Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League table VAR applied correctly and honestly

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    They spent about 5 minutes trying to prove Mane was offside ,last night it was done and dusted with on frame show 1 line. To the viewer on TV it was very inconclusive .
    Yes, it was weird, but at the end of the day what does it matter if it's the right decision.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Yes, it was weird, but at the end of the day what does it matter if it's the right decision.
    But is it 100% the correct decision every time thats the biggest problem. A little different but last season I think it was Sheffield United had a ball over the line but the referees watch didn't buzz so we all thought it wasn't a goal. Then it turned out the technology wasn't switched on and a goal should've been given.
    So even with technology the correct decision isn't always made and I feel this season especially with us thats been the case.
    Saying all that we're still top of the league so no point dwelling on things but we could be in a even better position.

If Mane was offside by mm, no way Son one can be onside.

It is getting fishy, guess they do not want to repeat title holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Joetan991 View Post
    If Mane was offside by mm, no way Son one can be onside.

It is getting fishy, guess they do not want to repeat title holder.
    I don't Buy into that mate, I just find their inconsistency the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    It was actually onside - in terms of what should be the case - BUT in terms of how VAR was used to rule out Hendo’s goal v the BS it is offside.

I mean they can’t say Mané is off but Son is on. If Mané is off Son is more off surely...?

Exactly Steveo.
    Another poor decision by VAR for Son's goal. The VAR official froze the picture a frame too early. The ball was still in contact with the player's foot as it was on the halfway line, so why did VAR freeze it a foot before that? The answer is obvious. He wanted the goal to stand. By the next frame Son is a foot offside, not an armpit hair. That's why it looked offside in real time.
    Something smells fishy about these decisions.
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

That's an excellent point, justin. I thought about it too yesterday - it's extremely difficult to tell in which frame the ball leaves the attacker's foot though, as in a single frame it can move a long way and the picture won't be ultra high definition.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    That's an excellent point, justin. I thought about it too yesterday - it's extremely difficult to tell in which frame the ball leaves the attacker's foot though, as in a single frame it can move a long way and the picture won't be ultra high definition.
    That's been a major factor since its been brought in. When is the pass ? From when he first goes to pass or when the ball leaves the foot ? When we're talking mm's it makes all the difference.
    It always seems we're on the wrong side.

It's when the ball leaves the foot afaik.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    But is it 100% the correct decision every time thats the biggest problem. A little different but last season I think it was Sheffield United had a ball over the line but the referees watch didn't buzz so we all thought it wasn't a goal. Then it turned out the technology wasn't switched on and a goal should've been given.
    So even with technology the correct decision isn't always made and I feel this season especially with us thats been the case.
    Saying all that we're still top of the league so no point dwelling on things but we could be in a even better position.
    There's always going to be a level of abstraction between what really happened and what can be judged. You have the same with human-only refs. As long as we all agree on the single source of truth (and what mechanisms are in place to tests its accuracy), we're fine, even if that source of trutj sometimes fails as in the example you described.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

That's it. The ball leaving the foot is the issue. And it shows that two things happening at once is too complex for the system to cope with. We imagine the computer will do away with these problems and herald pure objectivity but we are still left with the frailty of human judgement.

I'd go back to a linesman's judgement any day. Remember they tried the 'benefit of the doubt to the attacking side'. That was an excellent way of moving things slightly in terms of the instruction to the linesman, improving the decisions slightly, without undermining the fairness of the game.

The fairness was, practically, that sometimes they'll get it wrong but at least we don't have to pretend the decision was pure objectivity.