Click here for Liverpool FC personalised gift shop

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New moneyball investment

Spot on Bali - and no - no blame on FSG for being extremely smart and clued up on their investment.

Would be great if they had developed a love for the club and intended to stay on long term BUT that was never going to happen was it..? This was always a major flaw in the setup from my perspective.

Ok Bali Cheers . What we don't want is Jurgen to be in a position were he wants a certain player and there's no money for him. That's when we will get worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    No no no Bali - only one place on the planet worth mentioning where what we call football Is an irrelevance.

Thatís the real point. Imagine Russian or British investors in a US Baseball Club..?

If there is a group of investors willing to take over your club - never a great scenario - BUT if you are after long term success you just donít sell to Americans. They just donít understand what we call football. It isnít in their dna. They will aim for success ONLY as a means to profit - it isnít with any passion at all. So once achieved what is left...? Is that hunger that Abramovic or the Mansours still foster? Doubt it - just rinse and repeat. Sell sell sell.
    You mean places where it's irrelevant besides China, Japan, India, Australia, Finland and the rest of the non-green countries here? Not done the maths, but they should amount to around 50% of the human population.

Re: foreign ownership in the US - Nintendo apparently used to own the Seattle Mariners (a baseball team) until 2016, so it's not like it doesn't ever happen.

Though jokes aside, I kind of see what you're getting at. I'm not entirely sure I agree. Saying Americans don't get footie is painting with a very wide brush. A UK or EU consortium would have likely done the same. I doubt nationality plays any sort of significant role here. Businesspeople are businesspeople wherever they come from and petty things like sentiment can't play a role in that sort of environment, just like in politics. The stakes are just too high.

In fact, I'd argue the fact that Americans are so good at extracting money from football clubs shows a great understanding of the game.

I think what you're talking about in slightly different words than what I'd use is that their goals don't align with those of us fans. Which is completely true - we want success, they want money. But unless we get an owner who, as you say, just loves the club, those goals will never truly line up. Best we can hope for is someone who sees on-pitch success as a means to achieve their goal, which we've had in FSG.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Ok Bali Cheers . What we don't want is Jurgen to be in a position were he wants a certain player and there's no money for him. That's when we will get worried.
    Yeah, ian, it might be that these new owners run the club in a responsible and well balanced manner. With enough sustained success I'm sure there'll be more than enough cash for owners, transfers and wages alike. Though I wouldn't hold my breath. Human greed is endless.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Would be great if they had developed a love for the club and intended to stay on long term BUT that was never going to happen was it..? This was always a major flaw in the setup from my perspective.
    Yeah. Business is business I suppose. Which is a bit sad when it comes to something as passionate as a football club. Who was the owner before H&G? Wasn't he a proper fan from back in the day?
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Bali mate - what are you on about Football an irrelevance in a China...??

China is literally football mad - Crazy in fact so not sure what you are on about - is that an American Map...? Joke.. Also it simply states the most popular sport. In India football is rivalling Cricket - Cricket!!í Japan too most successful football league in Asia and football rivals baseball. Do you have any idea how many football shirts are sold in China and India...? Football is one of or the major sports virtually across the globe except the US whet there are 3 or 4 more popular sports. Letís just be clear on that point.

They are out on their own. No point arguing about it - it is simply a fact.
    Last edited by Steveo; 11th October 2020 at 01:05 PM.

Yeah, no, you're right - Asia is definitely a big market for it - was just showing it's not the most popular sport in a lot of places, not just the US.

Though I wouldn't say it's an afterthought there anymore either. They adore their women's national team and the sport has massively grown over the past ten years iirc. It's growing there just like in the other places you mentioned.

Soccer moms tried to ban heading the ball for young kids though... (true story!)

Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Yes but you do see my point right. Not exactly the cleverest choice when looking for custodians of your club.

Uber capitalist investors from a nation where business is absolute king and your sport barely makes it into 5th spot.
    Last edited by Steveo; 11th October 2020 at 01:09 PM.

Honestly I'd look at the individuals rather than some national stereotype, even if was based on reality. I know what you're getting at though, of couse.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

If they don't run it right, we riot outside the stadium. As it always has been.