Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Ajax v Liverpool (CL Match Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    How many reserve goalies in the PL are better than him, Noods? A reserve goalie is expected to not play regularly. I'd rather save the dosh for some other position. Adrian is very good for a backup I think. On par with the Mig and probably better if he gets a run of games.
    I honestly neither know nor care. All I'm concerned about it is us, the nineteen time league and six time European champions. We should have a better, deeper squad than we currently have, and one of the most pressing areas of concern is who we have as our backup keeper.

As I keep reiterating, I'm not expecting us to have a goalie of the same quality as Alisson on our bench, but I would like/expect us to have a backup keeper (or any other player/position) who can come in and do a 'solid' job i.e. not someone who makes those in front of him nervous, and who has the fans of the club he plays for just waiting for his inevitable (and often telling) mistake/gaff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Ok, so, where is the space for the left or right of your 3 and the space our forward create for our full backs move into?

The other tean line up 4231, they push both full backs a little further forward to be always close enough to the left and right of your 3 to stop them making runs in behind them or receiving the ball easy and turning and are quickly supported by on of their 2 to completely snuff them out easily, and you've now got, icluding 1 or 2 of their 3 coming back, 6 opposition players and 3 or 4 of ours, TEN players in the are between the centre circle and the opposition box, where is the space for Robbo and Trent, for players to be released in with our switch balls and for Thiago to thread balls through?

Sorry to rain on your parade/fantasy but if you're looking for a way to make it far easier for opposition sides to completely nullify our greatest strenths and win the ball a lot easier to release players either side or your 2, what you continually suggest is an absolute gift for every opposition manager and player
    The last time Klopp played 4231 over a significant part of the season we scored more goals than we did in 433. Our defensive records were broadly equal. Goal difference and points per game were up.

Klopp has played 4231 at LFC and Dortmund, it's not an alien system for him. I'm not sure why you believe our players are incapable of playing the system.

Thiago has just won a CL title playing in a 4231 setup, maybe he can play in a 4231 at lfc too. Hes won a lot of titles at Bayern.
    Similarly Klopp playing 4231 and Bayern have found a way to get their full backs to contribute. I find it odd how you question Thiagos ability to play in a system hes mostly played in for the last long while.
    Did we sign him because he clearly couldn't play in a 4231 at Bayern ?

Given our injury issues and whose available I'd like to see us play 4231 as stated earlier. It would get jota into the starting 11. It would also afford us the opportunity to get more minutes for Mini, Shaq, Jones and even Origi.

2 6s, a 5 man midfield with a sole striker playing a bit more compact and defensively could benefit our longevity over the season.
    If we can get back on track and find some form in 4231 it would not surprise me if Klopp went back to a 433 when we are ticking properly. Like he did beforehand.

👏1 nil is beautiful

Great result

Motm Milner / Fabinho 8s
    Gini 7.5

All 7s
    Adrian had a flap 6
    Gomez miss passing 6
    TAA a bit out of sorts 6

Squad really big now

Deep squad coping with VVD Alisson thiago Keita Matip Origi Ox the greek.

8 players out and still a very strong 11 and bench.

Subs tonight excellent.

It is a terrible addiction..

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    I honestly neither know nor care. All I'm concerned about it is us, the nineteen time league and six time European champions. We should have a better, deeper squad than we currently have, and one of the most pressing areas of concern is who we have as our backup keeper.

As I keep reiterating, I'm not expecting us to have a goalie of the same quality as Alisson on our bench, but I would like/expect us to have a backup keeper (or any other player/position) who can come in and do a 'solid' job i.e. not someone who makes those in front of him nervous, and who has the fans of the club he plays for just waiting for his inevitable (and often telling) mistake/gaff.
    Why? How many teams in Europe have that? I'm asking as it's likely to be an indicator how important the position of reserve goalie is considered by the big sides in Europe. It's usually a waste of money. If Ali turns out to be a sick note and not available half the time we should sell him and get a sturdier replacement in rather than relying on a backup.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Really tough game last night.
    Well managed by klopp.

The next few months intense 2 games a week. Squad rotation a must.
    Front 3 and 3 in midfield.
    Quite expect Minamino Jones Jota To get a lot of games.

Those 3 and Shaqiri were impressive last night.

It's very easy to spend money when it's not your own.
    Liverpool are a top club but not in the same league financially as Real Madrid, Barcelona (usually), Bayern or Man United. And can't spend like a Chelsea or Man City...
    We're more like Juventus. We have to spend thrifty and suit our needs. Not forgetting, we have one of the biggest wage bills in world football. You know, to keep the best players here for as long as Klopp needs them.
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!