Thread: My Fabinho hope

My Fabinho hope

I have really high hopes for Fabinho moving forward, he is doing a great job at CB, but i didn't expect anything else to be honest because he is a natural defender and a defender converted to DM

Virgil's injury is a big blow obviously and because of the volume of games and our only having 3 CBs at least until January with Matip suffering from persistent niggling injuries, it seems apparent Fab will be playing CB at least until January

After that all being well, we add a new CB and Fab can play some games at DCM with Hendo and Thiago either side of him as i believe this could play a vital part in his evolution as a player and in completing his transformation into a midfielder

It's well known i have my issues with Fab at CM, but deployed at DCM only for a run of games with Hendo and Thiago either side of him and being detailed to hold that position and take his part in the press off them always making sure he has 'that player' who is trying to play between the lines as he does so expertly stepping forward from defence to deal with them, it will help form a natural evolution of honing his acute ability to do that from CB, his natural position, to him being able to read the game better and play the press better and do that with the same consistency, awareness and astuteness as a midfielder, as the conversion of his ability to do that at CB into him doing that at CM simply hasn't materialised yet

Like all our other players i'd like to see him a lot more involved and communicative both verbally and visually in organising and orchestrating the press and counter press and think the best way for him to do that and finally master it is in that DCM midfield role, giving extra protection to our CBs, dropping in a a third CB when necessary and as the second CB when either of our 2 CBs drives the ball forward when play opens up for them to do so

I have incredibly high hopes a spell with Fab operating like this and learning and seeing it all in front of him from a central position and the perspective of a CBonly a little further forward and without the distraction of feeling he needs to get involved in our play as an attacker will help bring about an incredible evolution in his game. We can think about him becoming involved in attacks and the rest from a CM position when his primary duties as a defender and in the press and not ever letting it being broken are well and truly honed as they have yet to be

We all have to learn to crawl before we can walk and to walk before we can run and we have to remember Fab is a defender converted to DCM who was then asked t play CM in a very short space of time, too quickly in my opinion and more time as an out and out DCM is absolutely needed to aid his
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I hope he's not out for too long

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I hope he's not out for too long
    The 19x kiss of death.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    The 19x kiss of death.
    Move on or be blessed with the kiss of death
    I came to the place with nothing but words and took away your breath
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 27th October 2020 at 11:48 PM.

let's hope it's weeks not months