Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Your team v Midtyjlland (Champion's League)

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    But that simply isn't true, that midfield were getting exposed on the counter through the press being broken time and time and time again later in the 18-19 season, that is the reason Henderson was brought back into the side at RCM so let's not have a revisionist approach to it, anyone want to tell me that Henderson wasn't brought back in for that reason and that happening wasn't the catalyst for our end of season run of back to back victories and winning the Champions League and everything that followed?
    They couldn't have been exposed that many times, we only lost one game that season.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Yeah and we wouldnt have lost that game!
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    They couldn't have been exposed that many times, we only lost one game that season.
    Yes, but that season was also the season Virgil had that incredible amount of one v ones he won successfully and never let anyone past him, last season he barely had any, which was my point about working with the 433 and making sure the press and counter press is as good or even better than in was in that 20 odd game run when Fab was out

On that point, the issues when the changes were made to that midfield were simple, it's not a huge leap for a CB to transcend to playing DM, for a CB to transcend to playing as a CM is a quantum leap. In the evolution of the side during that run, Henderson and whoever played with him changed that role, Henderson was operating as an out and out CM, using his experience of playing DM to drop in there when needed and his experience of playing further forward when needed and the others were all filling in and covering as the CM when needed, because they were all players who had vast experience of playing numerous midfield positions and left and right forward positions their entire careers.

In all fairness to Fab, he can't play as a CM that way, as a DM just sitting he is an excellent player, but to expect him to read it, interchange positions, orchestrate the press as a CM, never having played as a CM, given all the years of experience as actual midfielders that allowed those who played in that run to operate as they did to expect Fab to step in and be able to do that was simply ridiculous
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Even when hendo was at 6 over those 20 games you are always citing there were games where we were exposed and lucky to win.
    Shit happens

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Even when hendo was at 6 over those 20 games you are always citing there were games where we were exposed and lucky to win.
    Shit happens
    I absolutely wasn't! Now you're making stuff up, I never said we were lucky to win any of those games, someone will have to give me a specific game and instance of it, but I don't remember our press ever being broken in that run and in almost all of the games we restricted the opposition to virtually no possession in our half, no look at our CBs, no successful transitions and virtually no attempts on goal
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I absolutely wasn't! Now you're making stuff up, I never said we were lucky to win any of those games, someone will have to give me a specific game and instance of it, but I don't remember our press ever being broken in that run and in almost all of the games we restricted the opposition to virtually no possession in our half, no look at our CBs, no successful transitions and virtually no attempts on goal
    I never said you said we were lucky.