Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Ajax (Champion's League)

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Adrian

Trent Fabinho Gomez Robertson

Wijnaldum Henderson Keita

Salah Firmino Mane

If the players not making the trip is accurate, play Keita LCM or not at all, same with Jones, LCM or LFWD or not at all

Might see this midfield from Jurgen i reckon

Minamino Henderson Wijnaldum

I'd be down with that
    Melissa Reddy on Twitter was the source, no idea who she is or whether she's a reliable source or not.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Looks like the Fabulous one, and Joe Gomez, as our centre- back pairing against Ajax.
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    No, i know it doesn't, but as we have won many games when he's been out, his loss hasn't been so great.We have yet to find out how we'll cope without Van Dijk for 6 months at best. For me, there isn't much to choose between him and Gomez, though the latter can play full back too. I think Fabinho is better than both, and another one who can play various roles.
    Matip's miles better than Gomez and better than Fabinho, but i rate Fabinho a lot better than Gomez at CB too, in the 2 biggest games he had to play there he partnered Matip in the 0-0 v Bayern and Virgil in the recent game v Chelsea

What i find completely bemusing is when he plays at CB, like Matip he seems very astute and acutely aware of any opposition player between the lines that might be open for a counter should they get a rare opportunity to attempt a transition, but when he plays at CM he wanders, ball watches, goes ahead of that player and leaves him wide open for a counter 3 or 4 times every game, it's mind boggling and incredibly frustrating, why can he do it at CB but not at CM? I rate Fabinho higher at CB than CM for that reason
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Matip's miles better than Gomez and better than Fabinho, but i rate Fabinho a lot better than Gomez at CB too, in the 2 biggest games he had to play there he partnered Matip in the 0-0 v Bayern and Virgil in the recent game v Chelsea

What i find completely bemusing is when he plays at CB, like Matip he seems very astute and acutely aware of any opposition player between the lines that might be open for a counter should they get a rare opportunity to attempt a transition, but when he plays at CM he wanders, ball watches, goes ahead of that player and leaves him wide open for a counter 3 or 4 times every game, it's mind boggling and incredibly frustrating, why can he do it at CB but not at CM? I rate Fabinho higher at CB than CM for that reason
    Fair enough that's your opinion.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Fair enough that's your opinion.
    I don't dislike Fab in the slightest, if he hadn't come here Hendo wouldn't have been pushed even harder than he continually pushes himself to raise his game to the levels he has, now Fabinho has to do the same, that's how it's supposed to work, starting with him correcting his issue with letting our press get broken and his limited distribution

Our best with Hendo at CM was miles better than with Fabinho there, a huge evolution in our press, counter press and distribution from CM, we've gone backwards from our new best ever since Jurgen brought Fab back in there, he needs to earn it and make it better to come back in
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

But centre back is a more clearly defined role. Midfield positions are more ambiguous, even a defensive mid is expected to get forward press, try to create. As a centre back even Virgil rarely goes forward during open play, although he can do it brilliantly, as that goal he scored for Celtic showed.
    I am happy with Fab in either position. I think as a sitting defender in front of the centre backs it is one of the hardest positions to play, especially in our system which is probably the highest defensive line in the league.

Melissa Reddy on Twitter was the source, no idea who she is or whether she's a reliable source or not.
    Melissa is generally pretty reliable.

Yes. Up there (almost) with the likes of Gorst and Pearce (back in the day, he's a bit more hit-and-miss since he moved to the Athletic).
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Melissa is generally pretty reliable.
    Thanks Sid.

I forgot about Tadic.. Very tricky customer on his day.. We will need to be on it to keep him quiet.

It will be a tough one in Amsterdam tonight. Need Mane and Salah to scare them early.

I wouldn't be nearly so nervous were Thiago fit..