Page 127 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2777117120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134137 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1696

Thread: January 2021

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    I really hope Upamecano isn’t a target he looks clumsy to me.
    Let's just say he is athletically built.
    He is good in the air and quite quick. Different centre backs suit different systems.

Looked culpable for a few goals and chances for the opposition when I’ve seen him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Kaide Gordon set to join Liverpool from Derby in a deal that could reach £3m; Manchester United were also tracking 16-year-old forward, who can play out wide or through the middle; Gordon expected to link up with Liverpool's academy side

Get in!

after all we are 5th in the "money league"
    Makes a lot of sense this one.

Brexit will have scuppered our plans to keep hoovering up young European talent that we -

1. Keep if they develop well enough, saving us millions by not buying the developed player at £40m or whatever.
    2. Sell at a profit having developed them if they aren't QUITE good enough - Ibe, Solanke and Brewster sales brought in an amount of money equivalent to more than the cost of Jota, or the larger half of the combined transfer cost of Mane and Salah.

- and if it doesn't work out, the loss is minimal.

So if we can't get the foreign talent, acquiring British talent (and getting them into the set-up for the 3 years to count as home-grown for those that don't already) makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Makes a lot of sense this one.

Brexit will have scuppered our plans to keep hoovering up young European talent that we -

1. Keep if they develop well enough, saving us millions by not buying the developed player at £40m or whatever.
    2. Sell at a profit having developed them if they aren't QUITE good enough - Ibe, Solanke and Brewster sales brought in an amount of money equivalent to more than the cost of Jota, or the larger half of the combined transfer cost of Mane and Salah.

- and if it doesn't work out, the loss is minimal.

So if we can't get the foreign talent, acquiring British talent (and getting them into the set-up for the 3 years to count as home-grown for those that don't already) makes sense.
    Can you recall our foreign youth players who made an impact or were sold for a big fee ?

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Matt Targett wouldn't even be a viable target for us given our owners reluctance to part with some reddies.
    I read Brighton are a quarter of a billion in debt, maybe we could bail them out and buy a centre back

Looks like no busy for us again!. guess the owners know what they are doing.. which is to save themselves paying anything out.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Can you recall our foreign youth players who made an impact or were sold for a big fee ?
    Too early with some of them - but that is the logic - and it doesn't even need to be a "big" fee.

If you buy someone like Sepp Van den Berg for the £1.3m or so I think we bought him for and his development goes well, you maybe sell him for £10m further down the line, or have him as a fourth-choice centre-back or whatever.

If it doesn't work out, the loss is minimal, versus (picking a player I actually really like here) something like buying Keita for £54m or whatever it was who will never have that value again.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Too early with some of them - but that is the logic - and it doesn't even need to be a "big" fee.

If you buy someone like Sepp Van den Berg for the £1.3m or so I think we bought him for and his development goes well, you maybe sell him for £10m further down the line, or have him as a fourth-choice centre-back or whatever.

If it doesn't work out, the loss is minimal, versus (picking a player I actually really like here) something like buying Keita for £54m or whatever it was who will never have that value again.
    I can think of suso who we sold for 1.3 mill & ki-hoever for 9.8mill up against a fair few from the isles.

In our current ranks trent, jones, kelleher, neco, williams, elliot.

Sterling, rossiter, coady, branagan, smith, kent, sinclair, ince in addition to Brewster, ibe and Solanke.

Looking at our under 23 squad I'm not sure Brexit will have too much of an impact, most it seems are from the UK.
    Also not sure it's that wise taking kids from different cultures at younger ages.

Not worked out for naby here yet, tis a pity. But that's just the risk of buying highly rated first team ready players.
    Last edited by CCTV; 27th January 2021 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post

Not worked out for naby here yet, tis a pity. But that's just the risk of buying highly rated first team ready players.
    Its ok we keep buying 16 year olds.. so maybe in 5 years they will make the grade if not can always make a minimal profit on them..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Its ok we keep buying 16 year olds.. so maybe in 5 years they will make the grade if not can always make a minimal profit on them..

Of the 8 under 23s to leave permanently this summer we raised 11.2 million euro.

Harvey Elliot seems to be doing well on loan, hope he might make it here soon enough. 4 goals & 8 assists in 20games in the championship.