Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Injury/Covid infection Update Thread 20/21

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    James Pearce reporting Alisson scheduled to return before the end of October.
    That will have been around 4 weeks. Some decent news.

We will cope far better with Alisson than without, hopefully it will focus the lads’ minds on getting back to keeping the opposition away from our goal. We seem to have forgotten how we used to be the best in the league at restricting the number of chances allowed on our goal.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    That will have been around 4 weeks. Some decent news.
    It will give everyone a big lift and it will help us to concede less, which is a great platform to build on when coupled with our possession game.

Carra saying on sky we "certainly" have to go into the transfer market in January due to us being weak in that area anyway with what we have being injury prone. Hes not wrong.
    I just do not see that happening at all though.

Carra saying on sky we "certainly" have to go into the transfer market in January due to us being weak in that area anyway with what we have being injury prone. Hes not wrong.
    That will provide more evidence that FSG are not quite as great as some think they are, and that they are trying to do things on the cheap.

We should have bought a number of quality backups before now. I also doubt that 'we' will make 'good use' of the January transfer window. Even if we do, it will be a case of "trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted".

We all want depth, but Van Dijk started 94 Premier League matches in a row for us, so it was always Van Dijk and one other (in the League) so we had Matip, Gomez and Lovren as options.

Now we have Matip, Gomez and utility option of Fabinho, whose absence from midfield (when he plays centre-back) still leaves Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita, Ox, Milner and Thiago for 3 midfield positions.

We also don't yet know if Tsimikas will be considered (as depth, not first choice) for centre-back as I think (happy to be corrected of course) he has played there before.

Plus we have a couple of young prospects to draw upon if desperate. There's little point paying £80k per week or whatever to someone who will spend most of their career with us sitting on the bench when that's half the wages of a £160k per week player, so it is something of a balancing act.

For me, even without Van Dijk, we are one of Europe's top sides. So I would be pretty hesitant to go into the January market to acquire someone at an inflated price when we have enough to cope without and still challenge for the League and Champion's League.

Same not to mention cb's seem to be in demand right now amongst everything else

We all want depth, but Van Dijk started 94 Premier League matches in a row for us, so it was always Van Dijk and one other (in the League) so we had Matip, Gomez and Lovren as options.

Now we have Matip, Gomez and utility option of Fabinho, whose absence from midfield (when he plays centre-back) still leaves Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita, Ox, Milner and Thiago for 3 midfield positions.

We also don't yet know if Tsimikas will be considered (as depth, not first choice) for centre-back as I think (happy to be corrected of course) he has played there before.

Plus we have a couple of young prospects to draw upon if desperate. There's little point paying £80k per week or whatever to someone who will spend most of their career with us sitting on the bench when that's half the wages of a £160k per week player, so it is something of a balancing act.

For me, even without Van Dijk, we are one of Europe's top sides. So I would be pretty hesitant to go into the January market to acquire someone at an inflated price when we have enough to cope without and still challenge for the League and Champion's League.
    It's a case of upgrading what was alongside VvD. Matip is good-alongside VvD. Gomez is good-alongside VvD. Theyre not as good without him but then not many defenders would be,the reliance on him hasnt been addressed. Before we signed him we had major issues at CB theres no hiding that ( but also before we signed Alisson so that's something worth noting that might lessen the impact of his absence).
    I like all of us hope the others can do what's needed. It might end up that we have a pairing between the three of Gomez,Matip and Fab that ends up being brilliant.
    We'll find out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Same not to mention cb's seem to be in demand right now amongst everything else
    True. Defence seems to have gone out of the window since the season started.
    Dean Smith said in his interview yesterday that no fans,the short pre season is having an impact on everyone's games.

Hopefully we'll be in contention for the league and qualified for the cl ko stages.
    We have plenty of time to arrange a deal and get a player in who would replace Lovrens berth in the squad.
    I'd happily see us pay a little bit more for a first team quality, young enough CB. In and around Gomez/Matip quality. It seems VVD will be out for the season really, so plenty of games to play in for a new arrival.

Keita & Ox have poor fitness records, Hendos had a few issues lately and we'll see with Thiago. Leaving Gini and Milner as ever presents fitness wise. Maybe Gini is cashed out in January though, robbing midfield might not be the wisest strategy for a long & condensed season.
    Add to that Gomez and Matip have missed a fair few games with injury. Which is another good reason to sign a CB & an enticement for a would be addition.

Transfermarkt saying Tsimikas hasn't played CB, LB and LM. William's did well in the efl games, guess he's the youth prospect klopp rates