Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2023242526272829303132333435363740 ... LastLast

Thread: Ajax v Liverpool (CL Match Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    They might be on another level in their own league there are plenty of teams capable of beating them on the day. The good thing about this new league if it takes off, titles will be spread around, which means they Juve PSG Barca and Real may have to get used to finishing 4th or worse, the competition will be intense from start to finish.
    Ok but aren’t you forgetting that they just won their 12 consecutive CL game... That’s 12 on the bounce sky...! How many goals is that they have scored since Kovac was replaced...?

Scary team. Avoid at all cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    I'd like to see us play a game with him starting in place of Firmino, play Mane on the other side and put Salah in the middle.
    (I know Klopp already played a variation of this frontline early on in one of our first games, but it was only towards the end of the game and not for a full 90)

But Klopp will never do that.
    He's loyal to his players to a fault and won't be wanting to drop Firmino to the bench - even for just a game and even while it may actually help him by easing the pressure off of him.
    Yep agree fully.

I doubt Mane would be as good on the right,. hes great at running inside onto his right when he plays on the left.. i would play Mane up the middle if we get Jota into the team
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    How much of that is he giving up to Fabby, who (LITERALLY) saved his bacon one more than one occassion?
    I wasn't actually being serious
    You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?"

Tbf to Adrian he did have one huge save in the first half and a few excellent punches. Why he tried to catch that slippery ball in the end is beyond me.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Tbf to Adrian he did have one huge save in the first half and a few excellent punches. Why he tried to catch that slippery ball in the end is beyond me.
    He needs a big fucking rope tied to his back so he stays in his area.

Thing about all this is Mane plays his best by a considerable distance at LFWD, his relentless closing down and lung busting runs back to defend are a big part of that and Jota doesn't do those things and you'd be giving away a lot defensively and offensively as Jota is a great signing as I said he would be, but he's nowhere near Mane's class

Same with CCTVs continual banging on about a 4231, that lad plays too much Championship manager. our forwards greatest strength and ability is their runs and movement and runs in behind the opposition defence, you're just taking that completely away from them lining up 4231 and restricting the space available for our full backs to move into to be found with the switch balls
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Seeing Bayern being mentioned.

I look at them as I would look at AC Milan in 04/05 in the sense that if we have to play them, I'd rather (given the lack of crowd) face them in a one-off match rather than a two-legged affair.

Would also add that Chelsea and AC Milan were, on paper, much further ahead of our side that year yet we still won - so don't write us off.

Lastly, we don't have to think about Bayern until at LEAST February, by which time form, injuries etc could be totally different for both teams - and we might get lucky in the draw.

Perhaps Bayern draw City, City knock them out and we then beat City - who knows - let's get through the group first. Tonight is a big step in the road towards the 10 points that usually sees a side get through.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Probably thinks he has something to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Thing about all this is Mane plays his best by a considerable distance at LFWD, his relentless closing down and lung busting runs back to defend are a big part of that and Jota doesn't do those things and you'd be giving away a lot defensively and offensively as Jota is a great signing as I said he would be, but he's nowhere near Mane's class

Same with CCTVs continual banging on about a 4231, that lad plays too much Championship manager. our forwards greatest strength and ability is their runs and movement and runs in behind the opposition defence, you're just taking that completely away from them lining up 4231 and restricting the space available for our full backs to move into to be found with the switch balls
    He's played 4-3-3 all the time he's been here, and maybe at Mainz and Dortmund too, so i can't really see him changing from that anytime soon.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.