Page 113 of 170 FirstFirst ... 1363103106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1696

Thread: January 2021

Sorry to say but Keita who I had high hopes for, just let him leave. he is never going to be a regular for us.
    Origi too, legend. But for his own sake to get game time, move on.
    Shaq for me could stay. i think he still has a lot to offer. he suits our style of play and can unlock a defence.
    My wish list for summer, or January....Schuurs, Neto, Ben White.

Neto and Haaland if Mo goes.

Doubt he will though..

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    If anyone wants to go, you know where the door is.. Gini as been offered a 2 year contract the money is not the issue.. if hes not happy. Then go.. And thanks for your time here.
    Easy to say it if we don't replace him. Replacing players is very hard. In fairness we have done well in the last few years, but if the purse strings aren't opened then replacing him will be very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Replacing players is very hard. In fairness we have done well in the last few years, but if the purse strings aren't opened then replacing him will be very difficult.
    Provided we maintain our Champion's League position (and particularly if we go deep in the Tournament this season) there will be opportunities.

Also wages coming off the bill opens doors. Someone like Milner (who has been a consummate professional, nothing bad to say about him) who is in the Winter of his career in terms of being able to make a meaningful difference to us in a season on the pitch coming off the bill is an incremental gain that isn't to be ignored - we pay him about £7m a year - that's £35m over a 5-year period, almost half a Van Dijk.

Considering how many players are paid off in instalments (Van Dijk wasn't a lump sum to Southampton, it was three x £25m instalments) over the course of a few seasons, the capacity to "find" money like that isn't something you overlook - and that's before we delve into revenue and so on.

Provided the right option is available, we'll sign a centre-back in the Summer with a view to being a long-term Matip replacement. Doubt it will be the only transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Provided we maintain our Champion's League position (and particularly if we go deep in the Tournament this season) there will be opportunities.

Also wages coming off the bill opens doors. Someone like Milner (who has been a consummate professional, nothing bad to say about him) who is in the Winter of his career in terms of being able to make a meaningful difference to us in a season on the pitch coming off the bill is an incremental gain that isn't to be ignored - we pay him about £7m a year - that's £35m over a 5-year period, almost half a Van Dijk.

Considering how many players are paid off in instalments (Van Dijk wasn't a lump sum to Southampton, it was three x £25m instalments) over the course of a few seasons, the capacity to "find" money like that isn't something you overlook - and that's before we delve into revenue and so on.

Provided the right option is available, we'll sign a centre-back in the Summer with a view to being a long-term Matip replacement. Doubt it will be the only transfer.
    That sounds great, it's the implementation. We have been good last few years. With covid and soundbites from the club, there is no guarantee we will make big money signings (although big money may not be necessary)

My issue with giní is that the manager wants him to stay.obviously sees him as integral but the money men are refusing. I'm hoping they are telling klopp that of he goes then he has the chnace to replace him without having to raise cash from player sales.

I understand the concern, especially as it is just that, as opposed to panic. Nothing wrong with constructive and measured critique of how things might pan out, much as someone like me believes in the process.

I can imagine us going for someone like Yves Bissouma as a Wijnaldum replacement. We might be able to get him for £25m-£30m or so and potentially pay out in instalments with the money that we "find" when some of the likes of Wijnaldum/Milner/Origi depart the club.

Hopefully through relative "success" on the pitch (Top Four/higher finishes, deep runs in Europe) in terms of the financial side of things, we generate more funds which we can use for other transfers too. FSG's model would have us be self-sufficient and so long as the various cogs in the Machine are working I'm okay with that - Klopp an excellent Manager, Edwards a brilliant negotiator and so on.

Thankfully we need tweaks, not major surgery. Ideally we can buy 1 or 2 good players at the end of each season where needed. Thiago and Jota should prove to be excellent signings in the long-term for example.

One thing that kept 'purple nose' and his minions on top for so long was his ability/him being allowed to 'refresh' the team/squad year after year. We need to do the same, especially given the way that Klopp plays. The fact that FSG are not allowing him to do that is one of, if not the main reason why we are currently struggling and are looking like Dortmund were at the end of Klopp's time with them.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    The fact that FSG are not allowing him to do that is one of, if not the main reason why we are currently struggling and are looking like Dortmund were at the end of Klopp's time with them.
    Worth weighing up of course, though to be fair Thiago and Jota came in and we wouldn't have anticipated such rotten luck when it comes to Van Dijk/Gomez/Matip/Jota/Thiago - the extent of (lack of) availability for all of those happening in the one season and the overlap is fairly unusual.

Plus when it comes to Dortmund's last season, they were in the relegation zone up until....I believe the 18th game, but can't find a link to the 2014/15 table where I can customise it, whereas we are "4" points off top (I'm assuming City win their match in hand) so the situation isn't as dire for us.

Not to mention that our stats guys analysed the metrics of Dortmund's last season (NY Times article about it somewhere) and Dortmund "should" have finished second, rather than seventh, which further highlights the anomaly.

With luck we're an increasingly resilient defence and a couple of converted chances away from grinding out a few results and keeping the distance between us and top relatively small - then can build from there. Don't think our wobble is over yet, but I don't personally foresee a half-season of rot like Dortmund had to face.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Worth weighing up of course, though to be fair Thiago and Jota came in and we wouldn't have anticipated such rotten luck when it comes to Van Dijk/Gomez/Matip/Jota/Thiago - the extent of (lack of) availability for all of those happening in the one season and the overlap is fairly unusual.

Plus when it comes to Dortmund's last season, they were in the relegation zone up until....I believe the 18th game, but can't find a link to the 2014/15 table where I can customise it, whereas we are "4" points off top (I'm assuming City win their match in hand) so the situation isn't as dire for us.

Not to mention that our stats guys analysed the metrics of Dortmund's last season (NY Times article about it somewhere) and Dortmund "should" have finished second, rather than seventh, which further highlights the anomaly.

With luck we're an increasingly resilient defence and a couple of converted chances away from grinding out a few results and keeping the distance between us and top relatively small - then can build from there. Don't think our wobble is over yet, but I don't personally foresee a half-season of rot like Dortmund had to face.
    Thiago and Jota came in, but we've sold/let ago a fair few players who have not been replaced, which offsets that a bit, never mind that we could be losing a few more players very soon through a combination of coming to the natural end of their time with us, the running down of contracts, or being sold. At very best you could say that means we are/will be standing still, and at worst means we're going backwards.

Our situation may not be as dire as Dortmund's, but issues that affected them now look to be doing the same to us. Our decline may not be as dramatic, but it could end up having a big and long lasting impact. In terms of 'metrics', as always I prefer to use my eyes rather than just a bunch of numbers which can be manipulated/interpreted in numerous ways.

Unlike like last season we currently don't look like we can grind out wins. Whereas last season you always felt that there was enough time and quality for us to get the goal that we needed, this season you can often tell very quickly what kind of game we're going to have, which as of late has revolved around a "we don't look like we could score if we played until ....." view of things.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Neto and Haaland if Mo goes.

Doubt he will though..
    I'd be very surprised if any of our front three leave at the end of the season.

Clubs have less money due to Covid and we won't let ourselves lose a top player for small change - if they're tied down contractually that is.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that we'll bring in a £30m-£70m attacker in the next couple of seasons in preparation of one of the front three going, with another "elite" attacker coming in the following season should we manage to sell one of them for a price that suits us - we won't want all three to hit the 33-34 age bracket and all need replaced at once, so a sale (at a fair price) of at least one needs to happen at the end of 21/22 for me.