Page 105 of 170 FirstFirst ... 555959899100101102103104105106107108109110111112115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1696

Thread: January 2021

I never have and never will subscribe to the claim that net spend has no relevance.
    It is in fact the only figure that has any relevance. If you have to sell to buy, you are at a great disadvantage to the likes of City, Chelsea and Utd.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    We’ll agree to disagree.

Ajax is a poor example they have sold LOADS of players over the last few years and some for big fees so they do have some cash.

We aren’t competing with Man City financially and their creative accounting allegedly, you can say we are tight but you are asking one man to go toe to toe with a countries wealth as that is the reality.

I am mentioning 3 creative midfielders we have now what else do you want me to say ...Fabinho cost close to £40m too.
    WE have sold loads of players for big fees, so we should also have some cash to spend.

No I'm not asking us to spend money in a similar fashion to a club with bottomless pockets. I'm asking us to spend amounts commensurate with the revenue that WE make, the status of OUR club/team, and the manager WE currently have in charge.

You mentioned a number of players that happened to have cost a load of money in a vain attempts to make out that our owners have 'spent' loads and have adequately backed our manager. They have not done either of those two things.

Look we are just going round in circles here you dont like FSG fair enough, you can moan all you like they wont change as this is their model.

You said they arent backing Klopp so I have named the midfielders he has signed Thiago Keita Ox Fabinho Gini he has also signed a few cheapo players too like Grujic Shaqiri.

Im going to leave it at that as its a waste of my time.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I never have and never will subscribe to the claim that net spend has no relevance.
    It is in fact the only figure that has any relevance. If you have to sell to buy, you are at a great disadvantage to the likes of City, Chelsea and Utd.
    Yes... imagine if we got some transfers wrong like benteke/carroll we'd be stuffed, no way would we have won a title and champions league!!!

We've pretty much got it spot on with the big signings apart from 1 or 2- but what happens when we don't ? what happens when the team age more and players still not been sold?

For this reason sadly I don't think we'll stay at the top, I hope i'm wrong, it's the best chance to build on something the last couple of seasons, I find it very very very dissapointing that we can't seem to get a CB even with the problems we have, or spend any money.

we'll go backwards, it's disgusting and a complete lack of ambition, if that's how you roll you need to sell up to be honest while we're still towards the top..for their own benefit and ours

Can't keep expecting miracles from Klopp & to carry on how we are I think in the summer we'll be able to afford a CB and possibly a attacking option/replacement for Wij if we clear out all the injury prone players & players on loan if we're lucky- then we won't have anyone else to sell in the future mind, while chelsea utd and city will be spending 100m+ in future windows without having to sell anyone, not to mention they've also got a lot of players out on loan or squad players they could sell.

just a matter of time how it is at the moment

(To be fair we probably won't need a replacement for wij unless we get rid of ox/keita) as you'd hope we'll actually buy a CB and fabinho can go back to midfield then again milner is going to go at some point too, if we had the money it would be ace to find another class midfielder, thiago/hendo/fab+ another top midfielder then a few squad options like Ox/keita.. but yeah never going to happen broke init, same with a actual striker who scores goals as another option
    Last edited by Kev0909; 15th January 2021 at 03:23 PM.

So what you're saying Kev is that in 6 or 7 years time we're not goin to make any signings and have a team full of 35 year olds...

Can't see it myself.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Yes... imagine if we got some transfers wrong like benteke/carroll we'd be stuffed, no way would we have won a title and champions league!!!

We've pretty much got it spot on with the big signings apart from 1 or 2- but what happens when we don't ? what happens when the team age more and players still not been sold?

For this reason sadly I don't think we'll stay at the top, I hope i'm wrong, it's the best chance to build on something the last couple of seasons, I find it very very very dissapointing that we can't seem to get a CB even with the problems we have, or spend any money.

we'll go backwards, it's disgusting and a complete lack of ambition, if that's how you roll you need to sell up to be honest while we're still towards the top..for their own benefit and ours

Can't keep expecting miracles from Klopp & to carry on how we are I think in the summer we'll be able to afford a CB and possibly a attacking option/replacement for Wij if we clear out all the injury prone players & players on loan if we're lucky- then we won't have anyone else to sell in the future mind, while chelsea utd and city will be spending 100m+ in future windows without having to sell anyone, not to mention they've also got a lot of players out on loan or squad players they could sell.

just a matter of time how it is at the moment

(To be fair we probably won't need a replacement for wij unless we get rid of ox/keita) as you'd hope we'll actually buy a CB and fabinho can go back to midfield then again milner is going to go at some point too, if we had the money it would be ace to find another class midfielder, thiago/hendo/fab+ another top midfielder then a few squad options like Ox/keita.. but yeah never going to happen broke init, same with a actual striker who scores goals as another option
    Luckily Klopp has a good record in the transfer market, so for as long as he's here i'm not too concerned about the players he brings in. Rodgers was mediocre with his signings and so was Dalglish in his 2nd stint. That's why i want to see the back of Guardiola at City, he is the main reason for their success, not his players.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Last 3 managers since Mansour took over and sacked Mark Hughes in December 2009.

Mancini - 191 games
    1x League title
    1x FA Cup

Pellegrini - 167 games
    1x League title
    2x League Cups

Guardiola - 260 games
    2x League title
    1x FA Cup
    3x League Cups

I would suggest that injecting huge cash to buy a decent first 11 and then continually adding more and more quality to the squad is as likely a culprit as any..

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Luckily Klopp has a good record in the transfer market, so for as long as he's here i'm not too concerned about the players he brings in. Rodgers was mediocre with his signings and so was Dalglish in his 2nd stint. That's why i want to see the back of Guardiola at City, he is the main reason for their success, not his players.
    Yes I agree

Going to be fun if they end up replacing Aguero with Haaland- that's the thing they can afford him, or mbappe

Of course having wads of money helps, but you still need to buy the right players, something both Klopp and Guardiola do well. Rodgers wasn't a pauper in the transfer market and look at how much money he wasted. Some decent, but in the main he had a poor record.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

looking back at Rodgers signings..Cant think of anyone that was outstanding? I was never a massive fan of Lallana..Lovren was as average defender. Mignolet and Moreno were poor. Joe allen (wtf?) Markovic? Benteke? etc
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century