• Guardiola says forward is one of best players he has worked with
  • Sterling has started every game in Premier League and Europe

Pep Guardiola is adamant he will not rest Raheem Sterling against his former club on Sunday. “He will be there again,” said Manchester City’s manager as he prepared for Liverpool’s visit. “There will be a moment when he takes a rest but he is so important for us. That is why we cannot [leave him out]. He is an exceptional player. With his physicality he plays all the minutes. He is one of the most fantastic players I ever had in my career.”
After departing Anfield in 2015, reunions with Liverpool have proved emotionally fraught for Sterling but Guardiola hopes the England forward will remind his old club of the immense potential they lost. “He is a better player than when he arrived,” said Guardiola “He’s exceptional. I am pretty sure of his mentality and desire to win and improve a lot. He deserves a lot. I wish in three, four, five years he will be a much, much better player than he is today.
Related: Raheem Sterling will keep on running for City despite Liverpool trauma | Barney Ronay
Continue reading...

More...