Page 22 of 170 FirstFirst ... 121516171819202122232425262728293272122 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2021

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    That is correct I think its fair to say he is out for the season going by usual recovery time.

I wouldnt sell Shaq he is a useful sub but can see someone like Wolves/Leeds looking at Origi
    Still harsh to bin him, don't think Klopp would do that.

Yes, I can see other clubs looking at Origi but will they actually buy him?

I think there will be potential buyers, but not for a good price.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I never got the hype over Pogba,All this stuff surrounding him. is to hide the fact hes garbage
    There's clearly talent there in certain areas of the game - has a very natural way of passing the ball and good range. Also his height means, as the pundits like to say, "he's an athlete" so he flatters to deceive. He has had enough "moments" for people to know that if he actually applied himself he could be a great player. But he doesn't have work ethic / drive to self-improve of the likes of Henderson.

It's somewhere between the Balotelli and Ozil situations for me. Ozil is a VERY gifted player, we saw him show that in the World Cup for Germany before Real Madrid went for him and we saw it with Madrid. Not "a runner" and as his career has gone on his attitude has been poor. But definitely talented. Then you get players like Balotelli who, on appearance at least, have "everything" for their role - Balotelli can shift (see his second goal against Germany in that Euro semi against Germany) and can (accurately) twat a ball, plus has the height/build of someone like Lewandowski, along with a good first touch - ON PAPER he has "everything" a striker in his mould should but unlike Ozil's peak, didn't show it anywhere near often enough.

Pogba is somewhere in-between the two. I don't rate him at all as a player, in just the same way I wouldn't rate Ozil (current version) or Balotelli (most of his career) because they lack the ethic of a Henderson, professionalism of a Milner or the consistency of a Wijnaldum. How I try to think of it is whether or not someone like Pogba or Balotelli would be a very good player if they had minds similar to those of the lads above us and to be fair to Pogba's natural talent if he truly applied himself I definitely think there's a decent player there.

Thankfully (for the likes of ourselves) a bit of natural talent is nowhere near enough to make a player. Takes drive and also takes (the right kind of) confidence. Look at someone like Torres. I appreciate the weight of his transfer fee to Chelsea was huge and injuries robbed him of much of what made him great, but a player with a different mind on them would still find ways to be really effective. Torres couldn't, though nobody would say he wasn't World Class in his day.

Pogba and his situation do make for a lot of point-and-laugh for us though. Which is the important thing

Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    The back of Shaq?
    29, injured a lot, is one obstacle in the path of someone like Elliott (who isn't ready yet of course, but you'd fancy will be in a couple of years) and is on a reasonable wedge (think it's £80,000 a week, can't remember) so in terms of value and FSG/Edwards being the way they are, it wouldn't be a huge surprise if he departed at the end of the season. That's half the wages of a top forward or most (maybe all) of the wages of a new, young centre-back or wages for someone central who is fitter than Ox or Keita when Milner eventually departs.

You're bang on the nail Sid, £80,000...

https://www.sportekz.com/football/liverpool-players-salaries/
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    There's clearly talent there in certain areas of the game - has a very natural way of passing the ball and good range. Also his height means, as the pundits like to say, "he's an athlete" so he flatters to deceive. He has had enough "moments" for people to know that if he actually applied himself he could be a great player. But he doesn't have work ethic / drive to self-improve of the likes of Henderson.

It's somewhere between the Balotelli and Ozil situations for me. Ozil is a VERY gifted player, we saw him show that in the World Cup for Germany before Real Madrid went for him and we saw it with Madrid. Not "a runner" and as his career has gone on his attitude has been poor. But definitely talented. Then you get players like Balotelli who, on appearance at least, have "everything" for their role - Balotelli can shift (see his second goal against Germany in that Euro semi against Germany) and can (accurately) twat a ball, plus has the height/build of someone like Lewandowski, along with a good first touch - ON PAPER he has "everything" a striker in his mould should but unlike Ozil's peak, didn't show it anywhere near often enough.

Pogba is somewhere in-between the two. I don't rate him at all as a player, in just the same way I wouldn't rate Ozil (current version) or Balotelli (most of his career) because they lack the ethic of a Henderson, professionalism of a Milner or the consistency of a Wijnaldum. How I try to think of it is whether or not someone like Pogba or Balotelli would be a very good player if they had minds similar to those of the lads above us and to be fair to Pogba's natural talent if he truly applied himself I definitely think there's a decent player there.

Thankfully (for the likes of ourselves) a bit of natural talent is nowhere near enough to make a player. Takes drive and also takes (the right kind of) confidence. Look at someone like Torres. I appreciate the weight of his transfer fee to Chelsea was huge and injuries robbed him of much of what made him great, but a player with a different mind on them would still find ways to be really effective. Torres couldn't, though nobody would say he wasn't World Class in his day.

Pogba and his situation do make for a lot of point-and-laugh for us though. Which is the important thing
    Hes average. be it,hes mentally not up to it. or hes not all great has a footballer and i think its a bit of both.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

He has very good feet for someone essentially too big to be a great footballer.

That size is his biggest weapon but also his biggest hindrance. At times he goes past players like a 15 year old goes past a 10 year old - size of stride length....but then that size also means he is limited in ability to turn and stop. He is in effect like a decent full grown man playing against a team of very skilful boys. An Athlete more than a great footballer - he would have been perfect for Wenger..

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    You're bang on the nail Sid, £80,000...

https://www.sportekz.com/football/liverpool-players-salaries/
    Thiago's on a good wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Thiago's on a good wedge.
    Wij and trent need a pay increase

Wij just a bit