Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Midtyjlland (Champion's League)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    I know it's the chanpions league but we really don't need to play our best 11 here, considering the fixture congestion, even if the very worst happened and we only got a draw, a win away to ajax sets us up very nicely.
    I understand that approach, I really do. To me Midtyjlland represent semi-guaranteed points if we play well, so my inclination is to field a pretty strong side, get to a point of the game where we are comfortable (2 goals up say, or just having one of those nights where we massively monopolise possession) and start making changes once there - don't forget we can have 12 on the bench in the Champion's League and can make 5 substitutions - and we're at Home - 6 points from 6 and then hopefully an Atalanta win (they haven't reached their scintillating best this season) leaving us at 9 from 9 would "buy" us the chance to rotate much, much more heavily from a position of strength later in the campaign and that's my personal preference, though I wouldn't say no to us doing it your way as we SHOULD have enough.

When's klopp presser ? Any injury updates?

Jota needs a run of games. He wasn’t cheap and has an eye for goal. I’d start him more regularly. Drop firmino back to be the creative midfield partner with Thiago (when fit) or with Henderson. Keita needs to up his game significantly as I can see him leaving in January, which is unfortunate as I rate him.

Don’t like the idea of keeping Fabinho at CB for the foreseeable as he is a beast at CDM.

Fucking Pickford! However, it was going to happen through a tackle or a training injury. Good luck to Gomez and getting back to a standard he should be at playing for the first 11. He’s actually done rather well since VVD’s injury

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I understand that approach, I really do. To me Midtyjlland represent semi-guaranteed points if we play well, so my inclination is to field a pretty strong side, get to a point of the game where we are comfortable (2 goals up say, or just having one of those nights where we massively monopolise possession) and start making changes once there - don't forget we can have 12 on the bench in the Champion's League and can make 5 substitutions - and we're at Home - 6 points from 6 and then hopefully an Atalanta win (they haven't reached their scintillating best this season) leaving us at 9 from 9 would "buy" us the chance to rotate much, much more heavily from a position of strength later in the campaign and that's my personal preference, though I wouldn't say no to us doing it your way as we SHOULD have enough.
    Yes that's true, just think we should rotate when we can, but I don't see there being much chances to do that (well at least a lot of rotation) with the games coming up, i'm not to worried about this game or west ham (not that, it'll be a easy game either mind), it's the fixtures after.

Atalanta
    City
    Leicester
    Atalanta

We'll need the squad to be sharp for these, and not fatigued, which why we should rotate/rest players when we can, I'm really not worried about the next game can't underestimate them to much but we've got a 2nd squad that could beat them with rather easy (on paper) but like you said, the number of subs helps.

Can't have any more injury's either otherwise we are in deep trouble coming upto this run of games.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 26th October 2020 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    Don’t like the idea of keeping Fabinho at CB for the foreseeable as he is a beast at CDM.
    He really isn't

Key points: He frequently allows our press to be broken

In Jurgen's press, counter press, releasing our forward and full backs with switches and winning second balls through great positioning system, it has been played to its highest ever levels when Fabinho was out

Following that incredible run it rapidly went to shit when Jurgen inexplicably brought Fabinho back in, despite the team having undergone a huge evolution in his absence and having played far better in his absence

If you look at any youtube of Fabinho's 'highlights' obviously made by people who don't understand our system played at its best, you will find numerous clips of Fabinho running back making recovery tackles, if you understand our system and what made us Premier League champions you will appreciate these are not highlights, these are numerous instances detailing how Fabinho has allowed our press to be broken and is chasing back trying to make a tackle that he wouldn't and shouldn't need to make were he 'a beast' a CDM in our system capable of orchestrating our press and playing it to the required level and playing the switch balls that constantly move the opposition positions preventing them from ever getting set in the positions they've trained all week to try and create a transition to launch an effective counter through

Keita has never had a single good game with Fabinho at CDM they have all come playing with Gini and Hendo

Gini doesn't play the press and counter press, win as many second balls or link as effectively with Mane and Robbo to anything like his best levels with Fabinho at CDM

This isn't my opinion, these are facts, that were our fabled analysis team all they're cracked up to be, they'd have presented to Jurgen with considerable urgency prior to him bringing him back in there

Watch some Fabinho youtubes

Watch the 7-2 v Villa, his first game back v Southampton last season, the Watford game, the first leg v Atletico then the second leg and the change after he came on as sub
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Re the youtubes and recovery tackles through allowing our press to be broken, these are the ones he made, there are 3 or 4 times more examples of ones he didn't make and was so badly off the press and counter press he was nowhere near close enough to affect the play and what developed after he allowed our press to be broken

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    If there is a silver lining to be taken from that cloud, it's that the best steel is forged in the hottest fires.

Being in "nearly" situations can break some people, but for others it creates an Iron Will that is unshakeable and becomes a terrifying weapon.

Much as I wish he had more medals, the 13/14 disastrophe and the lost Champion's League Final / 97-points not being enough situation will have strengthened some of our lads even more.

Long may their Fire burn.
    nice lyrics

Oh and it isn't a Hendo/Fabinho thing, if it were Millie, Gini, Keita, Lallana, Oxlade or any other midfielder who had come into CM and helped to take our playing of the system to far higher levels, it'd be them i was talking about, all those mentioned absolutely did play a huge role in it too, through their participation it evolved into a more fluid midfield 3 interchanging position during games and covering each others position

What was most brilliant and also inredibly damning is that during Fabs absence, no matter which of all those midfielders had taken up the No6 position at any point of any of the games, they kept the right side of and in close attendance of the player who might otherwise be used for an opposition counter or the transition for the counter absolutely flawlessly, flawlessly and if you're reading the game, scanning the pitch checking positions as you should be and are a professional footballer it should be that easy

Matip, Keita & Thiago ruled out for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Matip, Keita & Thiago ruled out for this game.
    Shock

horror