Page 17 of 170 FirstFirst ... 71011121314151617181920212223242767117 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    The question is who'd buy them at the price we'd want. I can't see us selling more than one of them (at most) in January.
    Well if we really want to buy Johnny Forn'er then we'll be prepared to do a cut price sale.

We weren't too successful selling Wilson, Grujic et al in the summer. Adrian released on a free would save us messing around needing to sell before we can buy.

Well we got £20m for Solanke so I would have thought it possible to get at least the same for someone who actually has scored goals at the highest level and in the biggest possible games.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Well we got £20m for Solanke so I would have thought it possible to get at least the same for someone who actually has scored goals at the highest level and in the biggest possible games.
    Maybe after struggling to shift the ones we wanted out the days if that kind of deal (Solanke,Ibe) may be over? Might be just covid related of course. I dont see why Origi wouldn't go for 20m though, hes got pedigree despite looking like a lazy bum of late. He'd score goals in the right team as an out and CF.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    That was before COVID and he was younger and English.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Div’s 25 and coming into his peak. He has quite a goals reel at the very highest level, Solanke had nothing but potential.
    Covid has changed the market somewhat but I still think there’s value in big Div at £20m.

Will need Div to hit a few goals in the coming months I feel. That is why Klopp played him the other night I am certain - but it shows we are again selling to buy.

When we signed Jota that pretty much ended Origis career with us.he may get sometime here and there in the next few weeks due to injury. But when everyones fit hes not gonna get into the squad on match days never mind the first 11.
    So may as well cash in and lets hope we can get a good deal for him
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

I'm not sure anyone will pay 20m for Big Div this January miller. He's been shite for us recently and he wasn't that highly sought after in the first place.
    Mate we got £19m for Solanke !

I think we will get around £20m for him he is still young only 24-25, scored in CL semi and final and used to playing for a club where pressure is on.

Origi is a good player he needs to play as a central striker in a team that suits him once he does that he can have a decent career someone like Wolves,Leeds might look at him.

We got £20m ish for Brewster too

I'm not sure anyone will pay 20m for Big Div this January miller. He's been shite for us recently and he wasn't that highly sought after in the first place.
    You could say the same thing about Jota before he joined us (at least the "not highly sought after" part and not the "shite" part)

He wasn't even that highly regarded by Wolves fans, and in that team he was below on the pecking order after the likes of Traore and Jimenez - who, once again were and are the names typically bandied about when you talk of Wolves players who could go to better teams.

Even Jota himself pretty much admitted when he was asked about how his scoring has picked up so much since joining us, that the system at Wolves didn't suit his style of play and he's never played in a team as good as Liverpool (who's system suits him perfectly, obviously).

Our style (under Klopp) has never suited Origi, and not since the Brendan days has he had great output (and a little bit leaking into Klopp's first year when he still hadn't established his DNA and style on the team and they were still playing a hybrid system with some of Brendan's tactics). We don't play the "Number 9 Forward with his back to the goal holding play for others to come up with him" style that suits the Origi type forward or a forward like Benteke before him. That's why Bobby's role is so different from a traditional number 9 and why he's output is relatively and comparatively less (and also why he gets so much stick from fans). But he fits in Klopp's system because Klopp gets his goals from elsewhere in the forward line and mid-field.
    Origi just always looks lost unless we're playing the "Hoof-it-up" and "let him chase after it" strategy which we don't do a lot of (and which also allows him to switch off from tracking back of defending from the front by high-pressing the opposing team's defenders).

There are teams in the league though, who do play the "Hoof-it-up" Longball style system (this is England after all), and in whose system he'd fit perfectly.

With the injuries ravaging teams right now (not just us), I really wouldn't be surprised if a team matches our valuation of him and comes with a bid in January to help tide them over. I mean, Wolves, LITERALLY just lost their starting striker probably for the foreseeable future....sooo.....there's an example of a team in whose system he'd fit playing off of Traore's runs and who would conceivably see it as good business buying a player from us for 20 million (who fits in their system) after having sold us one in the summer for 45 million (who didn't quite fit). Easy to justify to the shareholders and the fans. And let's be honest here, 20 Million for a striker or a forward in the Premier league - especially for one who's played in the Premier league - is a bargain. Especially with how teams love to overcharge for Premier league players. For us it would be a nice decent 10 million profit for a player that gave us good times, leaves us some great memories but for whom its probably time for him to move on and against whom I wouldn't bear any ill feelings towards.

It might even be worth it to do a half-and-half deal (loan until the end of the season with an option to buy him outright in the Summer) to help get his wages off our books, get him some playing time elsewhere before the Euros next year, and possibly reap a nice tidy profit in the summer.
    Last edited by Crimson Dynasty; 2nd December 2020 at 07:06 PM.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!