Page 111 of 170 FirstFirst ... 1161101104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1696

Thread: January 2021

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    I once watched every televised game that I could, whoever was playing, regardless of the competition. I now only watch our games and that’s becoming tiresome. No fans and VAR results in such a sterile experience.
    Having no fans doesn't spoil my viewing, you get some awful games when there's a full house. I didn't want VAR, and still don't, whether decisions go our way or not.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Mohamed Salah has pledged his long-term commitment to Liverpool by saying he wants to stay at Anfield for as long as he can.

Probably just means his Mother In Law has come to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Mohamed Salah has pledged his long-term commitment to Liverpool by saying he wants to stay at Anfield for as long as he can.
    He may not have as much say in that as he thinks if he doesn't find his shooting boots sooner rather than later. FSG will look to cash in on him, especially if Covid becomes much less of an issue in the not too distant future.

Makes you wonder if that is what he really wants or is just saying it.

Barca have no chance they are skint Madrid are a different thing altogether.

Basically his options imo are Madrid or PSG if he leaves.

Gini is pretty much gone and as harsh as it is we may have to get younger blood in.

Going in the summer then.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

If anyone wants to go, you know where the door is.. Gini as been offered a 2 year contract the money is not the issue.. if hes not happy. Then go.. And thanks for your time here.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Gini is pretty much gone and as harsh as it is we may have to get younger blood in.
    That's perfectly reasonable. With luck we can find that magic combination of relative Youth (22-25) and quality whilst being a good fit for the system.

There are areas of the squad that need work but it's facelift and tummy tuck stuff, not a liver transplant. Won't happen as quickly as we would like as we may struggle to move a couple on but we will no doubt find solutions in the next couple of windows.

Defensively we know we need a long-term replacement for Matip. We also will want another centre-back, whether it's an acquisition, promotion from within or acceptance that Fabinho has a new role.

In midfield we know that Milner has this season and poooossibly next with us left, with Shaq/Ox/Keita having injury records, plus Wijnaldum will leave.

Suspect our options long-term there will be something like Henderson, Thiago, Wijnaldum replacement, Ox, Jones and Shaq/Keita/Milner replacement. Keita will stay if he somehow gets fit and stays fit, but we won't keep a sick-note forever if we can avoid it and Ox is the "safest" of the sick-note lads due to his nationality. Ideally due to the reduction in wages when a couple depart this Summer/next (Milner, Wijnaldum, maybe Shaq or Keita) that our Wijnaldum replacement and Shaq/Keita/Milner replacement can be a decent enough player from a wages perspective as a lot will have been freed up. Six positions, three slots.

In attack for 21/22 you would think it will be something like Salah, Mane, Firmino, Jota, Elliott and "Origi replacement", if Origi moves on. Ideally Origi replacement is a pretty damn good player so that rotation/horses for courses is a more readily available option, or is a player that is on the cusp of reaching new heights (Salah and Mane were highly thought of when they joined us, but weren't yet in the truly "elite" bracket) within a decent timeframe.

People note I have not mentioned Minamino - he hopefully becomes the "utility" who can do a 7/10 job in midfield or attack when called upon.

So that's something like -

1. Centre-back in with Matip kept for the time-being, or two centre-backs in with a departure of Matip.

2. Wijnaldum, Milner and Shaq/Keita out. Good midfielder in, Jones gets more game time. Possible midfield addition being scouted for.

3. Origi moves on. A (good) attacker comes in. Jota gets game time. Elliott in squad. Scouting to replace one of Salah/Firmino/Mane so they don't all need replaced at the same time around 23/24.

The above looks very manageable over the course of 2-5 windows as a minimum and could also be done with a respectable but not bank-breaking amount of spending. Not needing done all at once. Just as a rough guide.

Ideally one or two could be "bargain" jobs, further enabling a big spend on the "right" player. The fascinating bit to monitor for me will be the wages side as it only takes a couple of departures to buy some flexibility. As much as I love Milner for example, he is not currently giving us what his wages merit, through not being first-choice and through time catching up on him a bit. So when the sad day comes where he leaves, I'm sure we can make reasonable use of those weekly funds.

Apparently FSG have come out and said that as a result of the 'current situation' they are taking any contract talks 'very slowly'.

I knew it wouldn't be long before they publicly came out and used Covid to justify why they are tight as ****, and possibly why one or two players (possibly first XI players) end up either not signing new contracts, or end up being sold.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Apparently FSG have come out and said that as a result of the 'current situation' they are taking any contract talks 'very slowly'.

I knew it wouldn't be long before they publicly came out and used Covid to justify why they are tight as ****, and possibly why one or two players (possibly first XI players) end up either not signing new contracts, or end up being sold.
    Did they? That's giní gone so even though the manager wants him tied down. Support the manager with what he wants. Success rarely follow sif you don't.

With salah coming out and saying I want to stay, it's in the clubs hands, its almost a thinly veils threat, give me the money or else. Or am I reading into it too much?