Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New moneyball investment

New moneyball investment

http://www.lfconline.co.uk/news/tmnw/liverpool_owners_in_investment_talks_with_moneybal l_mastermind_amid_8bn_valuatio_951366/index.shtml

Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) are said to be in talks regarding a huge investment as part of a merger with the company founded by Moneyball mastermind Billy Beane.

The deal being discussed would merge the FSG with RedBall Acquisition Corporation. RedBall is a so-called 'special purpose acquisition company' launched by private-equity firm RedBird Capital Partners and Oakland Athletics executive Beane.

Footymad Reds MadReds LatestReds News
    Liverpool Owners In 'Investment Talks' With Moneyball Mastermind Amid $8bn Valuation

Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) are said to be in talks regarding a huge investment as part of a merger with the company founded by Moneyball mastermind Billy Beane.

The deal being discussed would merge the FSG with RedBall Acquisition Corporation. RedBall is a so-called 'special purpose acquisition company' launched by private-equity firm RedBird Capital Partners and Oakland Athletics executive Beane.

Brad Pitt depicted Billy Beane in the 2011 film 'Moneyball' | Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images
    Beane and sports banker Gerry Cardinale disclosed they had raised $575m (£433m) earlier this year in the hope of purchasing a professional sports franchise.

Thus, the Wall Street Journal claims the pair are looking to acquire a 25% stake in the John Henry's Fenway group - which own the Premier League champions and Boston Red Sox.

They raised $575m in August for this purpose and will raise a further $1bn to complete a transaction with FSG.

RedBall are said to value FSG at $8bn, including debt, and their investment would lead to the company being listed on the public stock market.

Footymad Reds MadReds LatestReds News
    Liverpool Owners In 'Investment Talks' With Moneyball Mastermind Amid $8bn Valuation

Brad Pitt depicted Billy Beane in the 2011 film 'Moneyball' | Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images
    Beane and sports banker Gerry Cardinale disclosed they had raised $575m (£433m) earlier this year in the hope of purchasing a professional sports franchise.

Thus, the Wall Street Journal claims the pair are looking to acquire a 25% stake in the John Henry's Fenway group - which own the Premier League champions and Boston Red Sox.

They raised $575m in August for this purpose and will raise a further $1bn to complete a transaction with FSG.

RedBall are said to value FSG at $8bn, including debt, and their investment would lead to the company being listed on the public stock market.

Henry has overseen plenty of success at Anfield since Jurgen Klopp's arrival in 2015 | Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images
    FSG have been open to the possibility of making available a minority stake in the Reds to outside investors for some time, but have consistently denied suggestions they have any plans to sell the club outright.

The American company have had ownership of the Reds since October 2010, overseeing major success at Anfield in recent years after an initial tricky period.

Henry, meanwhile, has leaned heavily on Beane's 'Moneyball' strategies - which use statistics to take the subjectivity out of signing players - when pinpointing new talent for both the Red Sox and Liverpool. The principal owner of FSG tried to acquire Beane for the Red Sox, a monster franchise in comparison to his Athletics, but he declined their offer.

The principal owner of FSG is said to be keen on striking a deal soon | Michael Regan/Getty Images
    Nevertheless, while discussions between FSG and RedBall are in their early stages and could yet fall apart, the Financial Times notes that the potential listing of the FSG would be one of the most high profile sports offerings of its kind in recent years.

If a deal was to be struck, the financial boost would be stark. Although, it remains to be seen what the exact impact on Liverpool would be.

Not a bad return for FSG, invest £300 million, then a decade later sell off 25% for £1.5 billion!!!

No reason for Mbappe 2021 not to happen...
    You are essentially an oxygen thief.

Mbopp???

Fuck. Well we all knew this moment would come some day. Let's hope Klopp manages to eek out a few more trophies and good years out of the boys. If I understand correctly, after this deal inevitably goes through, the club will be at the mercy of the stockholders, a la Glazers, whose only goal will be to generate money for themselves.

Awesome. Just awesome.

Fuck me.

I mean fair play to FSG. They're businesspeople, that's what they do... but still.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

No surprise at all really - it was always going to go this way. The moment genuine success was delivered - they were going to start this process.

Do not let Yanks into your club. Nothing against them personally BUT this isnít their sport. This is purely business. So while the Russian Or the Arab is genuinely interested in being winners in a sport they love - the American is really not that concerned beyond the profit. You cannot run a football club for profit - it does not work.

Letís hope Klopp can continue to work his magic and see where it leads.
    Last edited by Steveo; 11th October 2020 at 12:04 PM.

well if we have people that actually put some money into the club without just taking/milking it that can't be a bad thing?

Yep and if Boris Johnson wasnít such a cunt he might be ok..

Allowing investment from Redball opens the door to all manner of problems.

@Steveo,

"So while the Russian Or the Arab is genuinely interested in being winners in a sport they love " - I'm not sure they necessarily are, you know. They're also interested in profit imo, just not the monetary type. The Russian wants a bit of life insurance so that his best mate - the new czar - doesn't kill him the second he becomes useless and the Arab wants to wash away the blood of all the heinous crimes they commit in the eyes of the public. Tbh I'd take someone trying to make money from the club over that any day.

For all three parties in this scenario the club's success is just a means to optimise the actual objective function. It is not the objective function itself. But I do see your point - from a fan's perspective it might seem like that's not the case, as the project just seems to run on a larger temporal scale. But make no mistake. The moment the Arabs don't need City anymore, they'll drop them like a ripe pear.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Fuck. Well we all knew this moment would come some day. Let's hope Klopp manages to eek out a few more trophies and good years out of the boys. If I understand correctly, after this deal inevitably goes through, the club will be at the mercy of the stockholders, a la Glazers, whose only goal will be to generate money for themselves.

Awesome. Just awesome.

Fuck me.

I mean fair play to FSG. They're businesspeople, that's what they do... but still.
    You're a money man Bali , not a good deal for us then ?
    One thing about Utd that gets over looked , they have back all their managers with alot of money . It's just it's been spent poorly.

No no no Bali - only one place on the planet worth mentioning where what we call football Is an irrelevance.

Thatís the real point. Imagine Russian or British investors in a US Baseball Club..?

If there is a group of investors willing to take over your club - never a great scenario - BUT if you are after long term success you just donít sell to Americans. They just donít understand what we call football. It isnít in their dna. They will aim for success ONLY as a means to profit - it isnít with any passion at all. So once achieved what is left...? Is that hunger that Abramovic or the Mansours still foster? Doubt it - just rinse and repeat. Sell sell sell.

Buy low - sell high
    Last edited by Steveo; 11th October 2020 at 12:41 PM.

Not a moneyman at all, ian - I don't really understand economics at all, haven't studied it either. n4c would have known a bit more on this.

To me it sounds like the time has come for FSG to collect on their investment as is their right. They'll throw us to the stock market and let us get eaten by the wolves who'll start drawing dividends from the club like the Glazers are at United. FSG didn't do that up until now since that was the best way to increase the club's value. Now they're at a point where they've achieved their goal and are willing to sell up. Like I said, fair play - it's a great deal for them and we can't complain too much tbf - No6 and No19 are nothing to be scoffed at.

But I do fear we'll turn into Arsenal at best. It won't be a quick fall from grace, it'll take time, but it will probably happen. The reason this model works for United is that they're commercially just so much bigger than anyone else. If we could grow to that size it wouldn't matter if they were syphoning cash out of the club. It would still be a juggernaut. But I don't think we're anywhere near that, not sustainably so anyway.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non