Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We need to work harder than ever

We need to work harder than ever

A huge part of what has made this side great is how they have responded to adversity and disappointment, their response has always been to become even more focused, resilient, resolute and to work even harder to improve and that's exactly what is required now

Work harder on making sure our press and counter press offer our defence even greater protection than in last seasons run of games in Fabinho's absence

Put a lot more work into organising our defence for set pieces and who is leading it

Far more communication verbal and visual from all our defenders, whoever they are and whatever age, pointing and shouting and continually making each other aware of where the potential danger is in their area, that is something that has dropped off alarmingly in the last season, in the first 18 months Virgil was constantly pointing out players in the other defenders areas, letting them know where the potential threat was and making sure they were switched on, focused and alert to it

Heads on swivel sticks, more 'scanning' from all the lads constantly checking where all the players are, when you look at Robbo, Virgil, Matip, Hendo, Thiago, Mane, Mo, Bobby and Allison they all do it, we need more of it from all our players, even those who do it will miss the odd thing so it's important the others do it a lot more and communicate where players are or need to be too, rather than them always being the players who need to be told

Do all that and we'll do ourselves proud yet again

Our reaction to the Ramos final, getting pipped by UAE FC knowing they'd been handed points on us through plain wrong decisions and too many sides rolling over for them was exemplary and we need the same again now

And here we are again, over the weekend the side most likely to challenge us were gifted an extra 2 points while we were robbed of 2 both by VAR or it not being applied correctly or att all and it not applying the laws of the game. We can't sit around moaning about that or feeling sorry for ourselves,, we need to react in the right way and turn this into a positive thing which sees us land all 3 trophies left available to us

With all our focus, as ever, solely on each next game, getting the win and another vital 3 points or securing our place in the next round
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I've always said Gomez's issue was he is really lacking the experiences almost all top defenders have been through to become top defenderswell now the opportunity is there for him to get it and we can't for one second go into a game or come off the pitch bemoaning Virgil wasn't there, we can't affect that, what we can affect is supporting Joe, Fabinho and our young CBs and helping them, offering them the best possibleprotection, communication and guidance to help them develop into the very best players they can be and pick up 3 winners medals this season

+1

Well said, good post.

Tonights game was screaming out for a change in formation.
    Working smarter and having alternative ways of setting up would be welcome.

Would have liked to seen 4231 in tonight's game

Back 5
    Hendon Gini
    Mane Bobby Jota
    Salah

I've always had a soft spot for the 4-2-3-1 as it was the most popular formation around when I was growing up.

The thing is it places a huge load on the centre forward. You basically need a one man front like like Drogba once was for Chelsea. We don't really have a player who can do that. Except one I feel - Manč.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    I've always had a soft spot for the 4-2-3-1 as it was the most popular formation around when I was growing up.

The thing is it places a huge load on the centre forward. You basically need a one man front like like Drogba once was for Chelsea. We don't really have a player who can do that. Except one I feel - Manč.
    Salah has a good record playing CF in 4231 - is our best goalscorer and is surprisingly strong and good playing with his back to goal.
    I'd play jota left and Mane right to shore up our defensive side.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Tonights game was screaming out for a change in formation.
    Working smarter and having alternative ways of setting up would be welcome.

Would have liked to seen 4231 in tonight's game

Back 5
    Hendon Gini
    Mane Bobby Jota
    Salah
    Changing the front 3 after 60 minutes is a huge decisions from Jurgen. Great team management as the 3 that came on kept the pressure on.

Mane and Mo's greatest strengths are their runs in behind and movement on the oppositions last line of defence, if you go 4231 you completely remove their very best assets from the game and allow opposition sides to always have 2 players on either of them, a lot further from goal where they're not threatening and you hugely limit the space our full backs have to move into, plus Mane in not a CFWD, he is a million times better at LFWD a constant menace and threat than when he's moved to CFWD on occasion after subs when he becomes far less effective and drifts out of the game.

Too many Championship manager types here i'm afraid who really aren't thinking about playing to our players greatest strengths and abilities or who simply don't understand them or the relationship between our forwards movement in a front 3 and the space that creates to make our attacking full backs and our switch balls so devastatingly effective, but are cyber masturbating over seeing the team line up as they use them on Championship manager or FIFA

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Changing the front 3 after 60 minutes is a huge decisions from Jurgen. Great team management as the 3 that came on kept the pressure on.
    They did well enough tbf. We've plenty of options up top and thinner at the back. Another good reason to make the switch to 4231 again.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Salah has a good record playing CF in 4231 - is our best goalscorer and is surprisingly strong and good playing with his back to goal.
    I'd play jota left and Mane right to shore up our defensive side.
    Hm, not a bad point. I remember that period. I feel he could do a job there against the bottom half where we're expected to pile on the pressure, but against a good team it's Mane all day every day for me. He's got a better leap and is possibly even stronger than Mo.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non