Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League table VAR applied correctly and honestly

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Iirc in both 13/14 offside goal and 18/19 kompany red card, games v city and wrong calls in them were alleged to have robbed us of the title.
    In tight races wrong calls could be said to play a part between 2 or 3 best teams.

This season iirc in the game v arsenal in the pl Arsenal fans claimed Mane should have seen a red card. Can't remember the tackle too well so can't say whether it was a fair claim or not.

Were he sent off he misses 3 games. He scores v Everton and Sheffield united so how could you correct the table were he suspended.
    Same with a second yellow card tackle, a huge amount of unknowable and opinions as yellows can be dished out easily enough.

I think we can moan about decisions but the lads have to be that good that they seal the deal and make refs inconsequential.
    It's a tough task but that's the challenge for the best. Lucky for us the get on with it mostly and hopefully they start getting on it from the off.
    Having a team that couldn't defend stopped us in 2013-14, you can point to certain instances, but the bad defending was right through the season, and most of Rodgers time here. It's no coincidence we win the title after spending big on a world class keeper and defender.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    The best meaning gaining more points than the rest. You can get lucky over a few games, we were very lucky in all 3 cup finals in 2001. Yes bogus decisions can have an influence, but certainly not over the majority of games in a 38 game season. The league was always our priority and it still is, that's because you've proved to be the best over a long season. The best teams don't always win cups, but they always win the title.
    They don't have to have an influence over the majority of 38 games, sky. Just in one or two. When a league can be one by a point or by one unit of goal difference, that's all it takes.

And like I said, you can't define "best" as the team winning the league and then say the best team always wins the league. If you are using "best" to mean the same thing you explained in your first sentence, then the statement "the best teams win the title" is a meaningless tautology. That's why I think you're using the word in two different meanings.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    They don't have to have an influence over the majority of 38 games, sky. Just in one or two. When a league can be one by a point or by one unit of goal difference, that's all it takes.

And like I said, you can't define "best" as the team winning the league and then say the best team always wins the league. If you are using "best" to mean the same thing you explained in your first sentence, then the statement "the best teams win the title" is a meaningless tautology. That's why I think you're using the word in two different meanings.
    I don't really know what you're getting at. i know i have explained it best i can. I cannot put it any other way.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

If we win the league this season, and along the way we are helped by certain decisions from the officials, would it get a mention on here? No, is the answer, we were the best team overall and deserved it.

I don't really know what you're getting at. i know i have explained it best i can. I cannot put it any other way.
    I understand, sky - I'm merely disagreeing that decisions can't influence the outcome of leagues. I agree it's very unlikely, but don't think it impossible unlike you. It's not a huge distinction.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Hes just saying that what you are saying is circular.
    The best team wins the league = the team that wins the league wins the league = the best team is the best team

I agree with you it's impossible to fathom an unrealised reality, if Mane deserved red how do you judge us playing without him for the next 3 games.

But in a tight title race you can say that fine margins of chance/luck from refs can cost one team or another.

1 Liverpool P7 W6 D0 L1 GF18 GA14 GD4 PTS18
    3 Chelsea P7 W4 D2 L1 GF 17 GA9 GD5 PTS 14
    4 Arsenal P7 W4 D2 L1 GF11 GA7 GD2 PTS14
    7 Leicester P7 W4 D1 L2 GF17 GA10 GD7 PTS13
    8 Everton P7 W4 D0 L2 GF15 GA12 GD3 PTS12
    14 Man City P6 W2 D3 L1 GF 9 GA9 GD0 PTS9
    16 Man UTD P6 W2 D0 L4 GF9 GA14 GD-5 PTS6
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Still top

1 Liverpool P8 W6 D1 L1 GF19 GA15 GD4 PTS19
    3 Chelsea P8 W5 D2 L1 GF 21 GA10 GD5 PTS 17
    4 Leicester P8 W5 D1 L2 GF18 GA10 GD7 PTS16
    6 Arsenal P7 W4 D2 L1 GF11 GA7 GD2 PTS14
    8 Everton P8 W4 D0 L4 GF16 GA15 GD1 PTS12
    14 Man City P7 W2 D4 L1 GF 10 GA10 GD0 PTS10
    16 Man UTD P7 W3 D0 L4 GF12 GA15 GD-3 PTS9
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 8th November 2020 at 09:05 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Shock ....

VAR overturns (net score)

Everton +3
    Sheffield United +3
    Southampton +2
    Arsenal +1
    Aston Villa +1
    Leicester +1
    Man City +1
    Newcastle +1
    West Ham +1
    Burnley 0
    Crystal Palace 0
    Wolves 0
    Brighton -1
    Chelsea -1
    Leeds -1
    Man United -1
    West Brom -1
    Fulham -2
    Tottenham -3
    Liverpool -4

I mean it's wrong decisions ostensibly made correct. Nothing we should be complaining about.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non