Page 9 of 170 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161959109 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2021

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    An amazing manager who signed most of those players. There is a difference between injuries and a player just being shit.

Karius turned out to be shit
    Matip is a good CB - too injury prone but has had runs in the team where he has been brilliant
    Ox - I would say the same
    Shaq - Was always a squad player for me. He isn't shit but isn't consistently at the level needed. Again, injuries (and possibly attitude) have a role to play
    Minamino - still too early. I've said before. Coming into the team during CV19 lockdown, not playing in English football etc etc may have impacted his ability to contribute.
    Keita - injury ravaged. Has shown glimpses but never available to make a proper decision on him
    Klopp signed them all - there are 6 of them and they have all to varying degrees proved to be less then great buys for whatever reasons chosen

We have done some great business as I have said - Matip was even a free - but 80+ games in 5 and a half years? It just isn't enough. Klopp does get signings wrong just like every manager does. There is nothing miraculous in our transfer dealings either - there is just a fantastic manager making the most out of what he has.
    Last edited by Steveo; 27th November 2020 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Klopp signed them all - there are 6 of them and they have all to varying degrees proved to be less then great buys for whetevr reasons chosen
    Only Karius has left.

I think Matip, on a free, has been a good signing.
    Minamino has time. Too early to tell. Bear in mind that Klopp didn't start Robbo for ages.
    Ox I think has been a decent transfer tbh

I'd agree with Shaq and Keita.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Only Karius has left.

I think Matip, on a free, has been a good signing.
    Minamino has time. Too early to tell. Bear in mind that Klopp didn't start Robbo for ages.
    Ox I think has been a decent transfer tbh

I'd agree with Shaq and Keita.

I think we see this differently. The Ox has barely kicked a ball for us and Minamino wasn't even started in the game v Atalanta...?

Matip is arguably the best of the 6 to date BUT @ well over £25 million in wages even if he hasn't had a pay rise since he signed.. 80+ league games - it's around £300,000 a game... Not exactly brilliant on the bang for buck metric. He started well first season but then went down the pan. Until Virgil arrived he was miles off it too.

EDIT I realise Matip has actually only been here for 4 + years.. apologies. - so it's £21 million in wages but still quite expensive relative to games..
    Last edited by Steveo; 27th November 2020 at 03:56 PM.

Matip has been an excellent signing imo.

Oxo and Keita less so... (understatement of the day).

And tbf taking a gamble on the likes of Minamino and Karius wasn't a terrible idea - worst case we sell them on for decent money. Ok, that's not how it worked out for Loris, but hindsight is 20/20.

Shaq is an odd one, but getting a player of his quality for 13m is a good deal no matter how you look at it. He wasn't brought in to be a starter - that much was clear.

Our transfer record over the past three or four years has been by-and-large stellar imo. You can't get them all right - we seem to get more than our fair share of them right.

@Steveo: could you provide a comparison with other players regarding money/game? Would be interesting how Matip compares to others.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Matip - as I say since Virgil has got better and when fit. Just that we can’t rely on the fitness. Pretty crazy to think we are counting on that.

Will try and compare with another player - will take a while

Yeah, of course - too lazy to do it myself.

Though to be fair our two starter CBs being out for the season is a pretty freak occurence. And even now we have Fab who's been excellent in the role.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Yeah, of course - too lazy to do it myself.

Though to be fair our two starter CBs being out for the season is a pretty freak occurence. And even now we have Fab who's been excellent in the role.
    It is quite rare to have both out for the season BUT has happened before to Gomez.

FYI - I started looking at Firmino as a comparison in cost per game to Matip - roughly £250k a game for Bobby ( including his bumper £9 million a year upgraded deal ) vs £200k a game for Matip despite being on a Bosman.

All I am saying is - we tend to think of him as a costing very little when in fact this isn't true. He can be superb when fit.. The trouble being keeping him fit. We have a fair few who are just not fit to play nearly enough of the time.

I'm not sure looking at the wages per game is a valid way of calculating best value but I know why people do it

Both Ox and Matip played key roles in winning the league, CL, and getting to another CL final. And setting a load of club records. That has to be worth something. That's why we have a squad

I'm not ready to write Minamino off.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    If he was fit and available, would he start tomorrow ?
    Did his hamstring
    Out for a month .
    “We have to change, from doubters to believers—now.”

Quote Originally Posted by stevie harkness View Post
    There was a piece on This is Anfield in September explaining why we couldn't just go out and buy Johnny Foreigner because of the homegrown rule.

We are allowed 17 non homegrown players in a 25 man squad:

We finally found a club for Karius and Grujic so that we could bring in Thiago and Jota

Allisson, Adrian
    Robertson, Tsmikas, van Dijk, Matip
    Thiago, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita,
    Firmino, Mane, Salah, Minamino, Origi, Shaqiri, Jota

Does this mean we will be selling Origi in January or converting him into a centre back?

Or going for Ben White, Ethan Ampadu or Ezri Konsa who count as homegrown.
    Is Robertson seen as "foreign"
    I know brexshit is bad but that's taking the croissant!