Page 11 of 170 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617182161111 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2021

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Djimi Traore won a Champions League winners medal, no one so crap has ever done that.

Mbappe is undoubtedly a fantastic talent, not denying that, just saying he is ultra hyped. He’s only played in the French League and for the last 12 months Mbappe has shown little when playing against better players in the Champions League (stat from BT was no goals in a year) Sure it’s just a blip in his development, just saying Haaland looks to be ahead of him for me but unfortunately he is unlikely to ever get the opportunity to score in a World Cup Final, that doesn’t make him a lesser player.
    I actually agree with you overall. I don't like how much weight can get placed on "moments".

Joe Cole's long-range against Sweden didn't make him a generational English talent etc. etc.

However things of these Nature are undeniably a component in the narrative. Again, rightly or wrongly.

Haaland's goal contribution is higher, with less minutes needed per goal scored and he is doing it in a tougher League. So I'm with you in that Haaland is (currently) the more potent talent. I'd also add that Haaland has named a list of strikers that he views as being better than he is, whereas Mbappe I think was quoted as saying he felt he was better than Messi, though I will be Googling that to ensure it isn't one of those things my Brain has made up.

What will be interesting is the longevity. Some players burn too bright for a short time (Ronaldinho) while others do it for a prolonged period (Messi, Ronaldo) and you'd always want the player who does it for longer.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I'm not sure looking at the wages per game is a valid way of calculating best value but I know why people do it

Both Ox and Matip played key roles in winning the league, CL, and getting to another CL final. And setting a load of club records. That has to be worth something. That's why we have a squad

I'm not ready to write Minamino off.
    Agree - just did the side by side as was asked for a comparison and it is interesting to see. Only used initially to highlight actual cost verses perception.

Also agree on the key roles - would very much add Origi and even Shaq ( to a lesser degree ) in there too. Key roles but all sadly have played too few games. Dependability.

Wouldn’t write off Minamino as a player at all - but in nigh on a year with us he has barely featured. I was shocked when he didn’t start on Wednesday.

Origi's been worth every penny with the two goals v Barca alone. Not to mention the fact that Everton fans scare their kids with stories about him.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Origi will always be a club legend. Maybe that is part of the problem for him now.

Barcelona's players have agreed to wage cuts that will save the Spanish club 122m euros (£110m).

The 26-time La Liga champions have also agreed with their players to have about €50m (£45m) of variable payments deferred over a three-year period.

Their last accounts showed a 97m euros (£87m) loss while the net debt more than doubled to 488m euros (£438m).

Don't think they're getting salah or mane any time soon

Cheeky bid for Fati?

no wonder they're after wij on a free

Thanks for the coutinho money <3

Cheeky bid for Fati! Let's go!

Fair play to the players though - Barca are in deep shite. Good to see them sacrifice something voluntarily, even if I truly dislike Barcelona.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

You look at their squad and Fati is really the only player I would want.

Hopefully their current form keeps up and Koeman is sacked by January and Wijnaldum stays

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    You look at their squad and Fati is really the only player I would want.

Hopefully their current form keeps up and Koeman is sacked by January and Wijnaldum stays
    there's another young lad who looks decent called Pedri but apart from that I agree

Two CB's please, one of whom can also play at RB
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Surely not....

Real Madrid's priority is to sign 21-year-old Paris St-Germain and France forward Kylian Mbappe in 2021 before trying to bring in Norway striker Erling Braut Haaland, 20, from Borussia Dortmund in 2022. (AS)

Both???