James Milner praised Liverpool's determination to grind out a 1-0 win at AFC Ajax to kick off their Champions League group-stage campaign.
The Reds edged out the Eredivisie team in Amsterdam on Wednesday night courtesy of a first-half own goal by Nicolas Tagliafico, though the visitors were helped by a goalline clearance from Fabinho – who was deployed at centre-back – and later the woodwork.
Ultimately, it was a positive and pleasing start to Group D with Jürgen Klopp’s charges setting the early pace alongside Atalanta BC.
Post-match, Milner reflected on the nature of the contest, Fabinho’s impressive display in defence and the European debut for Curtis Jones with BT Sport…
On the result and performance…
It’s always important to start well, we did that. A tough away game as well first up, that’s a bonus. They’re a very good team, well organised and they play good football. And we’ve had an up and down week or so as well, so it was important to bounce back with a good performance. We did that and I expected nothing less from this group of players.
On Fabinho’s performance at centre-back and his goalline clearance…
He’s a top player. Top players can adapt and he did that. He’s played there before and done it extremely well. Unbelievable clearance as well, obviously. I thought it was a good team performance, it was very tough out there; they’re a good team, it was a physical battle as well, the conditions were tricky. It was a bit like an old-fashioned English game, really. We managed to grind out the win and that was the most important thing tonight – to make sure we got the three points.
THIS moment 🙌 Magnificent again tonight, @_fabinhotavares 👏 #UCL https://t.co/BtYmmBsJk6
— LFC (Liverpool FC) 21st Oct 20:57
On the oddness of the Ajax own goal…
Yeah, but you take anything. We had enough chances, really, we were disappointed not to score more in the first half, especially [when] we had a good number of counter-attacks where we didn’t finish off the situation with the right last ball. But it’s a big clean sheet. Especially with the changes we made, and coming here they are a good team, so it was important to get that clean sheet and the own goal was enough.
On Jones making his European debut…
He’s a very good player, you know. I’m sure it will be the first of many. [With] changes and things like that, he didn’t know he was playing until quite late yesterday. He’s a very good player. I thought he did well, it’s no reflection on him coming off at half-time. It’s the first of many, many European nights for him because he’s a top, top player.

More...