Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Ajax (Champion's League)

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    What has he said?

I generally quite like Carra the pundit.
    He isn’t the worst pundit to be fair... I just don’t like him so I am biased. Described him as a cart horse when he was playing for us.

From the Mirror:
    Speaking ahead of his side's Champions League match against Ajax on Wednesday, however, Klopp appeared to take umbrage with Carragher's words.

"It's hard to have four world-class centre-halves. If anyone wants to tell us we made a mistake, I think Carragher mentioned already.

"There are a few reasons why they don't do this job..."

Ooh la la...
    Last edited by Steveo; 20th October 2020 at 08:23 PM.

Virgil's been very important at defensive and attacking set pieces and headed clearances from attempted long balls, especially in Matip's absence, i'm gutted for Virgil and hope he makes the best possible recovery, not rushing any of it, but taking all the best advice and working incredibly hard doing the right things when it is the right time to do them.

Here's the thing though, Virgil had very little defending to do at all last season aside from those things mentioned, virtually every side we played set up to stop us and try to create a transition to attack our right side, in the 20 odd game run when Fab was out we had numerous games in which the press and counter press from our forwards, midfield and full back was so good we restricted the opposition to only 1 or 2 chances, no chances at all in 2 or 3 games and most sides never got a look at our defence or were allowed to work transitions to get at our CBs and engage them into being required to do 'real defending'

Yes it's a blow, but we have Matip fit who's very strong in the air and dominant and is actually better than Virgil at stepping forward into midfield to make crucial tackles when our press would otherwise be broken, so we're really 'as you were', one dominant commanding CB the other 2 to choose from weaker.

Through the development and evolution of the team Virgil was far more vital to our aspirations in his first season and a half and far far more frequently required to show his class, all his greatests strengths and attributes that make him a top class CB than he had to last season

I though his couple of uncharacteristic errors last season were largely the result of the rest of the team doing their jobs so damned well that he'd spent the vast majority of most games not having any real defending to do
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Klopp had a go at Carragher in the press conference, saying there's a reason why people like him have a job they do and not the job that they (coaches/Klopp) have.

Get in. Carra is such a Sky shill these days.
    Agree. I love the guy but he trys too hard to be impartial in incidents like Saturdays. Just condemn the little mackem twat, but instead he says "I'm going to defend Pickford here....."
    I stopped listening after that.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Jurgen was very cagey during the press conference and Gini was straight in getting at both fouls. The players are not happy at all and Jurgen said you get injuries in football but not like that.
    Fucking raging comes to mind.
    Makes you think that what Crimson is saying could hold weight. Maybe the FA have stitched us up over #bigpicturegate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Virgil's been very important at defensive and attacking set pieces and headed clearances from attempted long balls, especially in Matip's absence, i'm gutted for Virgil and hope he makes the best possible recovery, not rushing any of it, but taking all the best advice and working incredibly hard doing the right things when it is the right time to do them.

Here's the thing though, Virgil had very little defending to do at all last season aside from those things mentioned, virtually every side we played set up to stop us and try to create a transition to attack our right side, in the 20 odd game run when Fab was out we had numerous games in which the press and counter press from our forwards, midfield and full back was so good we restricted the opposition to only 1 or 2 chances, no chances at all in 2 or 3 games and most sides never got a look at our defence or were allowed to work transitions to get at our CBs and engage them into being required to do 'real defending'

Yes it's a blow, but we have Matip fit who's very strong in the air and dominant and is actually better than Virgil at stepping forward into midfield to make crucial tackles when our press would otherwise be broken, so we're really 'as you were', one dominant commanding CB the other 2 to choose from weaker.

Through the development and evolution of the team Virgil was far more vital to our aspirations in his first season and a half and far far more frequently required to show his class, all his greatests strengths and attributes that make him a top class CB than he had to last season

I though his couple of uncharacteristic errors last season were largely the result of the rest of the team doing their jobs so damned well that he'd spent the vast majority of most games not having any real defending to do
    Is that not just a little bit revisionist? Let's not play down how integral he is. We'd be potless if he hadn't signed for us and Matip whilst being a good defender is a world away from Van Dijk and was part of a side that shipped goals like there was no tomorrow. He looks good alongside Virgil. Nowhere near as good without.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Is that not just a little bit revisionist? Let's not play down how integral he is. We'd be potless if he hadn't signed for us and Matip whilst being a good defender is a world away from Van Dijk and was part of a side that shipped goals like there was no tomorrow. He looks good alongside Virgil. Nowhere near as good without.
    Spot on. As i said previously, we'll all see how good Matip is over the next six months or so, now he hasn't got Van Dijk helping him out. But apparently, he hasn't made it for tomorrows game according to the echo. He got injured in the derby. He wants binning, the guy's never fit. Thiago hasn't gone either ( same source )
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    It's not revisionist, Matip is a top class CB who outshone big Virg in a few of the Champions League games at the sharp end when we won it, he isn't as good, but very few are, but we defend, press and counter press as a team and had a huge evolution in how well we do that last season, so yes Virgil is a big miss, but it is nothing like the unmitigated disaster people are making it out to be that it would have been in his first season and a half

I can't honestly a remember a single absolutely crucial one v one or 2 v 1 as in that Spurs game that Virgil had to make to save our skins last season, there were 15-20 glorious examples of him having to make in his first 18 months, that's no slight on Virgil, can't make them if the team defending press and counter press is stopping them from happening

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Spot on. As i said previously, we'll all see how good Matip is over the next six months or so, now he hasn't got Van Dijk helping him out. But apparently, he hasn't made it for tomorrows game according to the echo. He got injured in the derby. He wants binning, the guy's never fit. Thiago hasn't gone either ( same source )
    Just because a player has injury problems doesn't make them a bad player, Matip's recurring injury issues are disappointing and as he's head and shoulders our best CB after Virgil when fit it was pretty daft to go into the season with just VVD, Matip and Gomez with Fab as back up

Adrian

Trent Fabinho Gomez Robertson

Wijnaldum Henderson Keita

Salah Firmino Mane

If the players not making the trip is accurate, play Keita LCM or not at all, same with Jones, LCM or LFWD or not at all

Might see this midfield from Jurgen i reckon

Minamino Henderson Wijnaldum

I'd be down with that

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Just because a player has injury problems doesn't make them a bad player, Matip's recurring injury issues are disappointing and as he's head and shoulders our best CB after Virgil when fit it was pretty daft to go into the season with just VVD, Matip and Gomez with Fab as back up
    No, i know it doesn't, but as we have won many games when he's been out, his loss hasn't been so great.We have yet to find out how we'll cope without Van Dijk for 6 months at best. For me, there isn't much to choose between him and Gomez, though the latter can play full back too. I think Fabinho is better than both, and another one who can play various roles.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.