Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool v Leicester City (Match Thread)

Gary Mac was twice the footballer Jimmy Milner is in terms of sheer ability but I couldnt see him filling in at fullback for a full season! Milner has been brilliant - I wasnt at all impressed by his signing even if it was on a free. but he has been immense.

It goes to show how important the mental aspect of the game is. Profrsssionalism and determination can take you a long way (Both Neville brothers, Keane, Kuyt are prime examples). In the same way talent alone isnt enough. Just think how good (better) Gazza could have been with the right attitude or players like Ravel Morrison or Adel Taarbat. That's why Ronaldo and Messi are so far ahead of the pack is beacuse they have a combination of ridiculous abilty paired with the proper mental make up to succeed.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    Was Garry Macca that important? I'm a bit too young to remember.
    Until you've heard a full coach or a bar sing the Gary Mac song you havn't lived.

Great to see a bit of nostalgia from the days when you could score from a free kick.

It was a really important free kick that one. Last minute of a game that we needed to win at the end of the season in order to qualify for Europe.
    James Milner though ...wow. Was it Jurgen or Brendan Rodgers who brought him in? I remember being underwhelmed when we were linked with him, how wrong i was. Mind you i am always wrong in that department. I was not enthusiastic about us getting Andy Robbo as a replacement for Moreno, I was even meh about us signing Sadio Mane. So what do i know.
    Dont think Milner can play two games a week though can he? the next few weeks are going to be hairy. I would expect to see both the Williams play against Atalanta, or is Rhys injured still? If we could get away with it i would love to see Billy the Kid again.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    It was a really important free kick that one. Last minute of a game that we needed to win at the end of the season in order to qualify for Europe.
    James Milner though ...wow. Was it Jurgen or Brendan Rodgers who brought him in? I remember being underwhelmed when we were linked with him, how wrong i was. Mind you i am always wrong in that department. I was not enthusiastic about us getting Andy Robbo as a replacement for Moreno, I was even meh about us signing Sadio Mane. So what do i know.
    Dont think Milner can play two games a week though can he? the next few weeks are going to be hairy. I would expect to see both the Williams play against Atalanta, or is Rhys injured still? If we could get away with it i would love to see Billy the Kid again.
    Rodgers signed him, but only had him a couple of months before Klopp came in.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Until you've heard a full coach or a bar sing the Gary Mac song you havn't lived.
    Only seen videos, though I think I might have heard it in Basel 2016.
    Etiam si omnes, ego non

In his post match interview yesterday

Interviewer “Leicester really targeted you down your flank in that game while you were at full back.”

Milly, “ Yeah I’d have done that too.”

Self deprecating, humble and always ready to laugh at himself. Truly great squad member and what a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    In his post match interview yesterday

Interviewer “Leicester really targeted you down your flank in that game while you were at full back.”

Milly, “ Yeah I’d have done that too.”

Self deprecating, humble and always ready to laugh at himself. Truly great squad member and what a guy.

To be fair to Milly though, I don't fully believe that they targeted that flank simply because Milly was there and deputising for Trent - as much as targeting our right flank was in their general game plan coming into the match regardless of who would have been playing there.

We've become accustomed to teams targeting that flank even when Trent is playing, as a lot of teams have settled on the notion that that Trent-Gomez (when both are fit) or Trent-Matip wing is our weakest defensive link and the easiest soft-underbelly part of our defense from which to get some attacking joy.
    Also it doesn't hurt that that's the wing that Vardy - their most lethal player - plays in from.

I also put it down to the fact that Robertson is a much better defender than either Trent or Milly and is unquestionably the best fullback at the club. He's also more pacy than Trent and the counter-attacks from his side when you lose that gamble and attack his wing almost always result in the type of cross-assist goal that we saw leading to our second goal.

Not to say that Trent himself isn't lethal, but it's all a game of percentages and gambles - and it all boils down to whom you'd rather gamble on.

Also, Mane is a better defensive tandem with Robertson and much better at tracking back and helping defensively than Mo is on the other side, which is another added reason why teams will be reluctant to attack from that flank (although, Jota's tracking back abilities look promising.....if not assuring. So I easily see Klopp slotting him at the wing and playing Salah in the middle more often in the future if he chooses to go with a front four (or alternatively, drop Firmino)).

It's overall our weakest defensive part and teams know that, but ironically, on Sunday it was possibly a mistake for Leicester to stick with that game plan since Milly is arguably better defensively than Trent (at the basics) if not at going forward.
    But again, that's Vardy's wing and if you're looking to exploit his pace against any of our back four for the game on the day, whom would you choose?
    Last edited by Crimson Dynasty; 23rd November 2020 at 08:29 PM.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Never mind FREE signings or transfer fees - Milner is a wonderful signing full-stop.

Well said Sid