist for our opener, he was slated last night. but provided an assist for Mo despite being overrun and not very well supported by the midfield through the entire game. He is also a player who isn't as effective when we don't have a midfield playing the switches, as when they are played is often when he moves to support that play and finds more time and space
    You're conveniently overlooking the fact that he had an unacceptably high number of misplaced passes and giveaways to opposition players (and not even of the "trying a fancy flick that simply didn't quite work out" variety") many of which stopped quite a number of our promising attacks dead on their tracks.

At that level of carelessness, a player is actually more of a detriment than a just a disappointment.

Yes, his (one) assist for the Mo goal was great, but how many giveaways did we trade in exchange.
    And that's not even counting the fluffed shots and wasted opportunities that he himself didn't convert.

I'm not trying to be hard on him specifically, but after a 7-2 defeat like that - the likes of which the club hasn't suffered in over half a century,.....and to a certifiable relegation fodder team (from last season) - these kinds of hard questions need to be asked.

And it's not even like its out of the blue.
    It's been a long time coming and his performance has been worringly consistently below acceptable standards.

It's a fair question to ask if some time on the bench (or not starting games for a bit) might actually serve him better as it has in the past when he was struggling and Klopp took him out of the firing line.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    He was drunk v Villa. Hasn't been at his best for a while, but that was comically bad.

Forgive me BUT if you play Relentlessly in the false 9 - game in - game out you will get assists...? Last season it was 8.. last 3 games it has been 2. It isn’t a disaster BUT if his name wasn’t Firmino and Klopp wasn’t so religiously wedded to the same front line he would have been benched eons ago.

He got an assist last night BUT got in way of at least 2 goals... -1 assist IMO and that’s without mentioning the give away for a goal at the other end.. He was awful from start to finish. Needs some confidence from somewhere.
    Last edited by Steveo; 5th October 2020 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post

Out of interest and relevant to the midfielder discussions going on, highly relevant, at what point do you think Bobby started 'not being at his best'?

Looking through this

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/match/2019-20/first-team/fixtures-and-results

And given Bobby scored the winners against both Spurs and Wolves, which looking at them were both set up by Henderson, it appears Bobby not being at his best started around the beginning of February, coincidentally (or perhaps not) when changes to the midfield of a team that was flying were unnecessarily made
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I don't see why I should forgive you, Steveo, what you say makes sense. I don't think he's been terrible generally, so it would take some competition to bench him, but that definitely wouldn't be out of the question like it would be with, say, Mane. He simply has no such competition right now.

@19x

Boah, tough to say. February does sound more or less right. No idea if that's when midfield rotations started. No question we miss Hendo - everyone is bound to do worse when he's out.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

I think he needs to sit out a few games, same as Gomez. The whole team needs to refocus after last night but those 2 in particular.
    Probably wont happen though as there isnt really any other viable option or alternative.